Galatians 5:16

For the thinkers, theologians, philospophers.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Post by sweetandsour »

St Paul says that walking by the Spirit will prevent one from walking by the flesh, basically.

So, how do you guys walk in the spirit?
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

This is setup for a Halloween joke, amirite?

Okay, I'll bite.

"I dunno, Sweet. How do you guys walk in the spirit?"

:scared-eek:

Hugo Drax
Sunday School Superintendent

Post by Hugo Drax »

I like to speak in tongues and froth at the mouth.

Just kidding.

Man, what a question. Love it and don't have a very good answer.

I <believe> I walk in the Spirit on those rare occasions when I realize the peckerhead pushing my buttons is every bit as much the beloved child of God that I am and crack a joke instead of slinging an insult. When I realize I could act on an intrusive thought but instead pray until it goes away. When I remember to love myself as much as I love my neighbor.

Most of the time I'm the churlish bastard you all know and tolerate, filled with the milk of human venom and an ugly assortment of deadly sins.

But sometimes, sometimes I feel like I'm walking with God.
Weenies are us.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Post by jmg »

Hugo Drax wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 19:09 I like to speak in tongues and froth at the mouth.

Just kidding.

Man, what a question. Love it and don't have a very good answer.

I <believe> I walk in the Spirit on those rare occasions when I realize the peckerhead pushing my buttons is every bit as much the beloved child of God that I am and crack a joke instead of slinging an insult. When I realize I could act on an intrusive thought but instead pray until it goes away. When I remember to love myself as much as I love my neighbor.

Most of the time I'm the churlish bastard you all know and tolerate, filled with the milk of human venom and an ugly assortment of deadly sins.

But sometimes, sometimes I feel like I'm walking with God.
This reminds me of a quote our pastor said a year or two ago. "You don't love the Savior one bit more than you love the least of those He died for."

That really smacked me in the face.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 17:13 St Paul says that walking by the Spirit will prevent one from walking by the flesh, basically.

So, how do you guys walk in the spirit?
A wise priest once told me in confession that "A life of prayer is incompatible with a life of sin." He recommended a disciplined life of prayer.... schedule a time for prayer, so it's harder to skip and forget.

That's the first step in building a prayer life. But it is also very effective in pushing out temptations of the flesh.

Fasting is extremely powerful, when combined with prayer. Exercises the will and steels against temptations.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

We get a fresh start every day. Did I end up a step closer or further from Him yesterday? Will I do better or worse today? Forward or backward? I'm not trying to make light of our walk, or worse, say our actions don't matter because it's all been paid for anyway. I'm saying that we will get it wrong sometimes. As Hugo wrote, we have the opportunity, every time we realize we're walking the wrong direction, to turn around. Seventy times seven.

If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
ChildOfGod
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Post by ChildOfGod »

There's a very good book on this. It has been called the second best book, only to the Bible. I'm not sure I would describe it thusly, but it has been said.

"The Pursuit of Holiness" by Jerry Bridges.
Wishing you God's very best!
Hugo Drax

Post by Hugo Drax »

jmg wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 19:29

This reminds me of a quote our pastor said a year or two ago. "You don't love the Savior one bit more than you love the least of those He died for."

Yeah, that's a doozy of a true story.

You know the sinner I love the least? ME. I'm the least of the ones He died for, and I'm constantly staring down the barrel of my shortcomings and sinful nature and condemning myself where He simply forgives me.

I'm actually finding it easier to love and excuse the bad attitudes, selfishness, lust, envy, wrath, etc of others than to love myself. Many times I can see why Jesus loves them, but I can't see why he loves me.

I'm screwing up from the flip side of that preacher's coin, brother. I'm God's own beloved dummie.
Weenies are us.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

Hugo Drax wrote: 31 Oct 2023, 19:35
jmg wrote: 29 Oct 2023, 19:29 This reminds me of a quote our pastor said a year or two ago. "You don't love the Savior one bit more than you love the least of those He died for."

Yeah, that's a doozy of a true story.

You know the sinner I love the least? ME. I'm the least of the ones He died for, and I'm constantly staring down the barrel of my shortcomings and sinful nature and condemning myself where He simply forgives me.

I'm actually finding it easier to love and excuse the bad attitudes, selfishness, lust, envy, wrath, etc of others than to love myself. Many times I can see why Jesus loves them, but I can't see why he loves me.

I'm screwing up from the flip side of that preacher's coin, brother. I'm God's own beloved dummie.
70x7

Tape it to yer mirror.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson