Sell all you have?

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.

Sell all you have?

Y
25%
N
75%

Total votes: 4

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Sell all you have?

Post by Jocose »

Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Sell all you have?

Post by Del »

When we read the Gospels, it is always important to keep in mind the audience to whom Jesus is speaking.

Is He speaking to a crowd? Then He is speaking to all of humanity -- believers and non-believers. "Blessed are the Poor in Spirit."

Is He speaking privately to His Apostles? Then we need to read this with some discernment... sometimes it means He is speaking to His believers, as when He explained His parables. Sometimes it means he is instructing His priests and bishops in their mission to be shepherds of His Church, as when He ordered them "When you gather to remember Me, DO THIS."

Is He speaking to just one person? Then His words are for that individual. We need to read this with a LOT of discernment, because these words were not recorded in the Gospels for no other reason. We must ask: Is Jesus calling me to this mission as well?

Jesus spoke the words in the OP to The Rich Young Man. Jesus knew that The Rich Young Man was attached to his possessions, and that he would have to let go of that particular attachment if he will enter the Kingdom of God. "Jesus looked on him with love," and invited him to let go.

Obviously, we cannot sustain a culture in which everyone sells all he has and lives in holy poverty. How could we raise our children? How could we govern our society?

Yet millions of Christians have answered this specific call through the ages. Monasteries and convents were filled with Christians who dedicated themselves to holy poverty, caring for each other and the surrounding communities -- especially the poor. St. Francis of Assisi (considered to be the most Christ-like of Christian saints) chose to live this as radically as possible. Mother Teresa embraced poverty and care for the poorest of the poor. Both still attract new followers to this day.

I am grateful to my many friends (including some here on CPS) who live lives of holy poverty with their families. They are inspiration and examples for me.
======================================
Whenever I encounter this passage, I try to take stock of myself. My modern, middle-class Western life is pretty damned rich, after all. Am I overly attached to my possessions? Am I generous with my time, talent, and treasure? Do I spend too much time watching the stock market, etc.?

Personally, I confess that I don't suffer from greed. (I have other temptations and vices that require my constant attention and virtue.) I have enjoyed the work of financial stewardship for my family. As a husband and a father, this was my duty.... not to sell it all, but to steward it righteously.

We are entering retirement with adequate savings and even some excess. We are looking forward to sharing this generously, especially to help some Catholic schools and homeschooling families in our care.

I am deeply grateful for the words of Jesus regarding money and wealth. He did a lot to guide my heart in this work.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Sell all you have?

Post by Hovannes »

Hmmm.....what if you don't own any of your stuff? Say it's all rented from the government and if you don't pay the rent (taxes) the government wants it back? If you've given it all away, the government is defrauded, no?
Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's. Mark 12:17
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Sell all you have?

Post by FredS »

Del's right. We're not all called to live as deadbeats, relying on God (through human charity of course) to provide three hots and a cot each day. We are called though, to share what we have, a little or a lot as we are able.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Sell all you have?

Post by Hugo Drax »

If Jesus calls me, sure. Things are just things, after all.
Weenies are us.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Sell all you have?

Post by sweetandsour »

Hugo Drax wrote: 16 May 2023, 20:44 If Jesus calls me, sure. Things are just things, after all.
This is correct. Jesus said pretty much the same thing to the 12, although they didn't have as much to lose, materially, as the RYR.

He repeats himself throughout the Gospel, deny yourself, take up the cross, whoever loses his life will save it, etc.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Sell all you have?

Post by Hovannes »

Perhaps this is in the Bible just to piss off the Jesuits?

Hugo has the right idea of course.
We are also called to be stewards, that means taking care of whatever we possess, for as long as we possess it.
So, check your motor oil, take your dog for walks, tell your bride you love her, and hold your children tight.
Del
Usher
Usher

Sell all you have?

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 17 May 2023, 07:07 Perhaps this is in the Bible just to piss off the Jesuits?
Reminds me of the old joke: A Jesuit and a Franciscan were walking down the street together. Some joker walks up and says, "Hey, Fathers! How many novenas do I need to say to get myself a Cadillac?"

The Franciscan replies with, "What's a 'Cadillac'?"

The Jesuit says, "What's a 'novena'?"

As tomorrow is Ascension Thursday, we are about the join the First Novena as we pray with the Apostles for the Coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost.
cobster
Sunday School Student

Sell all you have?

Post by cobster »

I have been thinking about this for awhile? I'm in a interesting crossroads in life? With this economy and my work requirements I have to live within 30min of my job but can't afford a house within 30min of my Job and being close to retirement in NY state. I have been looking live a nomad lifestyle? I'm converting a schoolbus to live in 50% or more of the time. My walk? I just want Jesus.
I care not for land or mansions or alot of stuff?? I would love to retire and go into full time ministry. I keep questioning myself looking at Jesus and thinking whats keeping me from being like them? Like in the begining of Acts were Peter heals the handicap man?
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Sell all you have?

Post by coco »

That's it. I'm selling the cat.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.