Traditional Christmas Cake

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

Anyone have a traditional cake for Christmas? Or have recipe for one to share?
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

My mom spent the weeks preceding Christmas in the kitchen. She'd make a half dozen fruit cakes only they weren't a cake as you'd know it. Or like you buy in the round tin at the drugstore at the last minute on Christmas Eve. More like a huge raisin cinnamon roll. It was braided bread with frosting and candied "fruit" - red, yellow, and green - inside. About a foot long. I picked out the fruit. Little sticky pieces of green fruit under my fingernails.
Last edited by FredS on 20 Dec 2022, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

My great aunt would always buy a fruit cake...it was dark and tasted burnt...but we had to have some...it was like jello mold and green bean casserole, part of the meal, so we had to eat some...nasty
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by GaryInVA »

I truly miss being able to eat Collins Street Bakery fruitcake. The carb count in it will lock up my neck and back solid.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

No cake.

Our Christmas tradition is New England Clam Chowder.

My father used to make it for all of the traveling families who arrived the night before family Christmas. Local family would show up for dinner to visit too.

Now I have my own brood, and I'm in charge of the clan Clam Chowder.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

Cake has never been a part of our Christmas Traditions. I don’t see fruitcake as cake, but even if you do, we only occasionally had it.

We’re pie and odd jello salad people.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Not really a big cake family outside of birthdays. The traditional dessert that adorned our Christmas table growing up was our mom's preach cobbler. Alas, it has been a while since I've seen the dish, as mom has been gluten free for a decade.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

I did find these, although not cakes.

Stir-up pie ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stir-up_Sunday

And, Mince Pie ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie

I remember mince meat pies being in the mix at the Christmas gatherings of my childhood. I hadn't seen or even heard of one in many years, until a British co-worker gifted me a box of mini mince meat pies that he purchased in London at Harrods. They were delicious with coffee.

I suppose that there is no substitute for fruit cake as the traditional Christmas cake. I made 8 this year, one each for myself and my 5 siblings, plus one for our oldest daughter, and one for a good friend of mine in Charleston SC. These cakes plus a batch of bourbon balls, and a toddy or two on the side, pretty much emptied a 750 ml bottle of WT101.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

I have an Arab-English friend who makes a killer mince pie. I hoard them. The rest of my family just consumes them, but without relish. If you're going to eat something special...yeah. They're mine.

As for fruitcake, I have eaten many substances that were almost but not quite entirely unlike fruitcake since my great-grandmother died. I've been on a quest for years.
Weenies are us.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

The Japanese - who like to celebrate Christmas even though they're mostly not Christians, kinda like Americans - enjoy a white Christmas cake with strawberries on top and maybe even inside. My host at the time I was there didn't know the significance of the strawberries. Much like I can't say why in the world fruitcakes became tradition here.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson