The First Gospel of Jesus Christ According to the 1st Writer

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by DLJake »

... was Matthew originally written in Hebrew and was the first written Gospel along the ideas of Papias (+ AD 130)

... was Mark written in AD 55 as he penned St. Peter's teachings

... was the cause of the theoretical Q document
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

DLJake wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 20:39 ... was Matthew originally written in Hebrew and was the first written Gospel along the ideas of Papias (+ AD 130)

Scientists are the cause of the theoretical Q document. You see, they would be out of work if we all just focused on the living, breathing Christ found in the Gospels instead of collecting incunabula in attempt to humbug us all.

Harrumph.
Weenies are us.
DLJake

Post by DLJake »

Hugo Drax wrote: Scientists are the cause of the theoretical Q document. You see, they would be out of work if we all just focused on the living, breathing Christ found in the Gospels instead of collecting incunabula in attempt to humbug us all.

Harrumph.
I googled incunabula.

I have certainly fallen short on my end of communicating.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Hugo Drax wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 20:47
DLJake wrote: 02 Dec 2022, 20:39 ... was Matthew originally written in Hebrew and was the first written Gospel along the ideas of Papias (+ AD 130)

Scientists are the cause of the theoretical Q document. You see, they would be out of work if we all just focused on the living, breathing Christ found in the Gospels instead of collecting incunabula in attempt to humbug us all.

Harrumph.
Seeing as how "Q" document is just a high-falootin way of saying "a source we don't currently have that the other Gospels were based on", I'd say it most likely existed. Except the rest of us would call it "sermon notes".

I'd posit that Matthew wrote the majority of the notes (in either Aramaic or Hebrew) and later wrote the Gospel of Matthew in Greek, most likely via a scribe similar to St Paul with his Epistles.

St Peter was able to give the gist to St Mark, consulting St Matthew's notes (the Gospel of Matthew still awaiting penning) for more accurate Dominical quotations (as a quick aside, the forum spellcheck does not recognize "dominical" and it is driving me crazy), making St Mark's Gospel the first written Gospel- and if not AD 55, definitely before AD 70, which is damn close in historical estimations.

St Luke utilized Matthew's notes, as well as oral testimony and government documents, for his Gospel.

St John's Gospel is not claimed to be based off Q except for the few instances where it really does correspond with the other Gospels. Given that St John was both one of the three with Ss Peter and James (and St James was martyred most likely before anyone thought of Gospels), it would make perfect sense that he would have further recollections not found amongst the other nine. The wedding of Cana, for example occurs after St John relates the calling of only five disciples (Ss Andrew, an unnamed John, Peter, Philip, and Nathaniel), so it is possible that St Matthew was not present for the event, St Mark didn't see enough action in the event, and St Luke had far more esoteric pieces of trivia to deal with.

I don't say the above as a scholar- though I have a decent knowledge of the discussion and the sources that scholars reference. It just seems to me the way things most likely happened given the evidence the scholars have gathered.