The Orthodox / / Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

Del wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 11:18
Jocose wrote: 17 Nov 2022, 09:42 Image
I love this chart. I hope some guys here spent some time studying it.

I am curious about the line item regarding the Immaculate Conception of Mary. Is there some dispute among Eastern Christians on how the Theotokos is regarded by Apostolic Christians of the West? Are you confident enough to explain it?

Catholicism had to do this to dispel errors and slanders pressed by Protestant teachers.
Regarding the Theotokos.. yes, quite a large dispute more so with the Filioque, papal supremacy, purgatory, created grace or "merit"

It's tough to discuss these differences without stirring up stuff and I'm not an expert on any of it. I also have no place even bringing this stuff up, my apologies, I'm sorry.

🌠
Last edited by Jocose on 26 Nov 2022, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 18:36 It's tough to discuss these differences without stirring up stuff and I'm not an expert on any of it. I also have no place even bringing this stuff up, my apologies.

🌠
There's nothing to apologize for. Please don't feel like that is necessary.

We can enjoy a friendly discussion here if we wish. And let our betters among the patriarchs discuss and dispute the ancient doctrines.

For my part, I'd love to learn more about the faith of Eastern Apostolic Christians.... with great respect. I feel like we are looking at the same truths from different sides. I understand why we insist on filioque.... I would appreciate knowing how the East get along with this doctrine. (We're talking about the Trinity here.... a paradox that defies human understanding.

I still miss Thoth deeply.... he knew stuff.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

Del wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 21:09
Jocose wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 18:36 It's tough to discuss these differences without stirring up stuff and I'm not an expert on any of it. I also have no place even bringing this stuff up, my apologies.

🌠

We can enjoy a friendly discussion here if we wish. And let our betters among the patriarchs discuss and dispute the ancient doctrines.

For my part, I'd love to learn more about the faith of Eastern Apostolic Christians.... with great respect. I feel like we are looking at the same truths from different sides. I understand why we insist on filioque.... I would appreciate knowing how the East get along with this doctrine. (We're talking about the Trinity here.... a paradox that defies human understanding.

I miss Thoth too.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

Del wrote: 26 Nov 2022, 21:09

🌠

I encourage you to watch the entire video but some of the differences start around the 16 minute mark and in detail around the 17 min mark.

Anyway, God is good and he loves mankind.

Peace
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

TODAYS READINGS FOR 11/29/2022

Epistle
St. Paul's Second Letter to the Thessalonians 1:10-12; 2:1-2

Brethren, our testimony to you was believed. To this end we always pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his call, and may fulfil every good resolve and work of faith by his power, so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ. Now concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our assembling to meet him, we beg you, brethren, not to be quickly shaken in mind or excited, either by spirit or by word, or by letter purporting to be from us, to the effect that the day of Christ has come.

Gospel
Luke 19:45-48

At that time, Jesus entered the temple and began to drive out those who sold, saying to them, "It is written, 'My house shall be a house of prayer'; but you have made it a den of robbers." And he was teaching daily in the temple. The chief priests and the scribes and the principal men of the people sought to destroy him; but they did not find anything they could do, for all the people hung upon his words.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

TODAYS READINGS FOR NOVEMBER 30 2022

Epistle
St. Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians 4:9-16

Brethren, God has exhibited us apostles as last of all, like men sentenced to death; because we have become a spectacle to the world, to angels and to men. We are fools for Christ's sake, but you are wise in Christ. We are weak, but you are strong. You are held in honor, but we in disrepute. To the present hour we hunger and thirst, we are ill-clad and buffeted and homeless, and we labor, working with our own hands. When reviled, we bless; when persecuted, we endure; when slandered, we try to conciliate; we have become, and are now, as the refuse of the world, the off-scouring of all things. I do not write this to make you ashamed, but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel. I urge you, then, be imitators of me.

Gospel
John 1:35-51

At that time, John was standing with two of his disciples; and he looked at Jesus as he walked, and said, "Behold, the Lamb of God!" The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. Jesus turned, and saw them following, and said to them, "What do you seek?" And they said to him, "Rabbi" (which means Teacher), "Where are you staying?" He said to them, "Come and see." They came and saw where he was staying; and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. One of the two who heard John speak, and followed him, was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. He first found his brother Simon, and said to him, "We have found the Messiah" (which means Christ). He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him, and said, "So you are Simon the son of John? You shall be called Cephas" (which means Peter). The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. And he found Philip and said to him, "Follow me." Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael, and said to him, "We have found him of whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph." Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see." Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! " Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you." Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!" Jesus answered him, "Because I said to you, I saw you under the fig tree, do you believe? You shall see greater things than these." And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man."
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

The MSM is coming for the Orthodox Church

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1702978166854426721?s=20
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/mattza1/status/1715629072624009668?s=46

Antiochian Patriarchate restores communion with Jerusalem Patriarchate
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Orthodox / / Thread

Post by mcommini »

Jocose wrote: 21 Oct 2023, 13:14 https://x.com/mattza1/status/1715629072624009668?s=46

Antiochian Patriarchate restores communion with Jerusalem Patriarchate
Glory be to God!