Latest Pipe Purchase

Pipe & Hardware discussions
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by jmg »

Bloodhound wrote: 04 May 2022, 14:31 So I bought this one...it was inexpensive and will make a great pipe while fishing or bird hunting. Need a clean up and some wax and it should be good to go. I haven't purchased a pipe since before the old site crash...so this is fun...It is an old Iwan Ries, so maybe a Savenilli or Comoy make with IR name stamp

Looks like a Sav stem.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

jmg wrote: 04 May 2022, 20:00
Bloodhound wrote: 04 May 2022, 14:31 So I bought this one...it was inexpensive and will make a great pipe while fishing or bird hunting. Need a clean up and some wax and it should be good to go. I haven't purchased a pipe since before the old site crash...so this is fun...It is an old Iwan Ries, so maybe a Savenilli or Comoy make with IR name stamp

Looks like a Sav stem.
Thanks...I thought so as well. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I think it may have been cleaned up to the bare wood...it doesn't look like it has much if any finish on it. I am hoping it just needs a good finish, coat of wax or two and a polish...I am not one who like a way shiny finish, more of a matt user finish...so should be an easy clean up and ready to smoke.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

UPDATE:

Well the pipe arrived today. Just goes to show the pics on the auction are just a guide...the stem is stuck and will not come out. The finish is half gone and half glazed and cracking. The pipe is a lot smaller than I had thought it would be. But all in all it looks like I will be able to restore it and get it into my "Beater Pipes" rotation. Its in the freezer right now, so I can remove the stem. I will then put on my buffing wheel with some light paste and polish the rest of the finish off and then figure out where to go from there. The briar looks to be in good shape and the stem is clean with no chatter or cracks, so a polish and clean and buff and it should be good to go. With it in hand I am sure it is a Savinelli made pipe with the Iwan Reis stamping. It looks like it may have some really nice flame grain, so...not bad for less than $15 including shipping. It will make a nice companion pipe to my Parker Prince pipe and will make a great fishing/hunting pipe...nice pipe, good briar, but not deep as far as $$...as a matter of fact, cheaper than many of the new cobbs... :cool:
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

Update #2

Well an hour in the freezer and the stem came right out. I will finish removing the finish and then salt treatmeent and then new finish wax and smoke
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

I was re-reading some of these "older" posts. I never got any further on this pipe...I need to finish cleaning it/salt treatment and then a stain and wax...Seems like I should have had it done by now...oh well...I'll get to it one day
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by JimVH »

I found a box of estate pipes, mostly Dr. Grabow colored pipes. Since I had forgotten about them I'm claiming them as new.

The finish on most is a little sketchy, but there are a few that look really nice. I'm going to clean a couple up and add them to the rotation.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

JimVH wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 13:44 I found a box of estate pipes, mostly Dr. Grabow colored pipes. Since I had forgotten about them I'm claiming them as new.

The finish on most is a little sketchy, but there are a few that look really nice. I'm going to clean a couple up and add them to the rotation.
OK I promised myself I would slow my roll on asking for pics....but it seems like there should be pics
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by JimVH »

Bloodhound wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 15:10
JimVH wrote: 26 Jul 2022, 13:44 I found a box of estate pipes, mostly Dr. Grabow colored pipes. Since I had forgotten about them I'm claiming them as new.

OK I promised myself I would slow my roll on asking for pics....but it seems like there should be pics
Yeah, I kind of expected that. :)

Will do.

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by JimVH »

The St Patrick Petes rolled out today and smokingpipes had a couple in the 120 shape.

So I bought one.

Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Latest Pipe Purchase

Post by Bloodhound »

JimVH wrote: 01 Feb 2023, 10:27 The St Patrick Petes rolled out today and smokingpipes had a couple in the 120 shape.

So I bought one.

More cool points for you...Congrats
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...