An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Post Reply
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter
Posts: 1686
Joined: 10 Aug 2022, 08:34
Has thanked: 527 times
Been thanked: 273 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by Hovannes »

At 70, certain things now speak to me of youthful tastes. Things quite common 50 years ago, but seldom seen among the current young whippersnappers.
Here's a round up i came up with:
Bulldog shape pipes
Corduroy sportscoats (extra points for suede elbow patches)
Vehicles with manual transmissions
Leather wingtip (Brogue) shoes
Navy surplus pea-coats
Chambray shirts
Buck 110 Folding Hunter with leather belt pouch
Nikon SLR 35mm cameras
Simon and Garfunkle albums
Volkswagen air cooled bus & beetles

What did Ileave out? What shouldn't be on the list?
User avatar
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof
Posts: 1309
Joined: 05 Apr 2022, 17:26
Has thanked: 72 times
Been thanked: 149 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by Biff »

Hovannes wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 12:53 At 70, certain things now speak to me of youthful tastes. Things quite common 50 years ago, but seldom seen among the current young whippersnappers.
Here's a round up i came up with:
Bulldog shape pipes
Corduroy sportscoats (extra points for suede elbow patches)
Vehicles with manual transmissions
Leather wingtip (Brogue) shoes
Navy surplus pea-coats
Chambray shirts
Buck 110 Folding Hunter with leather belt pouch
Nikon SLR 35mm cameras
Simon and Garfunkle albums
Volkswagen air cooled bus & beetles

What did Ileave out? What shouldn't be on the list?
All of the above.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter
Posts: 1686
Joined: 10 Aug 2022, 08:34
Has thanked: 527 times
Been thanked: 273 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by Hovannes »

Biff wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 13:34
Hovannes wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 12:53 At 70, certain things now speak to me of youthful tastes. Things quite common 50 years ago, but seldom seen among the current young whippersnappers.
Here's a round up i came up with:
Bulldog shape pipes
Corduroy sportscoats (extra points for suede elbow patches)
Vehicles with manual transmissions
Leather wingtip (Brogue) shoes
Navy surplus pea-coats
Chambray shirts
Buck 110 Folding Hunter with leather belt pouch
Nikon SLR 35mm cameras
Simon and Garfunkle albums
Volkswagen air cooled bus & beetles

What did Ileave out? What shouldn't be on the list?
All of the above.
On or off? :?:
User avatar
Del
Deacon
Deacon
Posts: 3019
Joined: 11 Apr 2022, 22:08
Location: Madison, WI
Has thanked: 252 times
Been thanked: 428 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 12:53 What shouldn't be on the list?
Hair oil. Greasy kid stuff.

Or anything that makes a guy look like Gavin Newsom.
User avatar
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon
Posts: 3464
Joined: 08 Apr 2022, 13:47
Location: I could tell you, but…
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 652 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by JimVH »

Minimal, but mandatory:

Pocket knife
Handkerchief
Watch
Belt
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
User avatar
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman
Posts: 1769
Joined: 08 Apr 2022, 06:05
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 524 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by FredS »

Birkenstocks
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher
Posts: 262
Joined: 09 Oct 2022, 08:58
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by SlowToke »

pocket watches
combs you carry in your pocket (standard black comb not the massive colorful ones of the 80's)
spare change in your pocket
mustache wax
pack of cigarettes rolled in your shirt sleeve
vests in general
flat caps
flasks
Zippos (not this group, but the younger generations in general)
leather bifold wallets (have been replaced by credit card holders)
wallet chains (except the goth and emo crowds)
key rings
User avatar
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site
Posts: 1504
Joined: 08 Apr 2022, 15:54
Location: Sweet Home Alabama
Has thanked: 19 times
Been thanked: 267 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by coco »

SlowToke wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 10:02 combs you carry in your pocket (standard black comb not the massive colorful ones of the 80's)
The hard rubber ones of yore have been replaced with plastic ones that break.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
User avatar
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon
Posts: 3464
Joined: 08 Apr 2022, 13:47
Location: I could tell you, but…
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 652 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by JimVH »

coco wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 17:21
SlowToke wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 10:02 combs you carry in your pocket (standard black comb not the massive colorful ones of the 80's)
The hard rubber ones of yore have been replaced with plastic ones that break.
Seeing y'all write about hair combing implements triggers me. It's very insensitive of you.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher
Posts: 262
Joined: 09 Oct 2022, 08:58
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 56 times

An OFG's Young man's accoutrements

Post by SlowToke »

JimVH wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 19:32
coco wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 17:21
SlowToke wrote: 23 Nov 2023, 10:02 combs you carry in your pocket (standard black comb not the massive colorful ones of the 80's)
The hard rubber ones of yore have been replaced with plastic ones that break.
Seeing y'all write about hair combing implements triggers me. It's very insensitive of you.
combs are good for beards and goatee's too. :D
Post Reply