I Had a Guy

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

I Had a Guy

Post by FredS »

Customer service from a real live person - It's priceless.

I insure everything with a single, local, guy. I used another guy who repped the same company for 25 years before I moved away and the new guy called the old guy and the old guy said, about us, "Take care of them. They'll never leave." I think all my kids use insurers and banks that are primarily online based and they save a few dollars doing so. But they're missing out on 'having a guy'.

I needed to start a claim for hail damage for the travel trailer today and got stuck trying to start the process online so I gave up and called my guy. His assistant took down the info and said she'd text me the claim number, but "It may be 3 or 4 minutes because I need to get this entered in the system." My guy called once he got to the office to make sure I was OK with the process so far and asked that I call him back if I don't hear from a claims agent by tomorrow afternoon.

Once, when one of the kids had an accident, the old guys says "Uhhh Fred, she's not on your policy." I said oh crap. He said "Don't worry, we can get her on. Must have had a clerical error when we enrolled her last week. wink wink" Same dude and Mrs FredS gave each other 'professional discounts' when she started seeing one of his family members for counseling.

Doctor, mechanic, barber, broker, smoke shop owner, butcher, haberdasher, whatever. It pays to have a guy you trust. Who you won't shop around. Who has your back.

Let's hear about your guy (who can absolutely be a gal).
Last edited by FredS on 19 Sep 2023, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

I Have a Guy

Post by JimVH »

I used to have a guy/gal for everything, but we are all getting old and the landscape has changed.

I had the same doctor from my teen years through age 50. A cherished friend. An a-hole called parkinson's took him from us.

My one-stop insurance guy for over 20 years quit the business and I got passed off to another agent who was lazy, careless, and frustrating. I shop without loyalty now.

My handyman/home improvement guy, a truly excellent person and talent (he even had a key to my house), experienced a disabling medical event and can't work anymore. I think the dog misses him even more than we do.

My long-time mechanic left the business for a cushy job to glide into retirement on.

Our long-time housekeeper found a cushy job that didn't make her climb stairs and work on her feet all-day.

Rita still has her personal care ladies after many years. Jenny has been doing her nails for over 15 years and Rose has done her hair for over 25. They laugh and cry together and chat like school girls even when not doing business. Rose also does my daughter's hair and used to do my mom's. It's a family affair. I don't have much (any) need for a hair stylist, but I'm getting lot of negative feedback about the state of my beard, so I'm about to start seeing her, too. She has some health issues and I wonder how much longer she will keep working.

I have grandkids with good gigs in the tire, hardware, and car businesses, so I'm good there for now.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

I Have a Guy

Post by FredS »

Sheesh! Remind me to never work for JimVH. He's radioactive.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

I Have a Guy

Post by Del »

It is heartbreaking when you lose your best guys and find that they cannot be replaced.

Take a moment and thank God for all great guys in your life. Cultivate great professional relationships.

Right now, I'm thinking about the tent and ports-potty vendors who serve our village summer festival. I've been working with them for years. They have both been suffering for need of good help the last few years. They have been dropping clients and raising prices on annoying clients, to pare their contracts down to size.

I am grateful that they continued to work with us. Necessary price increases were reasonable. I got to hear about the difficult clients they dropped, rather than scrambling to find a new vendor myself. The tent guy even hinted that he will likely drop Waunafest as a client if I ever quit coordinating the grounds and facilities. We just like working together.
Last edited by Del on 18 Sep 2023, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

I Have a Guy

Post by JimVH »

FredS wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 12:19 Sheesh! Remind me to never work for JimVH. He's radioactive.
True story.

I should have listed myself. When we closed shop I went from being a bunch of people's guy to being no one's. It really blows chunks.

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
MrPiper
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

I Have a Guy

Post by MrPiper »

JimVH wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 13:15
FredS wrote: 18 Sep 2023, 12:19 Sheesh! Remind me to never work for JimVH. He's radioactive.
True story.

I should have listed myself. When we closed shop I went from being a bunch of people's guy to being no one's. It really blows chunks.
Wait... What? You retired? I hope that means congratulations!

I get your concern... being old is beginning to suck loudly
My doctor of 35 years... retired
Attorney of 30 years... dies of stroke
Pastor of 20 years... retired
FAVORITE Chinese Restaurant EVER!!! ... closed / retirement
Favorite independent Pharmacy... closed / sold to CVS
Insurance Independent Agent... Died (and his son took over and is a well meaning but sad replacement)
I am not convinced there really is such a thing as a good mechanic
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

I Have a Guy

Post by sweetandsour »

I was posting this in the stock market thread and it reminded me of this thread.
We're (my wife and I) close to changing financial advisors, after 15 years with the same guy. He doesn't do covered calls, and the fees are too high, and I think he's made enough money off of my IRA already.
He still says that there will very likely be a recession this year or at least by next year mid-year, while others are now changing out of defensive positions.
I don't know, still. I'm typically a loyal type guy, but I feel like I've turned a page. My wife has for sure.
As far as auto work, doctors, lawyers, churches, pastors, and insurance guys (persons), we have no further loyalties. And I haven't had a barber in 50 years.
The one dentist that I stuck with for years passed away about 5 years ago, and I still haven't found a new dentist, or dental hygienist either for that matter.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

I Had a Guy

Post by FredS »

Well took a depressing turn. I changed the title of the thread to suit.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

I Had a Guy

Post by Jocose »

FredS wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 06:44 Well took a depressing turn. I changed the title of the thread to suit.
That draws a significant vacuum. Sorry man.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

I Had a Guy

Post by JimVH »

FredS wrote: 19 Sep 2023, 06:44 Well took a depressing turn. I changed the title of the thread to suit.
Just call me Eeyore.