Vintage Humidors

Even cigar smokers are welcome here.
colton
Sunday School Student

Vintage Humidors

Post by colton »

I've been thinking about upgrading my basic tupperdor to something more attractive, and as with most things, vintage speaks to me more than new.

On eBay, I see a smattering of the usual suspects (Dunhill, Nat Sherman, etc.), but are there other brands I should look out for? I'm hoping there might be an opportunity to save money on a sleeper from the golden age of tobaccoania.
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Vintage Humidors

Post by MrPiper »

Antique humidors are beautiful decorations but terrible humidors generally. They rarely seal well and while maybe beautiful, are poorly designed. If you find an antique that is also a good humidor expect to pay up unless the owner has no idea of the value.

I bought this one from Thompson Cigar about 25 years ago and it is still super tight and maintains 70%RH like a champ with some rewettable gel packs. Holds about 4 to 6 boxes depending on size (unboxed of course) and looks really elegant. If you get seriously interested I will send you an acutal pic of mine. Good luck and Merry Christmas. (I don't smoke anymore. Just have dozens of excellent stogies mellowing in the box for years. I wish you lived nearby. I would just sell you mine and include the sticks.

https://www.thompsoncigar.com/p/el-diab ... #p-2041603
colton
Sunday School Student

Vintage Humidors

Post by colton »

MrPiper wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:32Antique humidors are beautiful decorations but terrible humidors generally.
I was hoping to protect myself by sticking with the Dunhills, Nat Shermans, etc.—something that would have been really high-end in its day. Do you think even those would have loosened up with time?

I had my eye on this Dunhill with excellent marquetry, but decided to let someone else have it so I could get educated and shop a bit more.
MrPiper wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:32I bought this one from Thompson Cigar[...]
That's beautiful.
MrPiper wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:32Good luck and Merry Christmas.
Thank you for the helpful response, and Merry Christmas to you too!
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Vintage Humidors

Post by MrPiper »

colton wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 15:05
MrPiper wrote: 16 Dec 2022, 14:32Antique humidors are beautiful decorations but terrible humidors generally.
I was hoping to protect myself by sticking with the Dunhills, Nat Shermans, etc.—something that would have been really high-end in its day. Do you think even those would have loosened up with time?
Dunhill would probably be great. They would fall into the category of "expect to pay up for one in good shape" but of course you can find a bargain!

It's also going to be VERY hard to tell without seeing and touching the humidor. You likely already know this but in case there are newbies here... The way to test a potential humidor is to let the lid fall shut from a 45 degree angle. If the lid slams noisily shut, the humidor is not tight enough to hold in the moisture and maintain humidity. The lid should drop to the closed position but stop about 1/8" from closed because of the reversed air pressure, then slowly settle closed, and the entire process should be almost silent.

There are also quite a few sites on line that sell humidors that look antique for a reasonable price. Please post pics when you make a purchase!
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Vintage Humidors

Post by MrPiper »

Please post a picture and a review when you get your new humidor! :-)
colton
Sunday School Student

Vintage Humidors

Post by colton »

I ended up snagging a NOS Dunhill humidor in walnut burl from the '80s. It holds 25 cigars, which is about right for me.

It's been freezing in Colorado lately, so I'm letting it acclimate to its new home after making the journey from Canada. But, it appears to seal well, and the humidification parts are in good shape. Not sure if the moisture pad is any good, so I'll experiment with that before stocking it. If it's shot, I think the brass cavity is just about the right size for a Boveda pack.

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. Buying vintage definitely wasn't a cost savings, but what can I say? I wanted the looks and cachet of a vintage piece. :laughing:
IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6872.jpg (901.73 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
IMG_6873.jpg
IMG_6873.jpg (1.22 MiB) Viewed 2522 times
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Vintage Humidors

Post by JimVH »

colton wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 13:46 I ended up snagging a NOS Dunhill humidor in walnut burl from the '80s. It holds 25 cigars, which is about right for me.

It's been freezing in Colorado lately, so I'm letting it acclimate to its new home after making the journey from Canada. But, it appears to seal well, and the humidification parts are in good shape. Not sure if the moisture pad is any good, so I'll experiment with that before stocking it. If it's shot, I think the brass cavity is just about the right size for a Boveda pack.

All in all, I'm very happy with the purchase. Buying vintage definitely wasn't a cost savings, but what can I say? I wanted the looks and cachet of a vintage piece. :laughing:

IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6873.jpg
Nice find. Congrats.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Vintage Humidors

Post by Bloodhound »

colton wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 13:46 I ended up snagging a NOS Dunhill humidor in walnut burl from the '80s. It holds 25 cigars, which is about right for me.

IMG_6872.jpg
IMG_6873.jpg
WOW That is a beauty! Congrats!
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Vintage Humidors

Post by FredS »

colton wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 13:46 It's been freezing in Colorado lately, so I'm letting it acclimate to its new home after making the journey from Canada.
That thing is beautiful.

RE: Colorado weather
I use 75% packs but I rarely register more than 70 on the hygrometer. I put in a whole house humidifier a couple years ago and it hasn't made a difference that I can notice in the humidor. It's a struggle.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
colton
Sunday School Student

Vintage Humidors

Post by colton »

FredS wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 15:09
colton wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 13:46 It's been freezing in Colorado lately, so I'm letting it acclimate to its new home after making the journey from Canada.
That thing is beautiful.

RE: Colorado weather
I use 75% packs but I rarely register more than 70 on the hygrometer. I put in a whole house humidifier a couple years ago and it hasn't made a difference that I can notice in the humidor. It's a struggle.
Good to know. Thanks!