Rosary

We never get tired of hearing these tales
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

I might be opening up a weird can of worms here, but I'm interested in obtaining a rosary.

Away with your shock and awe, I'll have you know that this is in no way a step towards Onyx's prophecy that I'll become Roman Catholic.

However, this might be a disappointment to both Protestants and Catholics as I have certainly overcome my scruples regarding the use of rope and beads as an aid to prayer and contemplation. I've had a number of discussions with other believers regarding this and have been persuaded.

So I'm in the market for some beads and I would be remiss to fail to tap into the bountiful resource that is CPS.

Thus far I've been drawn to this:

Partly because the length and the symbols of the cross meet my contemplative needs, but after deep diving how this particular rosary (The Irish Penal Rosary) came into being, I find that it serve as a reminder of humility in obtaining one (if not a weird form of holy irony), as its creation was born out of the persecution from my ancestors. The English Protestants forbid Irish Catholics from using their religious objects and a shortened rosary was created in order to hide it easier from the law.

Well, the same type of thing is happening today. Folks fear the rosary. Especially the baby killing folks. And laws are again popping up in the UK and fears are swirling in the US regarding them. This particular rosary seems like a symbol of defiance to all of that.

Anyway, that's a bit of where my head is at. Any thoughts on a baptist using a rosary for aid in prayer, to also serve as a symbol of humility and a type of unity with brothers in resistance to demonic tyranny? Or is it just a bunch of cultural appropriation...
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Rosary

Post by Wosbald »

+JM+

That's a mighty nice rosary, I tell you what.

But Christofascists weaponizing the Rosary as a way of attacking the institutions of Liberal Democracy is no more related to the Rosary than is the KKK burning the Cross related to the Cross or are Mexican Drug Gangs appropriating the Virgin of Guadalupe related to the Virgin of Guadalupe.

As long as one steers clear of such perfidious spirits, then I'd say it's all good.

FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Rosary

Post by FredS »

As Wos wrote, using the rosary to symbolically give the finger to the man every time you start your car or unlock the front door misses the point. Even supposing your research in to this particular form is accurate, it wasn't used to strike fear into anyone or any institution. English Protestants weren't idiots - if Catholic religious objects were banned, this miniature would have been banned as well and would have been used discreetly. Which is the exact opposite of what you're trying to do.

It's great though, if you want to use it privately or discretely to help turn your focus towards Christ, but don't use it as a blackjack to thump others with. Like many other 'symbols', your intent matters. Stick with those corny Affliction style black t-shirts or a cross tattooed on your forearm if you want to 'boldly' show your faith and defiance to the world.

my thoughts anyway
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

:think:

I think I've been misinterpreted. It's likely a failure in how I was expressing myself.

I was merely pondering what drew me to that particular rosary.

Prayer is powerful. The rosary is both an aid for prayer and a symbol for prayer. I get no sense of flipping the bird or weaponizing it in some Christofascist, fear-striking way. I don't think the Irish who utilized this in the penal days did so as a weaponization or fighting the Man. Their piety, rather than their theology, attracted me in that regard. The lack of 'activism' in this is the draw. The type of defiance you guys seem to be taking me for would be like a sympathizing for Guy Fawkes. Of which, there is none. No, this is the same type of defiance that I admire guys like Latimer for. Holding fast to what you believe in the face of death. Seemed to me like an interesting way to share in the same Spirit that led the Irish Catholics to use this particular rosary.

I hadn't even dreamed of LARPing about with it.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Rosary

Post by FredS »

Well then, LARP on buddy.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Rosary

Post by tuttle »

wut
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Rosary

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 13:16:think:

I think I've been misinterpreted. It's likely a failure in how I was expressing myself.

[…]
To be fair, you did mention: "Folks fear the rosary. Especially the baby killing folks. And laws are again popping up in the UK and fears are swirling in the US regarding them."

My only point is that, though the people you mention may have bad reasons to fear "the Rosary", the fear of the Rosary being coopted by a very real, rising Christofascist spirit would not be among them. "Baby killing folks", whilst wrongly fearing some stuff, might well rightly fear some other stuff — some other stuff, a fear of which you or I would do well to share.

But if you already got all that from starting-gun, then go for it!

jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Rosary

Post by jmg »

If it helps draw you to prayer and/or helps to keep your attention fixed on Christ, I don't see an issue. "Cultural appropriation" be damned. I use post-it notes on my computer before I leave work each day to remind me of things to do the next morning, I see no difference (I don't mean that as a slight to any of my Catholic friends here).
Last edited by jmg on 06 Jan 2023, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Rosary

Post by Hugo Drax »

Man, there are some responses here that are bat guano insane even by CPS standards.

Use whatever aid that helps you pray, brother. Beads, knuckles, heck, the desert fathers used pebbles.

I like the design of the one you've chosen and the company is run by good people. If it doesn't work out someone will gladly take it off your hands.
Weenies are us.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Rosary

Post by jmg »

Hugo Drax wrote: 06 Jan 2023, 16:37 Man, there are some responses here that are bat guano insane even by CPS standards.

Use whatever aid that helps you pray, brother. Beads, knuckles, heck, the desert fathers used pebbles.

I like the design of the one you've chosen and the company is run by good people. If it doesn't work out someone will gladly take it off your hands.
I like your style.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden