Chainsaw question

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Chainsaw question

Post by Hovannes »

My Stihl MS250 is a great little saw and has seen a heck of a lot of use over the past couple of years. I keep the chain sharp and have had it professionally cleaned once, after felling a few palm trees because of the acid. The last time I had her out was after a windstorm downed a huge tree which engulfed a neighbor's house and garage. Some of the springy limbs even pinched the bar a couple of times, but I was able to push up the offending limbs and continue the job.
Of course the chain needed sharpening afterwards and I noticed that the teeth looked pretty hammered this time, but I was still able to sharpen them.
My question is, when should I consider putting on a new chain and how will I know if the bar needs replacing? I've already flipped the bar a few times and the paint is worn off so I don't know is the bar is upside down or not.

I don't want to spoil her, I just want to be safe.
Del
Usher
Usher

Chainsaw question

Post by Del »

This article says that a chain is only good for three to five sharpening.

WHEN TO REPLACE A CHAINSAW CHAIN: HOW TO TELL WHEN IT’S WORN OUT

At some point, the teeth are pretty much shot. After a few teeth break off, it's time to get a safer chain.

As far as the bar goes: If it's straight, no visible nicks, the new chain runs around the track, and she cuts straight -- I'd keep using it. But what do I know?
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Chainsaw question

Post by sweetandsour »

Yeah, what Del said. I have the same or similar Stihl saw, what is referred to as a "Farm Boss", but I don't recall the number. My neighbor borrowed it last week to cut down a large pine tree, and still has it, btw. I bought the saw in 2008, or perhaps 2007, so it's seen some use, multiple chains, and at least a couple of different bars. The key, IMO, is to use lots of bar and chain oil; good quality oil with plenty of tackifier.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Chainsaw question

Post by Biff »

Del wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 19:46 But what do I know?
A little chemistry, a little stonk trading ... nothing about kilts though..
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Chainsaw question

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 04 Jun 2023, 09:43
Del wrote: 03 Jun 2023, 19:46 But what do I know?
A little chemistry, a little stonk trading ... nothing about kilts though..
I'll show you stonk trading.