First

FAQs, info, etc. No horsing around. The librarian is a ......
Stan
Sunday School Student

First

Post by Stan »

First topic in the library. So.......books.
Del
Usher
Usher

First

Post by Del »

As much as I love GK Chesterton, I have to go with Lord of the Rings.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

First

Post by SlowToke »

Reading Dune. Have seen the movie many times but never read the book. The book is better.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

First

Post by MrPiper »

SlowToke wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 22:56 Reading Dune. Have seen the movie many times but never read the book. The book is better.
After the book, the movies are difficult to accept. The first three books are game changing in the genre. After that, Herbert demonstrated his inability to walk away when he is on top. The attempt to keep the story tied to the original Dune for several THOUSAND years into the future becomes rediculous. To make the future books into a new univers or new and different story line MIGHT have been ok, but he really seemed to just be trying to cash in on his original success.

All that said, the first book is the best by far. Chldren, and God Emperor are ok, but a downward slope. The rest are kindling.
Sir Moose
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

First

Post by Sir Moose »

MrPiper wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 05:59
SlowToke wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 22:56 Reading Dune. Have seen the movie many times but never read the book. The book is better.
After the book, the movies are difficult to accept. The first three books are game changing in the genre. After that, Herbert demonstrated his inability to walk away when he is on top. The attempt to keep the story tied to the original Dune for several THOUSAND years into the future becomes rediculous. To make the future books into a new univers or new and different story line MIGHT have been ok, but he really seemed to just be trying to cash in on his original success.

All that said, the first book is the best by far. Chldren, and God Emperor are ok, but a downward slope. The rest are kindling.
Thank you for that warning. I just saw the newer movie recently. I haven't seen the old one. I've been thinking for a long time that I should read the book (not realizing that there were sequels). Perhaps when I do get around to reading the book, I'll stick with the first one and call it good.
Sir Moose
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

First

Post by Sir Moose »

Del wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 21:21 As much as I love GK Chesterton, I have to go with Lord of the Rings.
I'm re-reading LOTR. I last read it about ten or fifteen years ago. The movies almost ruined me. I thought I had a fair grasp of LOTR, but now that I'm reading it again, I'm realizing how far short the movies fall. From this point forward, I shall know that the movies ae a pale imitation of the original.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

First

Post by mcommini »

This thread died too young, so let's defibrillate.

Clear!

Ok, so a few thoughts- Lord of the Rings is my standard Lenten reading, not necessarily every year, but at least every other year.

The later Dune books do indeed fall off in quality as the series keeps going, but I would say Dune Messiah and Children of Dune are required reading.God-Emperor of Dune is only required reading if you plan on going through the rest of Herbert's series. The latter two books are poor on plot but have some interesting concepts- and I think would make better movies than trying to (yet again) adapt the first book. And just in case it needs to be said, stay away from the Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson continuations.

And as much as I love Lord of the Rings, I'd have to go with GK Chesterton (currently reading his autobiography).