1911 of choice or .357 of choice?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

GO!
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

I’m fond of the 1911, but not very knowledgeable of the makers. I know several folks who swear by Kimber products.

As for .357, I’m a huge Ruger fan. I’ve owned or handled a number of their single and double action models and have been happy with each.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by Thunktank »

For me, the only place I use and carry a side arm (and rarely at that) is when I’m way out in the middle of nowhere on a hunting or scouting trip. I’m usually carrying a long arm anyway so why take a side arm too?

Anyway, a .357 would be my choice. A Smith & Wesson model 19 Classic. I love my S&W N Frame Model 25 in 45 Colt, but way too big most if the time. A 4 inch 357 would be perfect for an outdoorsman’s tool.

1911s are cool too though and if I wanted to carry a gun concealed that would be the one I would go with or a snub nose 357 loaded with +P 38 specials when I really wanted something small, a S&W Airweight.
DLJake

Post by DLJake »

The prompt for this thread is a good old fashion older brother punk.

One night we're catching up on the phone, he lives in Topac, AZ and is a fervent 2A supporting human. Has a legal concealed carry and everything.

I tell him I miss my old S&W Model K .357 that I used to wear open carry a long time back also in AZ.

Now I gotta listen to him bro-splain it to me for the next 45 minutes on how much better the .45 is to any .357.

Ok, whatever.

A few days later in my mailbox is a package from my brother. A 50 round box of .45 ACP rounds.

Yellow sticky note attached said,

OK. Now you got the ammo. Go get a real gun. Pussy.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

I like the 1911 in general. A classic, simple, and reliable design that has stood the test of time for many decades.

My personal version is actually a Taurus 9mm. Not a .45 or .357.

It is the perfect caliber to stop who needs to be stopped and has exactly enough recoil to chamber perfectly with very minimal kick.

It's generally too big to concealed carry for me though. I prefer a Glock 43/9mm in an IWB holster called the "Mini Tuck" from Crossbreed Holsters.

I ONLY carry a racked, and loaded pistol when I am awake.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

What is the intended purpose / use for said weapon?
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

A 1911 from a reputable manufacturer with a minimum of 8 rounds would be my first choice. A good revolver with six rounds of .357 is no slouch, but I'll carry eight over six any day.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

Never owned a .357. Frequently pocket carry an air weight. My kimber tactical ultra carry ii (gayest name for a gun, if you ask me) is magnificent, but not much use for summertime carry.
Weenies are us.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Biff wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 21:16 What is the intended purpose / use for said weapon?
Shootin' stuff
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

DLJake wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 15:46 The prompt for this thread is a good old fashion older brother punk.

One night we're catching up on the phone, he lives in Topac, AZ and is a fervent 2A supporting human. Has a legal concealed carry and everything.

I tell him I miss my old S&W Model K .357 that I used to wear open carry a long time back also in AZ.

Now I gotta listen to him bro-splain it to me for the next 45 minutes on how much better the .45 is to any .357.

Ok, whatever.

A few days later in my mailbox is a package from my brother. A 50 round box of .45 ACP rounds.

Yellow sticky note attached said,

OK. Now you got the ammo. Go get a real gun. Pussy.
You know, that's an argument I've always found easy to win. Ask him to stand still and tell you if it hurts!
Weenies are us.