Hobbies and Interests

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Hobbies and Interests

Post by Hovannes »

Music.
Age apparently comes with a soundtrack (groan)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Hobbies and Interests

Post by FredS »

michigander wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 15:52
FredS wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 06:01 ...Low poly sheet metal sculpture...
Please elucidate (preferably with pictures).
Just dipping my toes.

The 'pot' in the foreground is all I've done so far. I've got almost all the pieces cut for the ram I'm going to try next. The paper pattern is shown on the bench. I have a TIG welder but I'm using oxy-acetylene because it's easier for me. If this bug takes hold I'll probably spend more time learning to TIG and switch to that method.

EDIT:
The old door in the background is a project for Mrs FredS. I think she wants to put it in the garden (her ideas are fluid) so it needs some sort of metal structure on stakes.

The silver Jeep hood is hail damaged and I'm going to plasma-cut a rainbow trout and maybe a big silver marshall's badge from it.

The cow skull hanging on the bandsaw to the left is a future project. Going to build and mount a set of metal long horns for him. I have a deer skull that I want to put some tall curly-q African antelope horns on. Either wood or steel, we'll see. As I wrote earlier, "so many ideas, so little time".
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Hobbies and Interests

Post by DLJake »

Thinking about doing a coop on the east side of the shed. If I build it will they come? Probably not. Not a lot of stray chickens walking about here.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Hobbies and Interests

Post by joegoat »

Ever since Joegoat Jr. showed up my primary hobby is watching him grow like a freaking weed. He's a hoot!
My secondary hobbies can mostly be summed up under old iron. I love keeping the old stuff going. Reviving something that most people would throw out and replace with the latest crap China can pump out gives me so much joy. I'd rather put an afternoon into restoring an old, rusty piece of cast iron than buy a brand new one at Wally world. I love tearing stuff apart, figuring out how it works, fixing it, and putting it back together.
I love farm tractors from pre 1950. The more simplistic they are, the better. A tractor without an electric start is best. I hate batteries. I use the old tractors as much as I can around the property. I like just about any make and model, but my real passion is Gravely (a walk behind tractor that uses various PTO attachments to make them one of the most versatile machines ever designed).
I do a bit of Civil War living history.
I keep bees.
I plant a garden and till it with Gravelys.
I'm not much of a car guy, but I did restore and maintain a 74 VW Beetle.
I'm a gun guy. Plastic fantastics are cool, but shooting traditional black powder guns is what really does it for me.
I enjoy doing home improvements. We have lots on the agenda.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Hobbies and Interests

Post by michigander »

FredS wrote: 30 Jan 2023, 11:24
michigander wrote: 29 Jan 2023, 15:52
FredS wrote: 24 Jan 2023, 06:01 ...Low poly sheet metal sculpture...
Please elucidate (preferably with pictures).
Just dipping my toes.

The 'pot' in the foreground is all I've done so far. I've got almost all the pieces cut for the ram I'm going to try next. The paper pattern is shown on the bench. I have a TIG welder but I'm using oxy-acetylene because it's easier for me. If this bug takes hold I'll probably spend more time learning to TIG and switch to that method.

EDIT:
The old door in the background is a project for Mrs FredS. I think she wants to put it in the garden (her ideas are fluid) so it needs some sort of metal structure on stakes.

The silver Jeep hood is hail damaged and I'm going to plasma-cut a rainbow trout and maybe a big silver marshall's badge from it.

The cow skull hanging on the bandsaw to the left is a future project. Going to build and mount a set of metal long horns for him. I have a deer skull that I want to put some tall curly-q African antelope horns on. Either wood or steel, we'll see. As I wrote earlier, "so many ideas, so little time".
That's a cool hobby and some beautiful work Fred.

This hobby deserves its own thread.
Del
Usher
Usher

Hobbies and Interests

Post by Del »

I have no cool hobbies. But I do waste a lot of time.

Minding the stock market and trading options is fun. It's fun when I make money.

I'm on a team that is starting a Chesterton Academy high school. I guess that's a hobby. It takes a lot of money, so I kinda balance out.

CPS is free.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Hobbies and Interests

Post by Biff »

Del wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 09:22 CPS is free.
Uh, no it ain't.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Hobbies and Interests

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:22
Uh, no it ain't.
Fair point.

We have all offered to contribute. Offer still stands.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Hobbies and Interests

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:41
Uh, no it ain't.
Fair point.

Spending time and money on a website used by 30 people in the entire world is Biff's hobby.

He also enjoys wordle and long walks on the beach.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Hobbies and Interests

Post by Biff »

FredS wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:47
Del wrote: 03 Feb 2023, 10:41
Uh, no it ain't.
Fair point.

Spending time and money on a website used by 30 people in the entire world is Biff's hobby.

He also enjoys wordle and long walks on the beach.
You forgot Pina Coladas

AND I'll have you know we're up to 47 members now. Not that all of them contribute..
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada: