Holiday hanky panky in the UK

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
Wosbald
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
mcommini wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 14:13
Del wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 08:18I read the original article again. It is not at all clear that the performance was at an Anglican church. But this makes a lot more sense. The final paragraph quoted support from a lady "priest-in-training" for the gay/feminist performance.
[…]

You would really have only picked up on the subtle cues if you had happened to be very intensely interested at one point in Anglicanism as a possible landing point coming from a more radical Reformation upbringing.

[…]
I realized it right away.
  • The article raised a red-flag in not disclosing the relevant info. I figured that either they:
    • wanted to raise the hackles of easily triggered Catholics
      -or-
    • didn't give the relevant info a second-thought cuz they see the culture-warring of Us/Them in terms of an Extra-Denom Christianism vs the Critical-Race Reptiloids from Planet X.
  • It's vanishingly unlikely a bishop gives any sort of hot-take to a media outlet regarding an imbroglio in his diocese.
I was just kickin-back wonderin' who was gonna hafta break the news.

mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Wosbald wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 14:49 +JMJ+

I realized it right away.
  • The article raised a red-flag in not disclosing the relevant info. I figured that either they:
    • wanted to raise the hackles of easily triggered Catholics
      -or-
    • didn't give the relevant info a second-thought cuz they see the culture-warring of Us/Them in terms of an Extra-Denom Christianism vs the Critical-Race Reptiloids from Planet X.
    snip
I think the reason for not disclosing relevant info is far more likely that, regardless of hackles they might desire to raise, journalists just can't be bothered to do any research into Christianity. Outside of specifically denominational news sources I have never seen a news report on anything that has to do with Christianity that manages to state a single item outside of names and ranks that has anything to do with fact.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
mcommini wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 16:46I think the reason for not disclosing relevant info is far more likely that, regardless of hackles they might desire to raise, journalists just can't be bothered to do any research into Christianity. Outside of specifically denominational news sources I have never seen a news report on anything that has to do with Christianity that manages to state a single item outside of names and ranks that has anything to do with fact.
Could be, I s'pose.

mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by mcommini »

Wosbald wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 18:22 +JMJ+
mcommini wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 16:46I think the reason for not disclosing relevant info is far more likely that, regardless of hackles they might desire to raise, journalists just can't be bothered to do any research into Christianity. Outside of specifically denominational news sources I have never seen a news report on anything that has to do with Christianity that manages to state a single item outside of names and ranks that has anything to do with fact.
Could be, I s'pose.

I would cite Occam's Razor, but I think I discounted that a few posts ago :D

So just to speak of my own world view: I've become so much happier since I've learned to ascribe mistakes (no matter how grave their import) to ignorance and stupidity rather than malice. The majority of humanity really is trying to do "right in his own eyes".

Those times we would desire to assign intelligence to the opposition (no matter which side of the political or theological spectrum we might fall), let us remember our St Paul- we do not contend with worldly forces. The systems we try to fight are not of human intelligence, they are the same intelligence that spoke to Eve. And this intelligence loves binaries, misinformation, and above all else hates the physical/material/biological aspect of humanity.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
mcommini wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 19:16
Wosbald wrote: 25 Dec 2022, 18:22Could be, I s'pose.

I would cite Occam's Razor, but I think I discounted that a few posts ago :D

So just to speak of my own world view: I've become so much happier since I've learned to ascribe mistakes (no matter how grave their import) to ignorance and stupidity rather than malice. The majority of humanity really is trying to do "right in his own eyes".

Those times we would desire to assign intelligence to the opposition (no matter which side of the political or theological spectrum we might fall), let us remember our St Paul- we do not contend with worldly forces. The systems we try to fight are not of human intelligence, they are the same intelligence that spoke to Eve. And this intelligence loves binaries, misinformation, and above all else hates the physical/material/biological aspect of humanity.
The word "Malice" never came from my keyboard.

Malice and Purpose are not the same.

coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

I wish to nuance, not disagree, with what mcommini has said.

We may think of the values and subsequent actions of unbelievers as non-malicious in the sense that they are, indeed, doing what is right in their own eyes. Everyone looks at the present situation in their world and finds things that are lacking. They envision a future that is brighter in some way than the present, in which the ills of the present are subdued. Their actions (most of the time, at least) proceed from valence; they act in ways that will bring about good in the midst of what they perceive as evil, in order to bring about a better tomorrow. If gay is good, it makes sense to change the erroneous old Christmas hymns so that the evil ways of the past may be forgotten.

The biblical picture, of course, reminds us that this is not the only way to look at the situation. As mcommini has reminded us, there are other powers at play, including the first tempter, who was a “murderer from the beginning” and whose ultimate goal it to “steal, kill, and destroy.” The Bible tells us that unbelievers are ultimately in allegiance with him, that they are in opposition to God, rebels against his kingship, “God-haters.” As a result of their primary allegiance, violence against God’s people is the natural normal of this age.

So, as non-believers act like non-believers, changing hymns as the like, we may not view their actions as morally pure or even neutral. This is more than a momentary lapse of reason. They are willing advocates of a view of the future that is simultaneously created by The World (culture in opposition to God) and the Evil One. Their actions can be expected to be consistent with their goal. If someone wishes to say that the changing of hymns involves a degree of malice, I shall not stand in his way.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Wosbald

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
coco wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 07:35[…]

… If someone wishes to say that the changing of hymns involves a degree of malice, I shall not stand in his way.
What if someone merely wished to say that the article's omissions are very possibly the product of a Christofascist impulse?

MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by MrPiper »

coco wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 07:35 I wish to nuance, not disagree, with what mcommini has said.

We may think of the values and subsequent actions of unbelievers as non-malicious in the sense that they are, indeed, doing what is right in their own eyes. Everyone looks at the present situation in their world and finds things that are lacking. They envision a future that is brighter in some way than the present, in which the ills of the present are subdued. Their actions (most of the time, at least) proceed from valence; they act in ways that will bring about good in the midst of what they perceive as evil, in order to bring about a better tomorrow. If gay is good, it makes sense to change the erroneous old Christmas hymns so that the evil ways of the past may be forgotten.

The biblical picture, of course, reminds us that this is not the only way to look at the situation. As mcommini has reminded us, there are other powers at play, including the first tempter, who was a “murderer from the beginning” and whose ultimate goal it to “steal, kill, and destroy.” The Bible tells us that unbelievers are ultimately in allegiance with him, that they are in opposition to God, rebels against his kingship, “God-haters.” As a result of their primary allegiance, violence against God’s people is the natural normal of this age.

So, as non-believers act like non-believers, changing hymns as the like, we may not view their actions as morally pure or even neutral. This is more than a momentary lapse of reason. They are willing advocates of a view of the future that is simultaneously created by The World (culture in opposition to God) and the Evil One. Their actions can be expected to be consistent with their goal. If someone wishes to say that the changing of hymns involves a degree of malice, I shall not stand in his way.
For those who do not wish to read the entire dissertation...
Never be surprised when unsaved people behave as such. :-)
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 08:21 +JMJ+
coco wrote: 26 Dec 2022, 07:35[…]

… If someone wishes to say that the changing of hymns involves a degree of malice, I shall not stand in his way.
What if someone merely wished to say that the article's omissions are very possibly the product of a Christofascist impulse?

Many would likely respond that this doesn't make much sense.

We should have a poll.
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by tuttle »

As to the article, it's basically the norm now to report about something the reporter happened to see on Twitter. They're just reading people commenting on a topic/story/issue, and then tell us about it.

As to the content, BREAKING: Perverts pervert things!

I'm just thankful to hear about any Englishmen resisting the perversion.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion