The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes (plays on tv)

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

Being a Holmes geek and having BritBox every now and again, I happened on "The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes" and I've been enjoying it. It's not the sort of thing you should get BritBox for; that is I mean it's not amazing, but if you already subscribe it's worth checking out. Wondering if anyone has seen it?

It has that quality that I liked about the original black and white Dr. Who episodes I'd watch in the 70's and 80's, but originating much earlier - it's really a play broadcast on television - there are no effects nor cgi nor gimmicks - just the plot, and usually a pretty good one.

A lot of modern tv has amazing effects and cgi and all sorts of gimmicks, but the plot is "a doily for your mind" (smother's bother quote). In modern tv they set things up in fantastic worlds which you delve into and learn and figure out, but after that you realize they've no real story to tell.
Wishing you God's very best!
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

Bendydick Cumerbund is an awesome Sherlock. Great series.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

Biff wrote: 09 Feb 2024, 16:39 Bendydick Cumerbund is an awesome Sherlock. Great series.
I second that. I'm not crazy about the later episodes. It started so good though.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

I liked the he Robert Downey Jr movies. The comedy was good and an eccentric Holmes was enjoyable.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)