TMe and the Gasgacinch Gal

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I've been working on my dad's 1924 Model T, trying to get it road worthy for it's 100th Birthday.
One point of contention has been the aftermarket Ford Faithfull oiling system, which scoops uo oil from the transmission and shoots it to the Number One bearing which apparently needs all the help it can get. A baffle to scoop up the oil slung up by the transmission bands rests between the cover on the transmission and the hogshead, so servicing the Ford Faith requires two gaskets, one on top of the baffle and one under.
The gasket that was o it was cork, and disintegrated with age. The correct gaskets are paper, and are reusable as long as they aren't damaged.
To preven damage the gaskets need to be glued to the up and bottom of the baffle, but not the hogshead or the cover. The recommended glue was 3M Contact cement, which is mysteriously unobtainable around here. I found other makes of rubber cement, but the labels say they are rubber based, while 3M is neoprene based. Does it matter? Maybe, and I don't want to gamble on it. The baffle is easily damaged and folks on the Model T forum caution that new cements are too hard to remove from the baffle without risk if the gasket is damaged and needs to be removed.
Whew! Long story. Stay with me:
Anyway I remembered that Gasgacinch was a favorite gasket sealer back "in the day."
Apparently the labelling presents a woke conundrum---a cartoon of a well endowed gal in a short skirt is legs up after being blown to the ground by a race car speeding past.
I could order it from Walmart--very expensive and a tractor store in a small town 50 miles away has a can in stock.
NAPA has Gasgacinch but in a Edelbrock can without the Gasgacinch Gal. That's not aa deal breaker, in fact I found it humorous: woke Gasgacinch, LOL!
So I went to the local NAPA. After much head scratching the clerk disappeared into the back of the store and returned with a can---with the Gasgacinch Gal on board!

I feel like Indiana Jones discovering an archeological treasure!
Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

Awesome, hovannes!
Weenies are us.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

Post by JimVH »

I don't know anything about gasket sealer, but I do enjoy pin-up art.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 04:38 Image
I'd huff that.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson