For those of you in Ohio ...

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

... here's what's in the air and water from the train derailment:

vinyl chloride.
butyl acrylate.
ethylhexyl acrylate.
ethylene glycol monobutyl ether.
isobutylene.

I've heard that local chickens were found dead this morning in the area of the train crash. Sort of the canary in the coal mine sort of deal.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by jruegg »

Don't remember where I read it, but someone who lives in the area asked how it could be "safe" to return home when there's a foul odor and he keeps getting headaches?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

jruegg wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 14:19 Don't remember where I read it, but someone who lives in the area asked how it could be "safe" to return home when there's a foul odor and he keeps getting headaches?
I reckon people ought to make up their own minds about whether a thing is safe or not rather than relying on others, no matter how "official" they are. If we didn't already have that mindset before the pandemic, we certainly should now. That guy needs to grow the F up and make his own decisions.

Back in ye olde days (1960's) I lived near a chemical plant that would leak anhydrous ammonia every once in a while. Didn't take a rocket scientist to realize you needed to stay inside until the wind blew the stuff away.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

I've seen several videos folks from that town have put online (many quickly removed) stating that the situation is much worse than being reported on msm.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

sweetandsour wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 14:15 ... here's what's in the air and water from the train derailment:

vinyl chloride.
butyl acrylate.
ethylhexyl acrylate.
ethylene glycol monobutyl ether.
isobutylene.

I've heard that local chickens were found dead this morning in the area of the train crash. Sort of the canary in the coal mine sort of deal.
In the fire department we had a generic chemical name for this kind of scenario: methylethyl badshi—.

I just got caught up on this story today. Interviews with residents of the area talking about the immediate health issues they are experiencing. I fear the lingering consequences will be tragic for some time to come.

Prayerful.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Wosbald
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Praying.

Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Acrylate chemicals are noxious irritants. That stuff alone will keep people away from the more dangerous stuff. It feels like you are suffocating.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Del wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 18:20 Acrylate chemicals are noxious irritants. That stuff alone will keep people away from the more dangerous stuff. It feels like you are suffocating.
Hmphf. Wikipedia says that 2-ethylhexyl acrylate has a pleasant odor. But also a tendency to runaway polymerization and explosive reactions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2-Ethylhexyl_acrylate

Not something I'd want to run into at a train wreck.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

I should have super powers by next week. I'm taking daily baths in the Ohio River. Haven't decided if I'll go hero or villain, but with an army of flying monkeys at my disposal I figure the latter. Flying monkeys just don't seem very heroic.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

joegoat wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 16:12 I should have super powers by next week. I'm taking daily baths in the Ohio River. Haven't decided if I'll go hero or villain, but with an army of flying monkeys at my disposal I figure the latter. Flying monkeys just don't seem very heroic.
Super-Wosbald will defeat your villainous nature!