Pizza

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pizza

Post by mcommini »

I prefer a New York style, followed by any East Coastal variants. Chicago deep dish is ok, I guess. California style is an abomination which the Lord detests.

I tend to make pizza once or twice a week these days. Santa Fe pizza is of dubious provenance- I detect a hint of Cali in the most recommendedlocal places.

When I do order, I go with Dion's. It's a little bit above Papa John's in quality- or more like what Papa John's was about 30 years ago.
adauria
Sunday School Student

Pizza

Post by adauria »

I love all kinds of food, but pizza is one thing I've very snobby about. My grandfather opened a pizzeria / Italian restaurant in Brooklyn with his brother in the late 40s. My father grew up making pizzas and did so until the closed in the late 70s. Some of my earliest memories are in the restaurant. I was raised in Brooklyn and Staten Island NY. I am a greasy Italian-American to the core, even though I live in NC these days.

I have eaten a LOT of NY style pizza. It's in my blood. There is none other.

Sadly, my favorite place (Nunzio's in Staten Island) recently closed down. Still, you can throw a dart at pizza places in Staten Island or Brooklyn and get something that will blow away just about anything you can get elsewhere. Here in Wake Forest, NC we've got a decent place, George's, but it would only be average (at best) back in the "old country."

There is no good chain pizza. None. No, not that one either.

Of non-NY styles, I can appreciate them for what they are but they are not what I call pizza. Whatever mess they make in Chicago can often taste good, but it's mostly a loaf of bread with cheese, sauce and meat in it/on it (yes, I know there are other styles in Chicago). Detroit has a thing. Hartford CT has a thing. Naples Italy has a thing. All fine, but not what a self-respecting NYer would call pizza.

-Andrew
Wosbald
Sunday School Superintendent

Pizza

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

I like, for lack of a better term, ubiquitous 1970's-style Midwest. Maybe call it Thick 'n Chewy? Cuz it seemed to gel with Pizza Hut's old-skool pie. Just "regular pizza". Pepperoni and Italian Sausage. Shake on plenty of red pepper flakes — and Tabasco or Fish Sauce (but not both!) — and Bob's yer uncle.

Steubenville-style (or Ohio Valley-style) is mighty good. The hot pizza is topped with an extra layer of cold shredded cheese and with cold toppings.

Pizza Hut Pan gets little love these days, and that's a shame. A true classic, especially in its Meat Lovers incarnation.

Detroit-style is the new foodie trend. Seems legit, but I can't speak to it with much authority.

tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pizza

Post by tuttle »

Wosbald wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 09:17 +JMJ+

Pizza Hut Pan gets little love these days, and that's a shame. A true classic, especially in its Meat Lovers incarnation.
Pizza Hut today is not the Pizza Hut of yore. Back in the day the Pan pizza was a thing of glory. Today it is butt.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Wosbald

Pizza

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 05:47
Wosbald wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 09:17Pizza Hut Pan gets little love these days, and that's a shame. A true classic, especially in its Meat Lovers incarnation.
Pizza Hut today is not the Pizza Hut of yore. Back in the day the Pan pizza was a thing of glory. Today it is butt.
Though I'd not been to Pizza Hut since prolly the 90s, a few months ago I got a couple of their Detroit-styles. And as I'd mentioned, I'm no authority on whether it was a good Detroit pizza or not. But I can say was a damn good slice period.

YMMV.

tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Pizza

Post by tuttle »

Wosbald wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 09:16 +JMJ+
tuttle wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 05:47
Wosbald wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 09:17Pizza Hut Pan gets little love these days, and that's a shame. A true classic, especially in its Meat Lovers incarnation.
Though I'd not been to Pizza Hut since prolly the 90s, a few months ago I got a couple of their Detroit-styles. And as I'd mentioned, I'm no authority on whether it was a good Detroit pizza or not. But I can say was a damn good slice period.

YMMV.

I'm not here to knock down anyone's life choices... but the last, oh, maybe 10 times I've had Pizza Hut (at parties, as a guest, etc. I say this to emphasize that it was not my choice) it was butt nasty. I'd always been of the opinion that there's not such thing as bad pizza. Pizza Hut set me straight. There is such a thing as bad pizza.

I've not had Detroit pizza so I'll leave that out of my assessment.

But, to show that I'm not merely a Pizza Hut hater. They do have better pizza than Dominos. The last time I had Dominos I didn't even finish it.

Sometimes, due to nostalgia, you think things are better when you're a kid. But in this case Pizza Hut and Dominos really have sunk in quality.

I have opinions about Pizza Hut.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Wosbald

Pizza

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
tuttle wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:46I'm not here to knock down anyone's life choices... but the last, oh, maybe 10 times I've had Pizza Hut (at parties, as a guest, etc. I say this to emphasize that it was not my choice) it was butt nasty. […]

[…]
Seems to me that Pizza Hut, like so many of the large chains, is dependent on staff, turnover, etc.

E.g. A well-run, stable KFC still makes a pretty strong bird.

As for lesser locations, however …

Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Pizza

Post by Hovannes »

My biggest issue with chains is the trendy gimmicks they come up with.
I think Pizza can be a good vehicle for Jalapenos however.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Pizza

Post by coco »

Wosbald wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 11:05 +JMJ+
tuttle wrote: 13 Jan 2023, 10:46I'm not here to knock down anyone's life choices... but the last, oh, maybe 10 times I've had Pizza Hut (at parties, as a guest, etc. I say this to emphasize that it was not my choice) it was butt nasty. […]

[…]
Seems to me that Pizza Hut, like so many of the large chains, is dependent on staff, turnover, etc.

E.g. A well-run, stable KFC still makes a pretty strong bird.

As for lesser locations, however …

If a Pizza Hut is run by a manager that cares, it can be VERY good. There was one like that in Prattville when we lived there. Sadly, most are not run by people that care.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Pizza

Post by Hovannes »

Suddenly, I really want some pizza.