The Gearhead Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

After eight weeks, our 2014 Passat's parts finally arrived so we can collect it from the shop where it's been collecting dust for two months, but only after paying them a $2,000 ransom.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

Hovannes wrote: 28 May 2024, 17:56 After eight weeks, our 2014 Passat's parts finally arrived so we can collect it from the shop where it's been collecting dust for two months, but only after paying them a $2,000 ransom.
IKR? BTDT, BTW, with our Explorer, needing a new electronic power steering assist, which requires replacement of the entire steering assembly, more or less. About the same as yours, roughly $2000. I wonder what was wrong with a hydraulic power steering pump? Anyway ...
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by michigander »

sweetandsour wrote: 29 May 2024, 03:08
Hovannes wrote: 28 May 2024, 17:56 After eight weeks, our 2014 Passat's parts finally arrived so we can collect it from the shop where it's been collecting dust for two months, but only after paying them a $2,000 ransom.
IKR? BTDT, BTW, with our Explorer, needing a new electronic power steering assist, which requires replacement of the entire steering assembly, more or less. About the same as yours, roughly $2000. I wonder what was wrong with a hydraulic power steering pump? Anyway ...
I've gotten spoiled with the electric assist steering. The precise feel and controlled assist is something that was never achieved (in my experience) with hydraulic assist. Whenever I get into a car with hydraulic assist, it just feels antiquated and sloppy.

However, I have never been burdened with a $2000 repair bill, nor can I speak to how these things last compared to the old school sytems, so I might be asking the same questions in that situation.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The Gearhead Thread

Post by FredS »

michigander wrote: 29 May 2024, 07:29
I've gotten spoiled with the electric assist steering. The precise feel and controlled assist is something that was never achieved (in my experience) with hydraulic assist. Whenever I get into a car with hydraulic assist, it just feels antiquated and sloppy.

However, I have never been burdened with a $2000 repair bill, nor can I speak to how these things last compared to the old school sytems, so I might be asking the same questions in that situation.
Sweetandsour is just exercising his geezer prerogative to complain about newfangled technology. Carburetors, incandescent headlights, bumper jacks, and bias ply tires were also fine, until they weren't.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by sweetandsour »

FredS wrote: 29 May 2024, 08:39
michigander wrote: 29 May 2024, 07:29

Sweetandsour is just exercising his geezer prerogative to complain about newfangled technology. Carburetors, incandescent headlights, bumper jacks, and bias ply tires were also fine, until they weren't.
That's right. Further, however, it's the "bundling" that gets me. If one were able to simply change out an electric assist unit or motor or whatever, by unplugging the old one and plugging in a new one it'd be nice. But the whole entire steering assembly must be replaced, which includes several wiring bundles, as they call it. Every light on the dashboard is lit up, including brake lights, traction lights, steering assist lights and others. The dealership never was able to clear the codes from the OBD or whatever, and finally I said just give me the car. We've been driving it for over a year now, and all of the warning lights on the dash are still lit up. I tried to clear the codes myself but they won't clear. All for one measly little PS assist motor. Now I need a drink, and a smoke.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hugo Drax »

Nor sure if it's the right place, but I just bought a 4runner to replace the Explorer. Turns out that if you put a race car engine into a glorified suv and hand it to a dip stick like me, you end up with a blown supercharger and a two month wait time for parts.

I bought this thing for the exact opposite reason. V6, air cooled quarter of a million mile truck not made by an American high off his gourd on edibles.

I love the lumbering thing. Should have purchased one years ago.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Gearhead Thread

Post by Hovannes »

At 6:00 AM this morning, I took Amtrak to Richmond, then BART to Colma, walked to the dealership (skirting past many of the cemeteries,the place is a necropolis after all) picked up the Passat and just arrived home.
I am tired.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

My son and I finally got hold of some dry ice. Put the main bearings on ice for 12 hours, heated up the cases with a torch, and installed them.
PXL_20240526_002124676.jpg
PXL_20240526_002124676.jpg (2.8 MiB) Viewed 691 times
PXL_20240526_003700361.jpg
PXL_20240526_003700361.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 691 times
PXL_20240526_002631975.jpg
PXL_20240526_002631975.jpg (2.31 MiB) Viewed 691 times
We have pulled the rebuilt crank into the left side of the center cases and will close up the cases as soon as I get some Yamabond 4.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Gearhead Thread

Post by GaryInVA »

Here's what we're using to pull the crank into the main bearings. The threaded rod attaches to the end of the crank.
PXL_20240601_142634727.jpg
PXL_20240601_142634727.jpg (2.75 MiB) Viewed 670 times
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein