Charles in Charge

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Charles in Charge

Post by Hovannes »

Anyone here see the coronation of Chuckles the 3rd?
Congrats to all the Anglophiles on the forum!
Prince William's on deck.
History goes on.
I'll fire up an English mixture today in the Royal's honor.
Del
Usher
Usher

Charles in Charge

Post by Del »

I'm happy enough for all involved, but the coronation party managed to pass without me.

I am very much an Anglophile, thanks to Tolkien and Chesterton and Joseph Pearce. But the royal family does not interest me.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Charles in Charge

Post by coco »

Said during the presentation of the Bible: "To keep you ever mindful of the law and the gospel of God, as the rule for the life and government of Christian princes, receive this book, the most valuable thing this world has to offer. Here is Wisdom, this is the royal law. These are the lively oracles of God."
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Charles in Charge

Post by coco »

The fountain pen of the coronation:
It looks like it has good flex in the nib... But what else would you expect from a royal pen?

Perhaps it is an English Yard-O-Led in sterling silver?
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Charles in Charge

Post by coco »

The PM did a great job reading the Bible. You wouldn't have even known he was Hindu.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Charles in Charge

Post by jmg »

I honor but one Royal. #jesusjuke
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Charles in Charge

Post by JimVH »

He’s a peach.

“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Charles in Charge

Post by tuttle »

coco wrote: 06 May 2023, 18:03 The PM did a great job reading the Bible. You wouldn't have even known he was Hindu.
He is a politician, so he's good at faking all sorts of things he says in public...

But for real, as he was reading he had some deer in the headlight moments, almost as if he were trying to keep his composure from his eyes rolling into the back of his head. He wasn't reading through gritted teeth but it kind of seemed that way. It could have just been me thinking that

Regardless I thought it was a tad hilarious to see a Hindu being the one reading about the preeminence of Christ and all things were created by him and for him. I'd be hard pressed to find a more ironic passage to have a member of another religion read. Of course the talking heads were so over the moon about the inclusivity of other faiths being represented that they missed (or ignored) the irony.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Charles in Charge

Post by FredS »

I watched a few minutes to see the actual crownings of the king and queen. Thought they should have just crowned William because Charles looks very old and frail and they may have to do the whole thing again in just a couple years. As socially 'progressive' as I may be, I really don't mind the monarchy. For all it represents, it is - to me - a symbol of a more ordered time.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Charles in Charge

Post by tuttle »

We watched it as a family.

I'm a little more than just an Anglophile. Being of English ancestry, there's a familial component of pride in there.

Americans of every stripe are permitted to celebrate and embrace their heritage...unless you're English. Part of that has to do with the enormous component of English heritage that just became American heritage overnight and is now essentially invisible, that and the whole War of Independence bit which has functionally become a Year Zero for English descendants. We're taught to look upon the Old Country with distain rather than with honor and respect. Once beyond that any pride or love or honor given to English ethnicity or heritage is now fundamentally racist.

An American Englishman is typically taught to view his relationship with his heritage very much like a Protestant is typically taught to view his. You can honor everything that happened after THE EVENT (Revolutionary war/Reformation) and nothing before it matters as much and should likely be viewed as shameful.

Well phooey on that.

God save the King and God bless America.

Which brings up the other component that drew me to the coronation, which is how infused with Christ it is. Say what you want about Charles or the Royal Family, or the monarchy as it is today, but there is a great deal of value of what just took place, both in terms of history and tradition as well as in the religious nature of it all. All of which can be debated and parsed out, but on the whole I couldn't ask for anything better as a foundation for the leader of a people, figurehead or otherwise. Could you imagine a similar liturgy, even if stripped of the symbolic regalia, ever taking place for American leaders? And maybe some Americans say that's the point, but I'd argue if such really is the point that we've cut off our nose in spite of our face.

Anyway, we watched it. Followed along in the liturgy. Sang, prayed, and thoroughly enjoyed the strangeness of it all, as an air from another age. It was an encouraging thing to both watch and to worship with my family and with my people, splintered and broken and fallen as it all is.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion