Pappy

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
adauria
Sunday School Student

Pappy

Post by adauria »

Helped a friend finish off a bottle of Pappy 10 year yesterday. It was my first time trying it. Very good tasting, caramel, smooth, with a long finish. In no way is it worth close to what people are willing to pay for it, but a very solid bourbon.

-Andrew
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pappy

Post by tuttle »

I'd drink it
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pappy

Post by SlowToke »

Yep. It's the un-obtainium factor that drives the price unfortunately. There are much better bourbons out there.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Pappy

Post by joegoat »

I don't buy into the hype. I'm sure it's good stuff but not worth the craziness surrounding it.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
adauria
Sunday School Student

Pappy

Post by adauria »

tuttle wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 12:16I'd drink it
Name checks out.

-Andrew
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Pappy

Post by jmg »

joegoat wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 18:08 I don't buy into the hype. I'm sure it's good stuff but not worth the craziness surrounding it.
I've never tasted an expensive bourbon that I thought deserved the price. Especially when there are so many really good cheap bourbons out there. Though I can't say the same about scotch. I wish I could find a comparably cheap scotch that resembled Lagavulin. As it is, that's about a once ever 3-5 years sort of bottle for me.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
adauria
Sunday School Student

Pappy

Post by adauria »

jmg wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 15:55
joegoat wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 18:08 I don't buy into the hype. I'm sure it's good stuff but not worth the craziness surrounding it.
I've never tasted an expensive bourbon that I thought deserved the price. Especially when there are so many really good cheap bourbons out there. Though I can't say the same about scotch. I wish I could find a comparably cheap scotch that resembled Lagavulin. As it is, that's about a once ever 3-5 years sort of bottle for me.
Yes, 100%. Hard to get good, cheap scotch. Easy to get good, cheap bourbon.

-Andrew
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Pappy

Post by JimVH »

adauria wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 06:02
jmg wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 15:55

-Andrew
True story.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Pappy

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 08:08
jmg wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 15:55 I've never tasted an expensive bourbon that I thought deserved the price. Especially when there are so many really good cheap bourbons out there. Though I can't say the same about scotch. I wish I could find a comparably cheap scotch that resembled Lagavulin. As it is, that's about a once ever 3-5 years sort of bottle for me.

-Andrew
True story.
Hugodrax turned me on to Ballantine's blended scotch. Around $20. Of course it's no match for a $200 bottle of scotch but it's a decent all day drink.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Pappy

Post by jmg »

FredS wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 10:40
JimVH wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 08:08

-Andrew
True story.
Hugodrax turned me on to Ballantine's blended scotch. Around $20. Of course it's no match for a $200 bottle of scotch but it's a decent all day drink.
My go-to cheaper scotch is Famous Grouse or Black Bush. But I always find myself wanting that salty, peaty flavor of Lagavulin.
Last edited by jmg on 16 Dec 2022, 16:02, edited 1 time in total.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden