Why The Darkness

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

Why are so many "non denominational" churches so dark? I'm a recovering protestant and feel that our earthly worship should mimic our future heavenly worship. I can't even read the words in my Bible in some of these places.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Why The Darkness

Post by JimVH »

For the same reasons bars keep it dark. Promotes an intimate atmosphere and distracts from how bad the carpet looks.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by GaryInVA »

It also discourages the flock from reading the verses surrounding the passage to gain context.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

JimVH wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 11:54 For the same reasons bars keep it dark. Promotes an intimate atmosphere and distracts from how bad the carpet looks.
Tough to judge in text format, but I sense a healthy dash of sarcasm in the latter half of your statement, but not quite sure about the first half.

I'm convinced that carpets are the reason there have been so many baptist divisions.

Darkness promotes a private atmosphere not an intimate one. Corporate worship is about unity of believers.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

GaryInVA wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 16:32 It also discourages the flock from reading the verses surrounding the passage to gain context.
It does make it easier to form a brand new theological concept or spirit given prophecy when you just flash one verse from shiver the new living "translation" up on the screen.
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by jruegg »

joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 16:57
GaryInVA wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 16:32 It also discourages the flock from reading the verses surrounding the passage to gain context.
It does make it easier to form a brand new theological concept or spirit given prophecy when you just flash one verse from shiver the new living "translation" up on the screen.
I actually like the NLT. It's one of the multiple versions I typically have open when doing study.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Why The Darkness

Post by tuttle »

I think there is a time and place for darkness in worship (especially when using candles), but I hear what you are saying. I've attended some that not only shut off all the lights and spotlight the stage, but they also had fog machines, concert lighting, and a table full of earplugs (ironically placed next to the bibles).

It's a tactic. They think the best way to reach the 'unchurched' is to basically mimic the world. It's a way to remove real and perceived obstacles.

As an evangelistic tool? While it's not really my bag, I can't exactly say it hasn't worked, (even though there are some serious pitfalls to avoid), I know a number of people who God has drawn to Himself who began going to one of these goofy churches. Circuses are good at drawing spectators. But pragmatism isn't everything and I just can't get on board that these tactics can be good in the long run as a normal weekly gathering for the edification of the church.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Why The Darkness

Post by FredS »

Maybe you should try a denominational church.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

jruegg wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 17:51
joegoat wrote: 12 Mar 2023, 16:57
I actually like the NLT. It's one of the multiple versions I typically have open when doing study.
Opening and comparing for study is fine in my mind. Saying, "I like how the New Living Translation says it" as it flashes in the screen doesn't jive with me though.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Why The Darkness

Post by joegoat »

FredS wrote: 13 Mar 2023, 06:02 Maybe you should try a denominational church.
My wife likes where we are. She wants kids programs. She knows people there. She doesn't want anything with a liturgy. I want us going to a church as a family. That's another topic though.