Packing

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
JudgeRusty
Sunday School Student

Packing

Post by JudgeRusty »

FYI:
I am posting a thread separately on a related issue.

Post tips/DOs/DON'T on pipe packing. Discuss different cuts and if they require a different pack.

I originally came to former CPS by way of online searches for Pipe Smoking tips and help.

The Library here needs stocking.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Packing

Post by Bloodhound »

I thought we were going to talk CCW guns...
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Packing

Post by Bloodhound »

I used the foldNstuff for coins and the drop-drop-tamp-drop-tamp methods and the foldNtwist for flakes...but now I just rub out everything and drop and tamp-lightly and drop and tamp-lightly until the bowl is full then a couple of sprinkles on top to get thing going when the fire is applied. This is the most consistent and works for everything but the most dense plugs like G&H Dark Plug...but you can't find that now so...

I liked the technique of the different kinds of packing of my pipe. I did not like the inconsistent burn and smoking that came with it...
Last edited by Bloodhound on 19 Oct 2022, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Packing

Post by Biff »

Bloodhound wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 10:28 I thought we were going to talk CCW guns...
One word: Washington State
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Packing

Post by joegoat »

I might just be the cram and jam type. I've simply developed a feel for packing a pipe. Ribbon, cake, flake, coin, or whatever else just seems to be a feel. I don't overthink it. I just fill my pipe. I enjoy learning about the techniques of others and theory behind them though.
The only issue I have on occasion is a bit if tobacco falling perfectly over the draught hole or being sucked up the shank.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Packing

Post by jmg »

Regardless of cut, I generally like to rub out my tobaccos before packing. Obviously for flakes and plugs, but even ribbon cuts I like to pull apart/separate a bit first. No real reason why other than I like the process.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Packing

Post by joegoat »

jmg wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:47 Regardless of cut, I generally like to rub out my tobaccos before packing. Obviously for flakes and plugs, but even ribbon cuts I like to pull apart/separate a bit first. No real reason why other than I like the process.
I like breaking up flakes. They're still chunky when I load them, but i've never had any luck with the folding method.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Packing

Post by jmg »

joegoat wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:53
jmg wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:47 Regardless of cut, I generally like to rub out my tobaccos before packing. Obviously for flakes and plugs, but even ribbon cuts I like to pull apart/separate a bit first. No real reason why other than I like the process.
I like breaking up flakes. They're still chunky when I load them, but i've never had any luck with the folding method.
Yeah, I don't fold them either. I break them up and then rub it all between the palms of my hands.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Packing

Post by joegoat »

jmg wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 22:02
joegoat wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:53
Yeah, I don't fold them either. I break them up and then rub it all between the palms of my hands.
I just break them up between my fingers a bit. Ends up as a broken flake consistency. What I just said sounds dumb...
Del
Usher
Usher

Packing

Post by Del »

joegoat wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 21:31 I might just be the cram and jam type. I've simply developed a feel for packing a pipe. Ribbon, cake, flake, coin, or whatever else just seems to be a feel. I don't overthink it. I just fill my pipe. I enjoy learning about the techniques of others and theory behind them though.
The only issue I have on occasion is a bit if tobacco falling perfectly over the draught hole or being sucked up the shank.
I am the same way. I don't overthink packing the pipe.

As I load my pipe, I am somewhat mindful that I don't want it to be too tight or too loose. Drop tobacco in, press it down just so. Top off with more tobacco. Press it down just so. Light it, tamp it flat, and light it again. Enjoy.

Pipeson notes that I like to frequently tamp and manage the tobacco and ash with my pipe nail. I don't know why; I just like fiddling with it.