Playing with Playlists

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Playing with Playlists

Post by JimVH »

So I spent a little boredom time this evening cleaning up the music on my phone. Mostly organizing, purging, and finishing playlists. I realized I had a few unique, or even weird lists, and thought I’d share my boredom with you.

AAA: The title keeps it at the head of the list. A sure-thing playlist list of proven favorites, currently about 21 hours worth. All genre, styles, and ages. Any song that really blows my skirt up is fair game and any song that fatigues gets the boot. Just hit random and let it run.

MURDER: A list of songs about killin’ folk. At a Tom Jones tribute concert one night I noticed that everyone clapped and cheered when he plunged the knife into Delilah. I joked with a friend that society really needed more songs about killing and suggested a playlist. Later, at a Johnny Cash tribute (with the same friend), it came back up after Cocaine Blues, and the list was born. I don’t really listen to it as a playlist, but I am committed to growing it. Just because.

CURVES: A collection of reverent songs about various forms of full-figured women. No bashing allowed. Rita and I were in the car one day when TV Mama (Bobby Rush) came on the blues channel on XM. I heard her giggle a couple of time and decided to download it on my phone. Later I played Freddie King’s Big Legged Woman for her and she giggled some more. Another playlist comes to life. This is my little way of appreciating all gals, and helping keep the patriarchy alive. I fully understand the risks.

GRUB: Songs about or emphasizing food. No inspired story, I just think it’s funny. Butterbeans by Little David Wilkins, Bob Corritore’s Big Mama’s Soul Food, Jambalaya from Hank Williams, etc.

What are your playlists? If you have any favorites that fit the bill above, please send them my way. All in good clean fun.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
michigander
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Playing with Playlists

Post by michigander »

Just a couple of the ones I have:

Airstream - about 15 or 20 years ago (has it been that long?) we had a '73 Airstream Travel Trailer. I put together a playlist named Airstream. It was an eclectic collection from blues/rock to jazz to Americana that I would listen to while we were camping. Unfortunately, this playlist was curated on a Microsoft Zune (their attempt at an iPod competitor). When that device died I was never able to port it over to iTunes and it was lost. I've tried recreating it, but it's not the same.

Examples of Artists:
Robert Johnson
Son Volt
Sade
Drive By Truckers
Wilco
Mazzy Star

Driving with the Windows Down - does it need explanation?

Examples of Songs:
Dreams - The Cranberries
Arizona - Kings of Leon
Sinister Kid - The Black Keys
Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel
Late in the Evening - Paul Simon
Eminence Front - The Who
Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds

You get the idea.

Thanks for inspiring me to put a little more effort into these again.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Playing with Playlists

Post by sweetandsour »

I've never had playlists, but youtube or some other thing on my phone seems to put them together automatically for me, and the songs are all over the place as far as genre. But I do notice that most of the songs seem to be from the 70s.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Playing with Playlists

Post by FredS »

Mine is more oriented towards music type, mostly titled for my favorite artist of the type.

-The Mavericks
- Los Lobos
- Jimmy Buffet
- Cake
- Social Distortion
- Hank Williams
- Merle
- Ramones
- Interruppters
- Amy Winehouse
- Rivers (songs about rivers)
- Road Trippin (songs for hard-charging road trips, think Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, The Boss)
- Native (for concentration when a project deadline approaches, Ande's pan flute, shaman trance music, tribal drum, etc)
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Playing with Playlists

Post by GaryInVA »

This one has been added to my playlist. My son's highschool garage band at a school event. He's the guitarist on the right.

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Playing with Playlists

Post by JimVH »

GaryInVA wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 13:45 This one has been added to my playlist. My son's highschool garage band at a school event. He's the guitarist on the right.

Badass.

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Playing with Playlists

Post by JimVH »

FredS wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 11:20 - Road Trippin (songs for hard-charging road trips, think Van Halen, Sammy Hagar, The Boss)
This reminds me. I used to have a list, SPEEDING I think I called it, that was only for songs that made you lose track of how fast you were driving. Freebird, Paradise City, and such that slowly made your foot heavy as it wound you up. I lost it along the way somewhere. Wish I remembered all the songs. Another list is born (reborn).