Another revelation from working at The Big Fresno Fair

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I must have Fair PTSD:
Who convinced all the girls at The Big Fresno Fair that chrome boogers in their nostrils are attractive?
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 08:18 I must have Fair PTSD:
Who convinced all the girls at The Big Fresno Fair that chrome boogers in their nostrils are attractive?
There was a humorous article in Gilbert Magazine discussing this, not too long ago. I wish I could convey the humor here.... but basically, it's a nihilism thing. The young girls and women don't feel like this world deserves to be beautiful. They don't feel like they ought to be beautiful in it.

So we get garishly styled and colored hair and painful-looking facial piercings.
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Del wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 09:27
There was a humorous article in Gilbert Magazine discussing this, not too long ago. I wish I could convey the humor here.... but basically, it's a nihilism thing. The young girls and women don't feel like this world deserves to be beautiful. They don't feel like they ought to be beautiful in it.

So we get garishly styled and colored hair and painful-looking facial piercings.
That's probably the biggest brush I've seen you use.
Weenies are us.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

It ain't just the girls. The young man waiting on me yesterday at a local auto parts store had what appeared to be a small ring through his nose. Not a ring actually, but a horseshoe shape, with bright chrome beads on the ends of the horseshoe.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
DLJake

Post by DLJake »

Gonna go with a guy looking like an extremely undernourished human wearing capri pants, a small tight tshirt, and poodle slippers. He sports a man bun with Elton John eyewear. He wants to have a beard and his 6 months of attempting to grow one shows his failure.

Did I win?
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

DLJake wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 18:48
Gonna go with a guy looking like an extremely undernourished human wearing capri pants, a small tight tshirt, and poodle slippers. He sports a man bun with Elton John eyewear. He wants to have a beard and his 6 months of attempting to grow one shows his failure.

Did I win?
He was there. I saw him.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

Hovannes wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 20:47
DLJake wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 18:48

Did I win?
He was there. I saw him.
TNLP went to the fair?
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Hugo Drax wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 17:15
Del wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 09:27

That's probably the biggest brush I've seen you use.
I know. I really do. But if we want to consider the reasons behind fads, fashions, and other social contagions -- the broad brush is the only tool that works for discussion.

Applying the broad brush again: Most kids are just going along with the fad, and have no real connection to the source of the fad.

But this observation doesn't help us answer the original questions:
- Why, of all things, have kids glommed on to this fad of making themselves ugly with facial piercings that look like torture?
- And why haven't some of those kids grown out of this yet? They are damned near middle-age already.