Fall crops...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Fall crops...

Post by jmg »

Anybody growing fall/cold weather crops? We've always done a big summer garden, but this is my first time try anything in the fall and/or winter. I really should have done more homework. However, I've currently got the very beginnings of kale, turnips, radishes, and cabbage coming up. We'll see.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Del
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by Del »

Nothing happening here until after the ground thaws.

Well.... dairy farmers are spreading manure like crazy on the bare fields, trying to get their holding tanks and manure pits emptied before the snow falls.

"Autumn is in the air" in Wisconsin.
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Fall crops...

Post by DLJake »

Bear and I were south from the campus looking for horse farms. A couple of trusty solid spots produced no horses but, the fields were laid in for late November. New grass everywhere just waiting to be nibbled on.

We moved on and soon came upon a good sized cotton field. Not a stellar crop but picturesque as can be.

Reminded me of a short season I spent in Jackson, TN back when.

Lots of cotton there. This time of year it was everywhere. Trucks with a bail backs 14 foot high, cotton in all the ditches, blown up on the steps of everything; I found it quite beautiful.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Fall crops...

Post by coco »

DLJake wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:29 Bear and I were south from the campus looking for horse farms. A couple of trusty solid spots produced no horses but, the fields were laid in for late November. New grass everywhere just waiting to be nibbled on.

We moved on and soon came upon a good sized cotton field. Not a stellar crop but picturesque as can be.

Lots of cotton there. This time of year it was everywhere. Trucks with a bail backs 14 foot high, cotton in all the ditches, blown up on the steps of everything; I found it quite beautiful.
A field near work
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 17:26 Anybody growing fall/cold weather crops? We've always done a big summer garden, but this is my first time try anything in the fall and/or winter. I really should have done more homework. However, I've currently got the very beginnings of kale, turnips, radishes, and cabbage coming up. We'll see.
I waited a little too late, I thought, to plant seeds. So I bought small already-started plants at a local feed store/nursery, and planted them last week. Mustard, collards, turnips and kale. They're in a raised bed; I'm letting my tilled ground rest this fall, and will turn it over in early spring next year.

Hopefully will have mustard greens ready for Thanksgiving.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by sweetandsour »

coco wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 04:33
DLJake wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 19:29 Bear and I were south from the campus looking for horse farms. A couple of trusty solid spots produced no horses but, the fields were laid in for late November. New grass everywhere just waiting to be nibbled on.

A field near work
One of the most memorable dove hunts I've been on was in a harvested cotton field. It seemed like there was almost as much cotton in the field after harvest as there was before the harvest.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Fall crops...

Post by FredS »

The sugar beet harvest is going strong here. Took a minute for me to figure out why there were trucks driving around full of head-sized 'rocks' when we first moved here a few years ago. This area was once quite prosperous from extracting sugar from the locally grown beets. The sugar beet factory is now the city maintenance garage and the surrounding neighborhood is still populated by Mexican immigrants in small and immaculately kept homes.

Winter wheat is in the ground. The last cutting of alfalfa was done 2-3 weeks ago. Ranchers have rounded up their cows from the mountains and moved them to the winter corrals. Silage piles are in place and covered. Ready for the first widespread snow that's expected later this week.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 05:57 The sugar beet harvest is going strong here. Took a minute for me to figure out why there were trucks driving around full of head-sized 'rocks' when we first moved here a few years ago. This area was once quite prosperous from extracting sugar from the locally grown beets. The sugar beet factory is now the city maintenance garage and the surrounding neighborhood is still populated by Mexican immigrants in small and immaculately kept homes.

Winter wheat is in the ground. The last cutting of alfalfa was done 2-3 weeks ago. Ranchers have rounded up their cows from the mountains and moved them to the winter corrals. Silage piles are in place and covered. Ready for the first widespread snow that's expected later this week.
Sugar beets in Colorado -- yeah. I read Centennial.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Fall crops...

Post by jmg »

sweetandsour wrote: 02 Nov 2022, 05:08
jmg wrote: 01 Nov 2022, 17:26 Anybody growing fall/cold weather crops? We've always done a big summer garden, but this is my first time try anything in the fall and/or winter. I really should have done more homework. However, I've currently got the very beginnings of kale, turnips, radishes, and cabbage coming up. We'll see.
I waited a little too late, I thought, to plant seeds. So I bought small already-started plants at a local feed store/nursery, and planted them last week. Mustard, collards, turnips and kale. They're in a raised bed; I'm letting my tilled ground rest this fall, and will turn it over in early spring next year.

Hopefully will have mustard greens ready for Thanksgiving.
I should have built more raised beds and just planted in them. That said, however, I did sew about 10 lbs of crimson clover seed as a cover crop on the area of my garden that isn’t being used…which is about 70% of it.This should put some good nitrogen back in the soil.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Fall crops...

Post by Jocose »

I thought this was going to be a sinsemilla harvest thread.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.