Awesome Quotes

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Awesome Quotes

Post by Biff »

Italy’s new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni just quoted Chesterton on a national broadcast. Impressive!
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Awesome Quotes

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 10:51 Italy’s new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni just quoted Chesterton on a national broadcast. Impressive!
Chesterton is popular in several non-English speaking countries. He's a big deal in Chile, Argentina, and Italy. Poland too, I think.

Del
Usher
Usher

Awesome Quotes

Post by Del »

tuttle wrote:ping
Biff wrote: 26 Sep 2022, 10:51 Italy’s new Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni just quoted Chesterton on a national broadcast. Impressive!
enjoy this snippet from her Wikipedia page:
Meloni is an avowed fan of fantasy, particularly J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, which she called a "sacred text". As a youth activist with the Italian Social Movement, she attended "Hobbit Camp" and sang along with the extremist folk band Compagnia dell'Anello (the Italian translation of The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of three volumes of Tolkein's Lord of the Rings). Later, she named her political conference Atreju, after the hero of the novel The Neverending Story. The Italian far-right has traditionally associated itself with fantasy, which it considers to share its "vision of spirituality against materialism". She told The New York Times: "I think that Tolkien could say better than we can what conservatives believe in."
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Awesome Quotes

Post by Hugo Drax »

Del wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 12:59
Meloni is an avowed fan of fantasy, particularly J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, which she called a "sacred text". As a youth activist with the Italian Social Movement, she attended "Hobbit Camp" and sang along with the extremist folk band Compagnia dell'Anello (the Italian translation of The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of three volumes of Tolkein's Lord of the Rings). Later, she named her political conference Atreju, after the hero of the novel The Neverending Story. The Italian far-right has traditionally associated itself with fantasy, which it considers to share its "vision of spirituality against materialism". She told The New York Times: "I think that Tolkien could say better than we can what conservatives believe in."
I dunno. She regularly tweets anime drawings of herself. I feel that's significant.
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Awesome Quotes

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 15:09
I dunno. She regularly tweets anime drawings of herself. I feel that's significant.
That might be cool. Find it and post it.

I'm still scratching my head at "extremist folk band." Wikipedia is not immune to biases in their articles. I think they were trying to translate "progressive folk," but I'm not sure.

Here is their sound:
DLJake

Awesome Quotes

Post by DLJake »

Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Awesome Quotes

Post by MrPiper »

Sorry, couldn't resist this one! Please delete if inappropriate but it made me spit coffee LOL

Hugo Drax

Awesome Quotes

Post by Hugo Drax »

Del wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 15:22
Hugo Drax wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 15:09

That might be cool. Find it and post it.

I'm still scratching my head at "extremist folk band." Wikipedia is not immune to biases in their articles. I think they were trying to translate "progressive folk," but I'm not sure.

Here is their sound:

I care too much about italian politics. Ain't nobody got time for that!
Last edited by Hugo Drax on 29 Sep 2022, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.
Weenies are us.
Hugo Drax

Awesome Quotes

Post by Hugo Drax »

MrPiper wrote: 29 Sep 2022, 16:19 Sorry, couldn't resist this one! Please delete if inappropriate but it made me spit coffee LOL

Nah, that's funny!
Weenies are us.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Awesome Quotes

Post by tuttle »

That's a dem fine woman
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion