The Pope Francis Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 19:16
mcommini wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 14:58
Del wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 07:28

Who knows? It could be something innocently inept and Italian.

"You are doing a most wonderful job and of course you deserve this promotion, but we failed to note that your 5-year loan to the Vatican is ending in a few months. You will be returning to your bishop soon. We should install a leader who can serve here longer, for the smoother operation of this department.

"Naturally, of course, this would not be my choice... you must understand this. Such decisions come from "higher up," in all cases. Could you please do us the honor of resigning from this assignment?"

Romanitas is difficult for Americans to translate. This means something like, "I screwed up. Help me out of this jam."

We don't really know if his celebration of the Latin Mass with pilgrims from Madison had anything to do with it. Rome runs on rumors.
Given the way Francis I has run his papacy so far, this is more like Romanitas for "Oh, crap, we thought you had a nice, progressive pedigree, but we found these pictures of your Young Republican days on Twitter."
Don't bother. When Del can't explain something, he just blames it on the charming inadequacies of what he considers a foreign race. Meanwhile, we should remember his people confuse brandy for whiskey and are fundamentally unsound.
You silly! We have no difficulty discerning brandy and whiskey. That's why we like brandy.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 19:33
mcommini wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 14:58
Given the way Francis I has run his papacy so far, this is more like Romanitas for "Oh, crap, we thought you had a nice, progressive pedigree, but we found these pictures of your Young Republican days on Twitter."
Don't bother. When Del can't explain something, he just blames it on the charming inadequacies of what he considers a foreign race. Meanwhile, we should remember his people confuse brandy for whiskey and are fundamentally unsound.
You silly! We have no difficulty discerning brandy and whiskey. That's why we like brandy.
Either you forgot a capital letter and are far younger than our early Covid Zoom gatherings led me to believe, or that last sentence makes no sense. What next? A vodka martini is superior to gin?
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Hugo Drax »

mcommini wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 21:49
Del wrote: 07 Dec 2022, 19:33

Either you forgot a capital letter and are far younger than our early Covid Zoom gatherings led me to believe, or that last sentence makes no sense. What next? A vodka martini is superior to gin?
Yes. Yes. This is righteous. No more brother wars. It's time for the great Kangaroo vs Martini Battle Royale of 2022.

I have a neutral take on grain spirits. Both iterations have their place, but only one is a martini. Discuss.
Weenies are us.
Wosbald

The Right to Migrate

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Pope thanks Brownsville, Flores for accompanying immigrants

Pope Francis greets Bishop Daniel E. Flores of Brownsville, Texas, during a Jan. 20, 2020, meeting with U.S. bishops from Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas during their “ad limina” visits to the Vatican. (Credit: CNS photo/Vatican Media)

NEW YORK — Pope Francis recently wrote to Bishop Daniel Flores of Brownsville, Texas, thanking him and the diocese as a whole for their work accompanying immigrants at the southern border.

Straddling the U.S.–Mexico border, the Diocese of Brownsville is the southernmost diocese in Texas and has long been at the epicenter of the church’s response to migration, especially as the crisis has ballooned in recent years.

Flores posted the letter to social media on Dec. 5 saying it came in response to a letter he previously sent Francis, where he expressed the diocese’s closeness to him as a local Church, offered prayers, and described the work of many in the diocese “on behalf of the immigrant and the poor.”

“Thank you for your communication, with which you express your closeness to me and the work being done in the Diocese of Brownsville, especially in favor of those who for various circumstances are far from their homeland,” Francis said in the letter.

Amigo de Frodo @bpdflores | Twitter

Included in the Diocese of Brownsville’s robust immigration services programs is the Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley Humanitarian Respite Center, which helps hundreds of migrants everyday get their immediate needs taken care of and get set up to continue onto their next destination in the United States. The center is led by Sister Norma Pimentel.

In the letter to Flores, Francis also noted that “the efforts that must be made to adequately accompany the migratory reality are multiple.”

“But, I have no doubt that the current situation should encourage us in the promotion and integration of those who share the same condition in which the Lord found himself,” the pontiff wrote. “I thank you for all that you are doing to promote the culture of encounter.”

“I pray for you and for the People of God under your care, to whom I sent my blessing,” he continued. “I ask you not to stop praying for me.”

Commenting on the letter on social media, Flores said he is “grateful” for the pope’s “gracious reply.”
Last edited by Wosbald on 14 Dec 2022, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.

Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Biff »

Hugo Drax wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 06:17 I have a neutral take on grain spirits. Both iterations have their place, but only one is a martini. Discuss.
The anti-christ will not smoke a pipe.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 10:40
Hugo Drax wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 06:17 I have a neutral take on grain spirits. Both iterations have their place, but only one is a martini. Discuss.
Of course not. Tobacco is evil.
Hugo Drax

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Hugo Drax »

Del wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 12:56
I see Wosbald is still writing for Crux.
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 13:27
Pope Francis thanks the Catholics of Brownsville Diocese as they help those suffering from Biden's border crisis.

CRUX makes is sound like Pope Francis supports the actual policies causing the humanitarian crisis -- and they even phrase it such as the Bishop is orchestrating some of the human trafficking! "thanking [Bishop Flores] and the diocese as a whole for their work accompanying immigrants at the southern border."
Hugo Drax

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Hugo Drax »

Del wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 06:42
Hugo Drax wrote: 08 Dec 2022, 13:27

Pope Francis thanks the Catholics of Brownsville Diocese as they help those suffering from Biden's border crisis.

CRUX makes is sound like Pope Francis supports the actual policies causing the humanitarian crisis -- and they even phrase it such as the Bishop is orchestrating some of the human trafficking! "thanking [Bishop Flores] and the diocese as a whole for their work accompanying immigrants at the southern border."
Lol. It is Stockholm syndrome.
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Pope Francis Thread

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 06:59 Lol. It is Stockholm syndrome.
Give me a break.

My first principle is that I do not trust the American media. We have been fed a steady drumbeat of "Look! Your Pope Francis supports all of our leftist agenda!" The spin is often obvious, as in this CRUX article. Their goals are to advance their leftist policies and to foment factions of faithful Catholics into opposition.

Likewise, the CNA story reports that Fr. Tait was promoted to a worthy position, and then the promotion was withdrawn. The article pivots on his having celebrated the Latin Mass on a few special occasions and blames Francis himself for the demotion, with no facts to link any of that together. Buried deep in the article was the known fact that Fr. Tait was already scheduled to return to Madison in a few months.

So I play a game of looking at the facts with a plausible explanation that un-spins the buried agenda of the media. Go ahead and sue me.

My working opinion on Francis is that he is a shallow guy who doesn't look too deeply into any issues before he speaks. I am not persuaded that he has a deep agenda of his own to press. This creates an environment where sinister folks in the shadows (of the media and the Vatican) can assert their agendas.

The biggest hole in my working theory regards Francis's choices for assignments of bishops and cardinals. I'm not encouraged by his actions here.