Faith in the news

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Faith in the news

Post by FredS »

Wosbald wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:26 +JMJ+

yer looking for creative ways to fulfill — rather than shirk — our Duties.
I wish you'd stop using that word.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Faith in the news

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
FredS wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 06:22
Wosbald wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:26 yer looking for creative ways to fulfill — rather than shirk — our Duties.
Unless it's "yer" ("yer" being a signature Wosism), I can only assume it's "Duties".

Why is that?

Rights always go with concomitant Duties (or Responsibilities).

The privilege of Nationhood, which bestows the Rights of Nations (such as the Right to Control Borders), always goes with Duties of Nations (such as the Duty to respect the Rights of the Other).

There's no more transparent and normative way to fulfill the Duty to respect the Right to Migrate than to afford Due Process to the Illegal.

:flags-usa:

FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Faith in the news

Post by FredS »

Wosbald wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 08:56 +JMJ+
FredS wrote: 28 Sep 2023, 06:22
Wosbald wrote: 27 Sep 2023, 19:26 yer looking for creative ways to fulfill — rather than shirk — our Duties.
Unless it's "yer" ("yer" being a signature Wosism), I can only assume it's "Duties".
I don't mind doodies. It's 'shirk'. The 'S' in FredS. For real. :romance-ballandchain:
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Faith in the news

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
FredS wrote: 29 Sep 2023, 11:33 I don't mind doodies. It's 'shirk'. The 'S' in FredS. For real. :romance-ballandchain:
Gotcha. I think. (So cornfused.)

:confusion-seeingstars:

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Faith in the news

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/stillgray/status/1708127860740002116?s=20

An evangelical Christian family from Germany that has lived in Tennessee for 15 years, which sought asylum in the US to be able to homeschool their children, is being deported by the Biden administration. This is who they’ll send back.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Faith in the news

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/CatholicSat/status/170804 ... 75637?s=20

Despite protests from advocacy groups for victims of clerical sexual abuse, Papal protégée, ghostwriter and confidant, Tucho Fernández has been elevated to the Sacred College of Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Faith in the news

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Jocose wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 10:26<pic redacted cuz of Wos' continuing account-related posting wonkiness>

x DOT com/stillgray/status/1708127860740002116?s=20

An evangelical Christian family from Germany that has lived in Tennessee for 15 years, which sought asylum in the US to be able to homeschool their children, is being deported by the Biden administration. This is who they’ll send back.
Q: Is there a Universal Human Right to Homeschool?

A: No. School Rights are postpolitical (i.e. Civil) Rights — not prepolitical (i.e. Universal, Natural) Rights.

Context: Yes, there are prepolitical Familial Rights (perhaps ones even being circumstantially related to Education) which can, in principle, be violated by the State. But "I demand unilateral rights to Homeschool in the face of civil conventions" is not one of them. Schooling is a civil matter, the exact lineaments of which must be politically negotiated in good-faith dialogue with the wider community.

:techie-studyingbrown:

Del
Usher
Usher

Faith in the news

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 12:48 +JMJ+
Jocose wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 10:26<pic redacted cuz of Wos' continuing account-related posting wonkiness>

x DOT com/stillgray/status/1708127860740002116?s=20

Q: Is there a Universal Human Right to Homeschool?

A: No. School Rights are postpolitical (i.e. Civil) Rights — not prepolitical (i.e. Universal, Natural) Rights.

Context: Yes, there are prepolitical Familial Rights (perhaps ones even being circumstantially related to Education) which can, in principle, be violated by the State. But "I demand unilateral rights to Homeschool in the face of civil conventions" is not one of them. Schooling is a civil matter, the exact lineaments of which must be politically negotiated in good-faith dialogue with the wider community.

Wrong. Parents have the first right and responsibility to educate their children. This is a Universal Human Duty.

If parents in a region wish to use the political levers to provide education, they may do so. But government has never had anything resembling the first right to determine the education of children, or prevent the best efforts of parents to care for their children. Parents have a natural human right to pull their kids out of public schools if the schools aren't educating their children with the knowledge, skills, and values that parent know their kids need to thrive.

Germany has been especially oppressive in denying rights/duties to parents while failing to educate children.

Prophetically, G.K. Chesterton foretold the gross intrusion into family rights that the invention of "public education" would create. And our society has suffered tremendously by this government intrusion into our families.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Faith in the news

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Del wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 14:32
Wosbald wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 12:48 Q: Is there a Universal Human Right to Homeschool?

Wrong.

… But government has never had anything resembling the first right to determine the education of children, or prevent the best efforts of parents to care for their children. …

[…]
Not wrong. Or should I say, only "wrong" if one (whether through deliberation or though simply inattention) makes me say things I never said.

I never said anything about "government" having "the first right [!]" over the children. Children do not belong to the State, and I can't see anything in my post which could suggest — even to the most suggestible — that I maintain otherwise.

Further, I've already expressly accounted for "prepolitical Familial Rights" which can principally "be violated by the State".

However, none of this entails there being some "unilateral right to Homeschool in the face of civil conventions" — does not mean that there is some sacrosanct core of Nuclear Parenthood impermeable to wider societal (familial) oversight. (If you're not disagreeing with this — and I can only assume that you are not — then perhaps broadbrushing "Wrong" is the overhasty response best avoided.)

:confusion-shrug:

Del
Usher
Usher

Faith in the news

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 15:55 +JMJ+
Del wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 14:32
Wosbald wrote: 30 Sep 2023, 12:48 Q: Is there a Universal Human Right to Homeschool?

Wrong.

… But government has never had anything resembling the first right to determine the education of children, or prevent the best efforts of parents to care for their children. …

[…]
Not wrong. Or should I say, only "wrong" if one (whether through deliberation or though simply inattention) makes me say things I never said.

I never said anything about "government" having "the first right [!]" over the children. Children do not belong to the State, and I can't see anything in my post which could suggest — even to the most suggestible — that I maintain otherwise.

Further, I've already expressly accounted for "prepolitical Familial Rights" which can principally "be violated by the State".

However, none of this entails there being some "unilateral right to Homeschool in the face of civil conventions" — does not mean that there is some sacrosanct core of Nuclear Parenthood impermeable to wider societal (familial) oversight. (If you're not disagreeing with this — and I can only assume that you are not — then perhaps broadbrushing "Wrong" is the overhasty response best avoided.)

:confusion-shrug:
I am grateful when you post your own thoughts, and those of some political hack sophists.

You made an assertion, and I have congenially disputed that assertion.

I never claimed that you said, "government has a first right over the children." But Germany says that. Communist governments say that. Homeschool opponents say that. Transgender activists say that.

As Catholics, we admit that neighborhoods can band together and use their government as a tool to provide public education. But we also believe that parents have a natural right to choose better alternatives for education their children, from whatever is available or what the parents can provide on their own.

I'm okay with the State giving a standardized test to homeschool kids, to make sure that kids are keeping up and parents are not shirking their duty.

But Germany has overstepped their natural moral authority in making criminals of parents who homeschool their own kids.

And Biden Admin have once again revealed their evil agenda, deporting this one family who really have a valid claim for religious persecution.