New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by Hovannes »

SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by SlowToke »

Swiss Army Multitool.......it just doesn't have a ring to it.
Del
Usher
Usher

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by Del »

When I was a kid, my Boy Scout pocketknife was a badge of honor. The simple multi-tool marked me as useful, resourceful, and responsible. I didn't realize it, at the time. I only knew was that I could cut paper lines with a knife and ruler, straighter and faster than the scissor kids. I was always careful to avoid marring my desk. And I had a screwdriver blade.

Everyone knew I had a tool, and borrowed it when needed. Even the teacher. The knifepoint tightened a lot of eyeglasses.

Boys aren't allowed to be boys anymore.

But girls are.
Last edited by Del on 09 May 2024, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by coco »

All knives are dangerous and should be banned.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Del
Usher
Usher

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by Del »

coco wrote: 09 May 2024, 18:06 All knives are dangerous and should be banned.
They'll have to pry my Shun Kiritsuke chef knife from my cold, dead hand. And then I won't make jambalaya for them anymore.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by FredS »

I'm not sure this is some sort of woke move like Del thinks it is. Some young men have always carried pocket knives and there's a whole new crop who pack even more tools every day (see "EDC") but generally, people - particularly urban, desk bound people - don't carry knives any more because they simply don't need to. We joke about opening boxes and slicing apples, but that's really the extent of knife-work most need these days. Victorinox has been making watches and laptop backpacks and a few other products for urban hipsters over the last few years and a blade-less "knife" is just their latest idea. A wise business spreads their reach instead of staying niche.

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by Hovannes »

FredS wrote: 10 May 2024, 06:59 I'm not sure this is some sort of woke move like Del thinks it is. Some young men have always carried pocket knives and there's a whole new crop who pack even more tools every day (see "EDC") but generally, people - particularly urban, desk bound people - don't carry knives any more because they simply don't need to. We joke about opening boxes and slicing apples, but that's really the extent of knife-work most need these days. Victorinox has been making watches and laptop backpacks and a few other products for urban hipsters over the last few years and a blade-less "knife" is just their latest idea. A wise business spreads their reach instead of staying niche.

How is a Boy Scout expected to use a Swiss Army wristwatch to ward off a pedophile scoutmaster?
Del
Usher
Usher

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 10 May 2024, 06:59 I'm not sure this is some sort of woke move like Del thinks it is.
I'm just having fun with this. Let's face it -- a Swiss Army bike tool is a great idea.

And a bladeless multitool could still be marketable -- one that complies with the ever-more intrusive laws that criminalize "weapons" while letting criminals walk freely.

Victorinox is not responsible for the cultures they want to market to.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

New Swiss Army Non-Knife

Post by coco »

You'll cut your eye out.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.