"Misinformation"

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

"Misinformation"

Post by Thunktank »

FredS wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:35
Thunktank wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 12:17 . . .I am also critical of the populist movement within the Republican Party. While recognizing the “common man” it has rejected our experts, our institutions who it views as overbearing or threatening to their freedoms (and I agree that sometimes it can be). . .
Dear old Bob Dole once said it seemed like people wanted Forrest Gump running things. A heroic idiot who bumbled his way through life, surviving only on luck. That eventually played out in Trumps election. He's certainly not a fool, nor a "common man", but he ran on that platform. I think he's a smart guy who loves his country and most of the people he shares it with and he tried to take back ground that the common man had lost over the preceding 30 years. I don't think most of his voters realized how viciously the left would fight to retake that ground and more. I never voted for him, but my goodness, I never imagined how fast and furious the Democrats would be once they came back to power.
Many Democrats, myself included were not surprised by January 6. We saw something like that coming. No joke. We saw clearly his rhetoric, his words bearing falsities and how dangerous he often was. I never believed he was guilty of Russian collusion, I didn’t know, but I didn’t put it past him either. I still don’t. The Democrats in power did go on a witch hunt. They didn’t need to, there was already plenty to worry about that we do know. I used to vote for Republicans sometimes. I won’t until they collectively deal with their anti democratic tendencies.

On the flip side, I’m well aware of the lefts own devices that take some worthy topics like racism and colonialism too far that actually can create more racial tensions. They also disrespect some of the freedoms Americans are to enjoy. I won’t vote for those folks either. Which in California is getting harder to do. Of course, I do not see the same violations of those things that many here on CPS do. But but I fully admit that some Democratic politicians positively disrespect those rights and freedoms, not merely seek a balance of common good and freedom.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

"Misinformation"

Post by Del »

Thunktank wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 12:17 The populist American left in it’s worse cases come up with stupid and antagonist terms like “defund the police” then riot and block traffic and burn businesses and beat up patriotic veterans who would dare confront their misbehavior. They will without authority destroy monuments often without clear purpose or mandate other than to spew their own version of hatred to counter past wrongdoing and imperfections of history.

So what’s the common thread? Well, I would like to show that in order to have a well functioning society we need liberalism to return to its root purposes and embrace the whole of the people from the wealthy to the poor the educated experts to the hard worker. We need them all.
I haven't found any evidence of racism on the populist Right. Mostly because the only thing we are fiercely intolerant about is racists in our company. Immediate smackdown, even online.

But I have seen the anti-immigration sentiment that you speak of. I always remind right-thinking folks that we NEED controlled immigration, just as we needed it during the Trump economy, because we need workers. We don't have enough children to grow our own economy, or even to merely keep up.

I still feel like wokism and cancel culture are elitist problems. Kevin Hart got fired from hosting the Oscars over some very old jokes.... but only because it was the Film Academy elites doing the firing. Dave Chappelle wasn't cancelled on NETFLIX for stuff he said that month, because the fans got to have a say about that.

I think of lot of those silent liberals are still doing good work in the culture. They've just quietly drifted over to populist Right, where they don't have to be so careful about what they say all the time.

As for wokism: Less than 10% of polled Americans actually believe the LGBT and CRT ideology.... and most of those are very young people, recently indoctrinated in public schools and universities. Even "DEFUND THE POLICE" was never a popular sentiment, in spite of all the lawn signs.

The lawn signs are a big clue. The primary mark of the populist Left is its virtue signaling. Always got to "support the current thing." What used to be called "politically correct." Afraid to voice any contrary opinions, or even take their masks off when they don't want to wear them.

They are afraid of the people we call the WOKE SCOLDS. People have quit talking to old friends and family members -- because someone didn't want to take the vaccine! Intolerance is fierce among the populist left.

Please tell me if I'm wrong. I just know that I have to be very careful what I say around strangers in Madison.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

"Misinformation"

Post by Del »

Thunktank wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:55
FredS wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:35
Thunktank wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 12:17 . . .I am also critical of the populist movement within the Republican Party. While recognizing the “common man” it has rejected our experts, our institutions who it views as overbearing or threatening to their freedoms (and I agree that sometimes it can be). . .
Dear old Bob Dole once said it seemed like people wanted Forrest Gump running things. A heroic idiot who bumbled his way through life, surviving only on luck. That eventually played out in Trumps election. He's certainly not a fool, nor a "common man", but he ran on that platform. I think he's a smart guy who loves his country and most of the people he shares it with and he tried to take back ground that the common man had lost over the preceding 30 years. I don't think most of his voters realized how viciously the left would fight to retake that ground and more. I never voted for him, but my goodness, I never imagined how fast and furious the Democrats would be once they came back to power.
Many Democrats, myself included were not surprised by January 6. We saw something like that coming. No joke. We saw clearly his rhetoric, his words bearing falsities and how dangerous he often was. I never believed he was guilty of Russian collusion, I didn’t know, but I didn’t put it past him either. I still don’t. The Democrats in power did go on a witch hunt. They didn’t need to, there was already plenty to worry about that we do know. I used to vote for Republicans sometimes. I won’t until they collectively deal with their anti democratic tendencies.

On the flip side, I’m well aware of the lefts own devices that take some worthy topics like racism and colonialism too far that actually can create more racial tensions. They also disrespect some of the freedoms Americans are to enjoy. I won’t vote for those folks either. Which in California is getting harder to do. Of course, I do not see the same violations of those things that many here on CPS do. But but I fully admit that some Democratic politicians positively disrespect those rights and freedoms, not merely seek a balance of common good and freedom.
"I used to vote for Republicans sometimes. I won’t until they collectively deal with their anti democratic tendencies."

Can you unpack that for me? I am genuinely curious what that looks like from your perspective.
===============================

I've had a change of enthusiasm while CPS was offline. I'm done with arguing. The avalanche is already falling. The forces of cultural, political, global and economic chaos are going to tumble until they rest. The silent people are either woke or awake by now. Parents are watching the educators of their kids. Inflation is here and recession is coming. China is eyeing Taiwan hungrily. In June, the Supreme Court will rule the future of abortion law in America. There will be a Red Tsunami in November. Nobody wants to talk to Joe.

I'm not letting any of that ruin a great discussion here, over briar and bourbon!
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

"Misinformation"

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:57 The lawn signs are a big clue. The primary mark of the populist Left is its virtue signaling. Always got to "support the current thing."
Hey pal, we had a yard sign Mrs FredS brought home from work when she was in the UC Health Care system. A 3ft square of red coroplast that read "Kindness is good for your health". The wind finally twisted it up enough that I was allowed to throw it away.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Deacon
Deacon

"Misinformation"

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 14:48
Del wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 13:57 The lawn signs are a big clue. The primary mark of the populist Left is its virtue signaling. Always got to "support the current thing."
Hey pal, we had a yard sign Mrs FredS brought home from work when she was in the UC Health Care system. A 3ft square of red coroplast that read "Kindness is good for your health". The wind finally twisted it up enough that I was allowed to throw it away.
That's a nice sign. It doesn't assert that your neighbors don't care about Black lives as much as you do, or anything like that.