Why The Darkness

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Why The Darkness

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 10:59 I have stepped into a few cute little Pentecostal churches with little more than a drum set, a projection screen, and a barstool in front of the folding chairs. I get that singing is central to their worship.... but this atmosphere informs their whole faith, whether they realize it or not. On one hand, it reflects an admirable spirit of holy poverty. On the other hand, it lacks some visual indication of "This space is set aside for the worship of Jesus Christ."
There is literally a place in KC MO named the Gospel Lounge, where services are held in a nightclub on Wednesday evenings. Tuttle might know of it. It's part of Knuckleheads Saloon.

One would hope it's a place where Christ meets desperate people, not necessarily where He matures them. Catches them on the edge, so to speak, but doesn't leave them standing there on the ledge forever.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

tuttle wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 05:29
joegoat wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 16:30
tuttle wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 13:30

I know what you're saying here.

But there is no such thing as a church without a liturgy.

Yes, I'm pedantic.
I've used that argument. I got an eye roll.
If, for whatever reason, you're interested, there's a book called Christ Centered Worship by a fellow named Chappell. He parses through liturgies from the early church onward and shows how each incorporated similar structures, even if they have more or less 'content'. The point being, that even a church that says they don't have a liturgy, has a liturgy. Could be a bad one, but they have one. Usually what they mean in reality is that they don't have a thought through liturgy. They have order, they have rituals, but they haven't thought through the implications (good or bad) in how the liturgy formatively edifies (or stupifies) the church.

So the ironic thing is that the choice for lights out during worship is a liturgical choice. There is a formative effect from that ritual.
I appreciate the book recommendation. I also agree with you completely.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by tuttle »

FredS wrote: 14 Mar 2023, 11:34 There is literally a place in KC MO named the Gospel Lounge, where services are held in a nightclub on Wednesday evenings. Tuttle might know of it. It's part of Knuckleheads Saloon.

One would hope it's a place where Christ meets desperate people, not necessarily where He matures them. Catches them on the edge, so to speak, but doesn't leave them standing there on the ledge forever.
I've heard of Knuckleheads, but didn't know about the Gospel Lounge. Sounds like a fantastic place for outreach.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by jruegg »

joegoat wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 06:06
jruegg wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 17:51
joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 16:57

It does make it easier to form a brand new theological concept or spirit given prophecy when you just flash one verse from shiver the new living "translation" up on the screen.
I actually like the NLT. It's one of the multiple versions I typically have open when doing study.
Opening and comparing for study is fine in my mind. Saying, "I like how the New Living Translation says it" as it flashes in the screen doesn't jive with me though.
I'm curious how you think that's different than saying, "I like how the English Standard Version says it."
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Why The Darkness

Post by Hovannes »

I'll throw my hat in the ring! :D

Darkness, candles and stained-glass invites listening to the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Lighting gives us a means to read the Word.
So it kind of all depends on what you're after,
or the financial abilities of whomever is paying the electric bill.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

jruegg wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 09:39
joegoat wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 06:06
jruegg wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 17:51

I actually like the NLT. It's one of the multiple versions I typically have open when doing study.
Opening and comparing for study is fine in my mind. Saying, "I like how the New Living Translation says it" as it flashes in the screen doesn't jive with me though.
I'm curious how you think that's different than saying, "I like how the English Standard Version says it."
I suppose it's the same thing... One verse should not theology make,f no matter what translation.
I have not personally found the NLT to be a strong enough translation to use it as a stand alone. Back when I was a blue letter Bible nut and reading the original Greek vs the different translations I came to appreciate the ESV as a stand alone Bible to carry.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

Hovannes wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 13:43 I'll throw my hat in the ring! :D

Darkness, candles and stained-glass invites listening to the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost.
Lighting gives us a means to read the Word.
So it kind of all depends on what you're after,
or the financial abilities of whomever is paying the electric bill.
s

I hear ya! There is no quietness to hear the still small voice though. Worship appears passionate, but is just distracting to me personally. The song lyrics are, just meh. They sang about "the wreckless love if Christ." I had to make sure I knew the definition of wreckless when I got home. One song last week could have been a Justin Bieber song being sung about a girl he knew in Jr. high without changing a single word.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Why The Darkness

Post by coco »

joegoat wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 17:54...They sang about "the wreckless love if Christ." I had to make sure I knew the definition of wreckless when I got home...
Whether the lights are on or not, there is no definition for "wreckless" that can properly be attributed to God's love.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

coco wrote: 20 Mar 2023, 16:14
joegoat wrote: 19 Mar 2023, 17:54...They sang about "the wreckless love if Christ." I had to make sure I knew the definition of wreckless when I got home...
Whether the lights are on or not, there is no definition for "wreckless" that can properly be attributed to God's love.
Couldn't have said it better myself!
Toro

Why The Darkness

Post by Toro »

joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 09:19 Why are so many "non denominational" churches so dark? I'm a recovering protestant and feel that our earthly worship should mimic our future heavenly worship. I can't even read the words in my Bible in some of these places.
That's not something I've taken the time to notice. Thanks for shedding light on it.