Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 02 May 2022, 20:46
sweetandsour wrote: 02 May 2022, 19:37 Have you been buying?
It looks like SPLG is in my price range. And plenty of open interest on the call options, but not much premium. It might just be better to hold and trade the ETF.

I'll study it a bit more tomorrow. As the trend is still down, I don't feel any urge to buy just yet.
=========================================================

My trading fund is not a lot of money. About $25k total. I only put $5000 at risk in any one trade. I'm no wizard at this, and so far this year I'm just breaking even.

You bought VOO a few posts ago. That's about $40,000 trade for just one lot, right?
An acquaintance bought the VOO, my account isn't large enough for that. My fund is a little more than half what yours is. I use $4000-5000 at any one time. The old "sell in May and go away" adage doesn't apply to me this year.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 03 May 2022, 03:51
An acquaintance bought the VOO, my account isn't large enough for that. My fund is a little more than half what yours is. I use $4000-5000 at any one time. The old "sell in May and go away" adage doesn't apply to me this year.
My style of trading is very different from yours. (No surprise here; so many different ways to trade.)

I make most of my money during the summer half of the year, starting about now (after 1st quarter earnings). I like to sell iron condors, which do well during the quiet months when the market doesn't move much in any direction.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 03 May 2022, 13:48
My style of trading is very different from yours. (No surprise here; so many different ways to trade.)

I make most of my money during the summer half of the year, starting about now (after 1st quarter earnings). I like to sell iron condors, which do well during the quiet months when the market doesn't move much in any direction.
iron condors look pretty complicated.
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Stock Trading

Post by Biff »

sweetandsour wrote: 03 May 2022, 19:45

Beware of rust
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

I suppose it's not the first thing I would teach a guy, but it breaks down into simple pieces.

I don't know if the S&P500 is going to be up or down by next Wednesday. But I can reliably estimate that it likely won't go above some high value, and it likely won't go below some low value. And I know for certain that next Wednesday is coming.

So I sell a bull put spread at my low value, and a bear call spread at my high value. And if the price stays between the goal posts, I get to keep the premium when the positions expire out-of-the-money.

The tricky part is knowing how to save my bacon if the price moves over the goal posts.
Last edited by Del on 04 May 2022, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 03 May 2022, 20:19

Beware of rust
Yes. And the droppings.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 02 May 2022, 19:37
Del wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 15:40
sweetandsour wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 15:35

It's been a blood bath. It was down Abt 10% last week. Today I haven't looked. Hold what you have, and look for deals.

Maybe I'll just buy some SPY minis to sell calls on.

Have you been buying?
I have decided that I am bearish on 2022, so I won't be buying anything on short-term trades. But I am not confident enough to short the market, either.

I continue to make stock purchases in our retirement savings. My long-term outlook is still strong, after we get passed this recession and get Biden out. (His feet on the brakes of our energy production is holding us back.) I have time to enjoy purchasing cheap stocks before I need to draw from those funds. For me, this is a good time for a steep market correction.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 05 May 2022, 09:38
sweetandsour wrote: 02 May 2022, 19:37
Del wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 15:40

Maybe I'll just buy some SPY minis to sell calls on.

Have you been buying?
I have decided that I am bearish on 2022, so I won't be buying anything on short-term trades. But I am not confident enough to short the market, either.

I continue to make stock purchases in our retirement savings. My long-term outlook is still strong, after we get passed this recession and get Biden out. (His feet on the brakes of our energy production is holding us back.) I have time to enjoy purchasing cheap stocks before I need to draw from those funds. For me, this is a good time for a steep market correction.
Now's the time to dollar cost average. But I'm still deciding which fund.
Del
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

It's Friday, May 6, 8:20 AM Central Time.

Hold on to your butts:

A whole bunch of US govt employment data is going to reveal just as the market opens at 8:30.

change in average wages paid
change in number of people working
change in total unemployment rate
======================================
This is a great website for keeping track of economic news and data releases.
https://www.forexfactory.com
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 06 May 2022, 06:23 It's Friday, May 6, 8:20 AM Central Time.

Hold on to your butts:

A whole bunch of US govt employment data is going to reveal just as the market opens at 8:30.

change in average wages paid
change in number of people working
change in total unemployment rate
======================================
This is a great website for keeping track of economic news and data releases.
https://www.forexfactory.com
Looks like things stayed about the same, but I don't like to buy on Fridays anyway.