Tilbury, a disappointing change

Questions, Reviews, Storage, anything about `baccy
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

It had been some time since I had purchased Tilbury, but my memories of it are quite clear. "A Broad-cut Extra Mature Virginia". I recall opening the tin to a broad cut medley of several different Virginias, most of which displayed a nice amount of crystalized sugar content. The smoke was strong and flavorful. That was a reoccurring experience between 5 and 10 years ago. I haven't smoked any in about the last 5 years.

I'd bought my last batch a year or two ago, when the opportunity arose to get some tins at a "regular price", and I just opened a tin yesterday. It was neither broad cut nor mature. It's shag cut! All of it, 100% shag. Which I don't mind, but it's quite the opposite of the description. And not a single crystal to be seen, anywhere! Rather than "A Broad-cut Extra Mature Virginia" as it says on the tin, it's a "Shag Cut rather young Virginia".

It's not a bad smoke, but nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing like the exquisite smokes of my Tilbury past.

I'm left wondering if Germain is slipping or if this was a rushed run for Arango Cigar Co., as the tin states for whom it was blended exclusively.
Wishing you God's very best!
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

It almost sounds like the wrong stuff got the wrong label.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

I thought this was going to be about cheese. I too am disappointed.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

Del wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 08:55 It almost sounds like the wrong stuff got the wrong label.
A a few years ago, I bought a tin of C&D Blockade Runner...a navy crumble cake with a back note of rum. I opened the tin and was hit with a cloud of maple scent. I called C&D (this was back in the day when you could order direct from them). They said to enjoy the tin of what they thought was Autumn Evening and they would send me a tin of Blockade Runner. They sent the big 8 oz tine to me.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Bloodhound wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 12:42
Del wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 08:55 It almost sounds like the wrong stuff got the wrong label.
A a few years ago, I bought a tin of C&D Blockade Runner...a navy crumble cake with a back note of rum. I opened the tin and was hit with a cloud of maple scent. I called C&D (this was back in the day when you could order direct from them). They said to enjoy the tin of what they thought was Autumn Evening and they would send me a tin of Blockade Runner. They sent the big 8 oz tine to me.
You have bad luck with good people, do you know that?

It's a good thing they're good people!
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

When I re-started this hobby, I enjoyed calling C&D and McClelland's. A real person answered the phone, you could order direct from them. I tended towards C&D because of a couple of there blends Blockade Runner, Black Frigate and Bow Legged Bear. and the way I was treated when I called. Both companies were great, but C&D was even more friendly.

Del, as you said "great people"...if it sounded like I was grousing, I wasn't...they more than made up for the mix up and they were always pleasant/fun to talk to.

I got in on the tail end of the "Good Old Days"...there we were with Syrian Latikia, McClellands at full operation, Craig and Patty Tarler were turning C&D into a pipe smokers wonderland...and we groused about Balkan Sobranie, Three Nuns, and Bengal Slices being gone...

Good old days is a relative term :)

PS: I recommend C&D to all my smoking buddies...except Hugo :) OK I tried to recommend them to Hugo, but he was having none of it
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

Bloodhound wrote: 17 Jan 2023, 14:02 When I re-started this hobby, I enjoyed calling C&D and McClelland's. A real person answered the phone, you could order direct from them. I tended towards C&D because of a couple of there blends Blockade Runner, Black Frigate and Bow Legged Bear. and the way I was treated when I called. Both companies were great, but C&D was even more friendly.

Del, as you said "great people"...if it sounded like I was grousing, I wasn't...they more than made up for the mix up and they were always pleasant/fun to talk to.

I got in on the tail end of the "Good Old Days"...there we were with Syrian Latikia, McClellands at full operation, Craig and Patty Tarler were turning C&D into a pipe smokers wonderland...and we groused about Balkan Sobranie, Three Nuns, and Bengal Slices being gone...

Good old days is a relative term :)

PS: I recommend C&D to all my smoking buddies...except Hugo :) OK I tried to recommend them to Hugo, but he was having none of it
Same experience with C&D here. Craig really helped get me started in pipe smoking. I'm glad for the memories of being able to speak directly with the man who started, what is now, a blending powerhouse. In more recent years I've had some very helpful email exchanges with Jeremy Reeves (sp?) the now head/master blender at C&D. It seems the helpful tradition is still alive there.

I recommend them too, and everyone at the Thursday night pipe get together, I attend, tends toward C&D blends; which makes me smile.

A synchronicity - C&D must have recently hit 30 years 'cause I just saw their 30 year anniversary tin in my B&M this weekend. I picked up two. Nice looking tin.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

I've been digging into C&D more lately since McClelland is no more.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

joegoat wrote: 31 Jan 2023, 16:45 I've been digging into C&D more lately since McClelland is no more.
C&D was part of my beginnings with pipe smoking and then I got into tins of “fancier presentation”, but Rusty rekindled my interest in C&D when he told me about how he thought many of the C&D offerings were more akin to the original blends those fancier tins used to hold. I was really curious about that and coughed up the dough to get a hold of some of those very original tins “blended by” the label and not “blended for” the label. I think he was quite right.

Not that any if that has anything to do with McClelland. Just wishing you the best on your journey through C&D’s offerings.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Post by coco »

The only constant with blends is change.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.