Traditional Christmas Cake

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

JimVH wrote: 20 Dec 2022, 17:58 Cake has never been a part of our Christmas Traditions. I don’t see fruitcake as cake, but even if you do, we only occasionally had it.

We’re pie and odd jello salad people.
From Wiki: "The name comes from the genericization of the brand name Jell-O, a common gelatin product in the United States. The origins of jello salad can be traced back to a dish called perfection salad (c. 1904) by Mrs. John E. Cook of New Castle, Pennsylvania, which won third prize in a Better Homes and Gardens recipe contest. Strawberry-pretzel and mandarin orange remain popular in the Midwest which are sweet alternatives for the original recipe."

And I thought it was only a '50s-'60s thing.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Yohanan
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by Yohanan »

Hugo Drax wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 06:14
Yohanan wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 18:59 I like real fruit cake, devoid of candied orange peels and the like, have you ever eaten an orange peel in it's candied nastiness? Lemon candied peel, positively terrible, Cherry and lime, nothing but a puke fest, Yes you have, and you know it really sucks.
I feel only a deep, deep pity for you.
Thank You, at least you care, I only hope you don't have orange, yellow and green rubbery masses stuck in your teeth, God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!
***Smoke What You Like, and Like What You Smoke, No Matter What Anyone Else Thinks!!!***
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Yohanan wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 19:31
Hugo Drax wrote: 22 Dec 2022, 06:14
Yohanan wrote: 21 Dec 2022, 18:59 I like real fruit cake, devoid of candied orange peels and the like, have you ever eaten an orange peel in it's candied nastiness? Lemon candied peel, positively terrible, Cherry and lime, nothing but a puke fest, Yes you have, and you know it really sucks.
I feel only a deep, deep pity for you.
Thank You, at least you care, I only hope you don't have orange, yellow and green rubbery masses stuck in your teeth, God Bless and Merry Christmas!!!
Of course, brother. De gustibus, you know. Merry Christmas to the Yohanenen clan!
Weenies are us.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

I love fruitcake. Just the Walmart brand ones are good. Fruitcake and bourbon, rum, or brandy is a wonderful evening treat. I do make a cheesecake for Christmas. Just a plain cheesecake, but it's such a glorious cheesecake that it needs no topping or swirl.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

You are a fruitcake.

There I said it. Somebody had to say it...
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

You could probably find something you like here: Fruitcake, pound cake, Italian butter cake, cheesecake, chocolate/whisky cake, caramel bars, sundry chocolate confections (2 homemade kinds, 4 store-bought), chocolate covered cherries, and fudge.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

coco wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 10:21 You could probably find something you like here: Fruitcake, pound cake, Italian butter cake, cheesecake, chocolate/whisky cake, caramel bars, sundry chocolate confections (2 homemade kinds, 4 store-bought), chocolate covered cherries, and fudge.
We could be there in about 10-1/2 hours (plus bathroom breaks).
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

Del wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 10:40
coco wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 10:21 You could probably find something you like here: Fruitcake, pound cake, Italian butter cake, cheesecake, chocolate/whisky cake, caramel bars, sundry chocolate confections (2 homemade kinds, 4 store-bought), chocolate covered cherries, and fudge.
We could be there in about 10-1/2 hours (plus bathroom breaks).
:)
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

We had an Italian cream cake also, as well as pound cake and fruitcake.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Cigarson showed up with plenty of tiramisu left over from his wife's family Christmas (her mom's side).

After our little party, there was still enough left over to share with his wife's family Christmas (her dad's side).

That was a monster-sized dessert.