What Made You Happy Today

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

Hugo Drax wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 13:46
sweetandsour wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 13:29 I'm currently reading a story from ~1947, about fishing in NY Harbor and ran across this line:

"Another species, the Baptist flounder, is caught in abundance but thrown back; it goes bad shortly after it comes out of the water, whence its name."
This made me happy. Do the jewfish next.
This is epic as I hear Hugo's voice.

The smiles here are not so great

Kudos
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
DLJake

Post by DLJake »

I got a new coffee table. The Amish made it. I have never seen an Amish community anywhere in NC. However, my view here is quite narrow.

I do have experience with seeing Amish people.

Like this one time my now 2nd x-wife and I were doing a cabin rent for a weekend in Lancaster County, PA. Amish farms and homes are pristine.

Back to the story. Our cabin was at the end of a fairly long gravel drive. The sun was starting to set so I loaded up some Carter Hall grabbed the pups and took a stroll down the drive. Momma was cooking up some yummy grub.

I get to the end at the 2 lane blacktop. Across the street is an Amish farm. The patch I could see was a horse area. I'm enjoying the pipe and the sky and over yonder is a young adult Amish man on a horse and was doing some training drills. I love that stuff. Baby Spontaneous Rodeos are awesome.

That boy was putting that steed through some paces. Doing this and that and looking good. Then the horse said, OK dork boy, I am done. And then went from 35mph to zero immediately. Old boy went flying. He didn't stay long on the ground. Grabbed his hat and walked the horse away slowly from my view. He was not in the saddle.

I so wanted to be at his dinner table that night.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

DLJake wrote: 22 Sep 2022, 21:25 I got a new coffee table. The Amish made it. I have never seen an Amish community anywhere in NC. However, my view here is quite narrow.

I do have experience with seeing Amish people.

Like this one time my now 2nd x-wife and I were doing a cabin rent for a weekend in Lancaster County, PA. Amish farms and homes are pristine.

Back to the story. Our cabin was at the end of a fairly long gravel drive. The sun was starting to set so I loaded up some Carter Hall grabbed the pups and took a stroll down the drive. Momma was cooking up some yummy grub.

I get to the end at the 2 lane blacktop. Across the street is an Amish farm. The patch I could see was a horse area. I'm enjoying the pipe and the sky and over yonder is a young adult Amish man on a horse and was doing some training drills. I love that stuff. Baby Spontaneous Rodeos are awesome.

That boy was putting that steed through some paces. Doing this and that and looking good. Then the horse said, OK dork boy, I am done. And then went from 35mph to zero immediately. Old boy went flying. He didn't stay long on the ground. Grabbed his hat and walked the horse away slowly from my view. He was not in the saddle.

I so wanted to be at his dinner table that night.
The lad should have climbed back on the hurricane deck if only for a few seconds before putting up that hoss. Never let a horse have the last word.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I replaced and packed the front wheel bearings on my old Raleigh Sports.
Ten ball bearings on each end of the axle so 20 ball bearings in total.
I've never packed loose bearings before.
I'm just happy they didn't bounce away to infinity and beyond.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Hovannes wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 11:36 I replaced and packed the front wheel bearings on my old Raleigh Sports.
Better double check that. Pretty sure there should be eleven per side.

Pro Tip: If you do those rebuilds on the living room carpet, loose parts won't bounce/roll away. Or you can nail a section of carpet on your workbench. Of course then you're wife's going to want to know why there's a section missing from the living room carpet.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

FredS wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 13:04
Hovannes wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 11:36 I replaced and packed the front wheel bearings on my old Raleigh Sports.

Pro Tip: If you do those rebuilds on the living room carpet, loose parts won't bounce/roll away. Or you can nail a section of carpet on your workbench. Of course then you're wife's going to want to know why there's a section missing from the living room carpet.
You tube says ten per side. But You tube says a lot of crap.
For working on little parts, I prefer a bar matImage
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

We finally closed on our house today (new construction). Original closing date was in April. They moved the closing date 11 times.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

GaryInVA wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 19:02 We finally closed on our house today (new construction). Original closing date was in April. They moved the closing date 11 times.
Congratulations!
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Hovannes wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 17:04

Loose ball bearings are cheap. I usually get a few extras when I'm buying.

Also, I've always heard that you should shove as many as will fit and then take one out.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

coco wrote: 24 Sep 2022, 07:50
Hovannes wrote: 23 Sep 2022, 17:04

Loose ball bearings are cheap. I usually get a few extras when I'm buying.

Also, I've always heard that you should shove as many as will fit and then take one out.
I used Shell Darina grease for packing the bearings, which is what I happened to have available as the can belong to my dad, who passed in 1981.
Not having to buy a new tube of grease made me very happy!