Red Wine?

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Red Wine?

Post by JimVH »

I've always been fond of this one:

“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Del
Usher
Usher

Red Wine?

Post by Del »

It is usually best to avoid concord grape wine.

Most reds are drinkable, and a guy can prefer one more than another. But concord wine is very distinct and divisive. You'll either love it or hate it, and most drinkers who enjoy wine will push the glass away after one sip.

However I have a friend who makes his own wine from concord grapes that he grows himself, and somehow his home-brew is worthy of a second glass.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Red Wine?

Post by sweetandsour »

My homemade muscadine wine, made from my back yard mini-vineyard, is more of a rose', which I guess is a "red". Anyway, I'm told that it's very decent.
IMG_20211108_161623795.jpg
IMG_20211108_161623795.jpg (4.56 MiB) Viewed 557 times
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Red Wine?

Post by Bloodhound »

I have also become a fan of Chianti...It is a great warm weather/sitting on the porch wine. I also like it with lighter meals, sandwiches and salads and such.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Red Wine?

Post by Hugo Drax »

Bloodhound wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:32 I have also become a fan of Chianti...It is a great warm weather/sitting on the porch wine. I also like it with lighter meals, sandwiches and salads and such.
That's the key difference between many American wines and their European counterparts. European wines tend to be acidic because they're meant to be consumed with food. American wines tend to be alcoholized grape bombs with high sweetness and low acidity and can be drunk alone. They both have their place, just not really for me anymore.
Weenies are us.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Red Wine?

Post by Bloodhound »

Hugo Drax wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:57
Bloodhound wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 11:32 I have also become a fan of Chianti...It is a great warm weather/sitting on the porch wine. I also like it with lighter meals, sandwiches and salads and such.
That's the key difference between many American wines and their European counterparts. European wines tend to be acidic because they're meant to be consumed with food. American wines tend to be alcoholized grape bombs with high sweetness and low acidity and can be drunk alone. They both have their place, just not really for me anymore.
When I was a kid, my mom would make spaghetti, and get a bottle of wine for her and her friend or date to drink. She always got a bottle in a woven straw and said it was Italian wine to go with the dinner. I remember her saying it was "Cheap Wine" It looked like this. But there are good Chiantis to be had and I like them both alone or with food
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Red Wine?

Post by JimVH »

Bloodhound wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 12:10
When I was a kid, my mom would make spaghetti, and get a bottle of wine for her and her friend or date to drink. She always got a bottle in a woven straw and said it was Italian wine to go with the dinner. I remember her saying it was "Cheap Wine" It looked like this. But there are good Chiantis to be had and I like them both alone or with food
When I was a kid, our friends drank this wine and then used the bottles for candle holders. I can still see the caked-up wax drippings that ran down in multicolored cascades.

Nice folks, good memories.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Red Wine?

Post by Hovannes »

Bloodhound wrote: 16 Nov 2022, 12:10
The best Italian Chianti has a black rooster on the neck label. Seriously.
DLJake

Red Wine?

Post by DLJake »

Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Red Wine?

Post by Hovannes »

For a domestic Merlot, hunt for a Hahn, or a Chatom. Superb Merlots!
For Pinot Noirs, I'm still exploring those as they are supposed to be good for the heart.
For Italian (other than Chiantis with a black rooster on the label) l recommend Friuli (modestly priced) and Barbaresco (in the $30 range).

I agree that Apothic is good stuff---Gallo is so large they can make anything they want and Apothic is one of the best they produce.

For Zinfandels, I find the Old Vine types are mellower than the standard fare.
For a domestic Claret, Cribari is my favorite---I can't get any here unless I go drive out to the winery because all the bottles are shipped to the East coast. The first sip is brutal but it improves with each sip. By the time you reach the bottom of the glass (or bottle) it's damned tasty!
Claret is funny that way.

For domestic Ports, I like both Ficklin and Quady. Ficklin's Tawny Port goes really well with popcorn.

Those are just off the top of my head