The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post about everything from carrying a handkerchief to manly skills (sharpening a pocket knife, etc), to product reviews of items that may have slipped inder our radar (ie Grandpa's Pine Tar soap). No threads on anything 'new' unless it hearkens to old-fashioned sensibilities and ideals.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Jocose »

JimVH wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 11:47 Y'all need to promise not to slip into a covetous state when you see my Christmas knife.

Brace yourselves.

I present to you the epitome of tasteful elegance and suave presentation.

After I got done laughing I realized this is actually a pretty solid little knife. It's almost the same size as the Barlow pattern made by RR and is wicked sharp. I will absolutely carry it.
It’s a major award!!

Congrats and enjoy.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
GaryInVA
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by GaryInVA »

I gave my boss and a coworker Opinel knives for a late Christmas gift.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Barlow of the day. This one has stamped tin bolsters and hollow plastic handles that feel cheap what you tap them, just like the one I bought at the hardware store when I was a kid.

Imperial 3 1/4" closed, 5 1/2" overall
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

JimVH wrote: 27 Dec 2023, 11:47 Y'all need to promise not to slip into a covetous state when you see my Christmas knife.

Brace yourselves.

I present to you the epitome of tasteful elegance and suave presentation.

After I got done laughing I realized this is actually a pretty solid little knife. It's almost the same size as the Barlow pattern made by RR and is wicked sharp. I will absolutely carry it.
I have a RR Peanut in silver sparkle. When they add sparkle, they really add sparkle. Looks like it's a mile deep.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by FredS »

Last night at dinner -
Mrs FredS, pointing to a box of 18 pocket knives: That's ridiculous. Why do you need so many knives?
Me: I'm a collector.
Mrs FredS: Collector? Since when?
Me: Since jocose started posting pictures of his knives on CPS.
Mrs FredS: shakes head, doesn't get it

Baladéo (French brand but probably made in China) 3 1/2" closed, 6" overall
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

My FIL was a decades-long hardware man. To him, knives were an essential, often expendable, tool. The man was just plain brutal to his knives. I never once saw him without a knife in his pocket and they were always nearly used-up through unceremonious sharpening, cutting edge damage, and/or broken blades. They never got cleaned or oiled and he had no aversion to rust and pitting. On the Old Timer Stockman below, he somehow managed to break the butt spring out, allowing the blade to come all the way around (and he still carried it for a long time). He rarely carried anything expensive, and if it looked fancy, that meant it was free. Being fancy did not offer safe harbor from being abused. If not a branded promotional knife given to him, he usually carried an affordable brand like Old Timer, Imperial, or a generic no-name.

We have a ziploc bag full of knives he carried over the years that are priceless treasures in our house. It's funny to me that, in spite of not seeming to care about whatever knife he carried, he never seemed to throw one away when he was done with it, even if it was unusable.

Here's a few examples. There are many, many more:
Attachments
k2.jpg
k2.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 17570 times
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

OK...so while I like the little redbone Case stockman that I got before Christmas, it doesn't match what my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman carried. To the best of my memory, he his was a 2 blade Jack, with squared bolsters and amber bone scales.

I had one that was very close for a few years, but it was a Large Texas Jack and it was a big knife. I remembered Mr. Shipman's Case was smaller. So I got rid of it.

Well on new years eve, I found a standard Texas Jack. The seller had a "Make Offer" option, so I made and offer and he accepted it. Its new old stock and it is as close to the knife I remember Mr. Shipman, passing around for us to admire. I will carry this knife.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
JimVH
Deacon
Deacon

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by JimVH »

Bloodhound wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 11:38 OK...so while I like the little redbone Case stockman that I got before Christmas, it doesn't match what my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman carried. To the best of my memory, he his was a 2 blade Jack, with squared bolsters and amber bone scales.

I had one that was very close for a few years, but it was a Large Texas Jack and it was a big knife. I remembered Mr. Shipman's Case was smaller. So I got rid of it.

Well on new years eve, I found a standard Texas Jack. The seller had a "Make Offer" option, so I made and offer and he accepted it. Its new old stock and it is as close to the knife I remember Mr. Shipman, passing around for us to admire. I will carry this knife.
Beautiful knife. Did you seek out the CV version specifically? I tend to like it a lot better than their stainless steel.
“The great thing about dogs is we all have the best one.” -Me

“Don’t you ever try that again. That’s how people get store bought teeth.” -Joe Mannix
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

JimVH wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 13:29
Bloodhound wrote: 04 Jan 2024, 11:38 OK...so while I like the little redbone Case stockman that I got before Christmas, it doesn't match what my 4th grade teacher, Mr. Shipman carried. To the best of my memory, he his was a 2 blade Jack, with squared bolsters and amber bone scales.

Beautiful knife. Did you seek out the CV version specifically? I tend to like it a lot better than their stainless steel.
Thanks...This is the first CV knife I have had. I was just looking for an Amber bone, 2 blade Texas Jack with Square bolsters and standard size. I just lucked out that it has the CV blades. I was looking for "The Knife". I have owned 3 other very nice Case knives in this quest to find one like my 4th grade teacher's knife...this is "The Knife"
I know his was vintage and it was likely carbon steel but I was going for the look and model and brand. I snuck it in under the wire for 2023 knife purchases. It was in the mail today. I have to go into the office tomorrow, and I will be packing this knife...there will be many situations tomorrow that require me to pull it out of my pocket and cut something :)
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The OFG's Pocket Knife

Post by Bloodhound »

I was reading back thru this thread and see that I forgot to post a pic of the new to me Schrade LB7.

Here it is...the one on the top. The LB7 on the left is the knife I have owned the longest, It was my birthday present when I turned 14. The Old time 34OT is my second longest owned knife it was a high school graduation present.

The new to me LB7 is the best feeling in the hand of that style...I have the Craftsman and it is an old friend, I have a Buck 110 that I have had for 10 years...but the new LB7 is better fit and finish than the other two, and its a little heftyier...
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...