Chainsaw musings

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Chainsaw musings

Post by Hovannes »

During a recent windstorm a huge (2 story tall) olive tree fell blocking my neighbor's driveway, so I was blessed with the opportunity to break out my Stihl MS-250 and have at it :D
It was sad to see that great old giant (for an olive tree) go, but it was one of the more ambitious chainsaw adventures I 've had in quite a while as I was losing daylight fast.

It occurred to me that it would be nice---in a sort of decadent way---to have a second chain saw so I wouldn't have to take the time to stop to resharpen the chain, especially since the sun was setting.

I'm 70 now, and thinking rationally the MS250 is likely the last chain saw I'll own, but the thought of adding another is tempting, especially if I come across an irresistible "deal" (rationally thinking: fat chance, Stihls are pretty high end and there are seldom "deals")
The 3hp MS250 is certainly adequate for my needs---the combination of power to weight and bar length is superior (for arthritic me) to chainsaws I've had in the past and those have been some pretty rockin' chain saws such as a Husky XP which could scare the jeeheebies out of me.
So my issue is, should I consider a duplicate MS250 or a smaller saw, maybe a more compact and lighter MS180 or a larger saw like a snarling 4hp MS261?
Going either smaller or larger would offer advantages in certain situations. A duplicate would be more of the same.
Your thoughts?
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Chainsaw musings

Post by Hugo Drax »

You don't want my thoughts. :P
Weenies are us.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Chainsaw musings

Post by Biff »

My 2bits:
Buy two, send me one.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Chainsaw musings

Post by tuttle »

I've never owned a chainsaw.

Couple of hand saws and a hatchet has been sufficient for menial yard work.

All my neighbors have chainsaws. If ever I need to cut something with a chain, I'll call upon them.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Chainsaw musings

Post by FredS »

tuttle wrote: 18 Apr 2023, 12:26 I've never owned a chainsaw.

Couple of hand saws and a hatchet has been sufficient for menial yard work.

All my neighbors have chainsaws. If ever I need to cut something with a chain, I'll call upon them.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

Hov doesn't need a new saw, he needs new neighbors.

(That said, I own an electric chainsaw I bought 20 years ago at auction for $15 that does what I need around the yard.)
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Chainsaw musings

Post by coco »

People often want a gigantic chainsaw. The big ones are nice when felling the tree, but the small ones are much nicer for everything else. Big = heavy.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.