Stamping question...

Open forum for all subject for smokers in general.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Stamping question...

Post by jmg »

I recently acquired an American Pipe Smoking Co. pipe from a big lot I got for cheap on the Bay. Anyone here familiar with their stamping? This one is stamped 0385/CR 7. I'm assuming the 0385 may be March 1985, but I'm not sure. And I have no idea what the CR7 would be.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Del
Usher
Usher

Stamping question...

Post by Del »

Restore the pipe, blast off the label, and stamp it with RHOX.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stamping question...

Post by sweetandsour »

From a discussion on another forum:

Me: Reg No. 12-86 / CR, and beneath the RN is "I 5". I bought it from a guy on the now-gone Christian Pipe Smokers forum, and whatever further details there were about it are now gone with that forum. It's a shame that forum crashed, there's so much information and history and data that's unattainable now. Supposedly the forum owner is working on recovering it, so there's at least some dim hope.

The response:
Ah! you got a great pipe! Made in December of 1986 but not by Mark Tinsky, rather his partner at the time Curt Rollar. Mark has said to me that he felt Curt was a master, more so than himself, I agree, I have had a bunch of Curt's pipes, they are outstanding.

The 5 is a size designation and the "I" is probably a grade of the grain, of which that looks on the higher end, nice and straight grain with an un-dyed finish. That is a beauty!

-------------------------------------------------

So, JMG, it appears that you have a Curt Rollar pipe, made in March '85, and possibly it's a size 7.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Stamping question...

Post by jmg »

sweetandsour wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 16:52 From a discussion on another forum:

Me: Reg No. 12-86 / CR, and beneath the RN is "I 5". I bought it from a guy on the now-gone Christian Pipe Smokers forum, and whatever further details there were about it are now gone with that forum. It's a shame that forum crashed, there's so much information and history and data that's unattainable now. Supposedly the forum owner is working on recovering it, so there's at least some dim hope.

The response:
Ah! you got a great pipe! Made in December of 1986 but not by Mark Tinsky, rather his partner at the time Curt Rollar. Mark has said to me that he felt Curt was a master, more so than himself, I agree, I have had a bunch of Curt's pipes, they are outstanding.

The 5 is a size designation and the "I" is probably a grade of the grain, of which that looks on the higher end, nice and straight grain with an un-dyed finish. That is a beauty!

So, JMG, it appears that you have a Curt Rollar pipe, made in March '85, and possibly it's a size 7.
10-4 I sure appreciate it. I had completely forgotten that Curt was a part of APC back in the day. I was thinking only of Tinsky.

jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Stamping question...

Post by jmg »

Del wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 16:50 Restore the pipe, blast off the label, and stamp it with RHOX.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think that's frowned upon in the pipe community.

sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stamping question...

Post by sweetandsour »

jmg wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 17:35
sweetandsour wrote: 19 Feb 2023, 16:52 From a discussion on another forum:

The response:

10-4 I sure appreciate it. I had completely forgotten that Curt was a part of APC back in the day. I was thinking only of Tinsky.

Wow, that is a beauty!
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
jruegg
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Stamping question...

Post by jruegg »

Good find!