The News & Topicality Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate / Fascism

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: Catholic Spirit
Link: thecatholicspirit DOT com/news/nation-and-world/migrant-drownings-stoke-cross-border-tensions-questions-on-jurisdiction/
Migrant drownings stoke cross-border tensions, questions on jurisdiction

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Jan 18, 2024 — The drownings of three Mexican migrants in the Rio Grande has deepened a jurisdictional dispute between the U.S. federal and Texas state governments over responding to the wave of migrants and asylum-seekers irregularly crossing the U.S.–Mexico border.

But a Dominican brother working on the Mexican side of the border says drownings in the Rio Grande have become disturbingly routine as migrants cross a river that can appear deceptively calm and narrow.

“Some six or seven people have already died (this year) in the Rio Grande,” Dominican Brother Obed Cuellar, director of the Dignified Border Shelter in Piedras Negras, told OSV News. “The water is very cold at this time so when people enter the water and stay for several minutes, they suffer hypothermia.”

Virterma de la Sancha Cerros, 33, and her two children, Yorlei Rubi, 10; and Jonathan Agustín Briones, 8, drowned in the Rio Grande as they attempted to cross during a cold snap Jan. 12 between Piedras Negras and Eagle Pass, Texas. Their bodies were recovered by Mexican officials, according to the Mexican foreign ministry.

[…]

Brother Cuellar said migrants often ignore warnings about the Rio Grande such as information from border officials on river conditions. But, he says, “Nobody listens. They say: ‘We’re going and we’re leaving.' ”

“I think this is a tragedy and at the same time Texas’ fault,” he said of the drownings, blaming “anti-migration” laws and previous measures such as installing buoys between Piedras Negras and Eagle Pass. “(It) made so many people look to cross where the river is deeper or it’s more difficult.”

“They don’t work; they could have a media impact, though,” Father Francisco Gallardo, director of migrant ministries in the Diocese of Matamoros, opposite Brownsville, Texas, said of the Texas measures against migration.

“All these measures that the United States imposes do not stop migration,” he told OSV News. “Migrants are going to enter in one way or another. They’re going to look for a thousand ways to enter and they’ll find it, they’ll cross to the United States.”

U.S. Customs and Border Protection reported more than 10,000 encounters with migrants on some days in December. Encounters were especially high in Arizona and at Eagle Pass.

Uncertainty over U.S. migration policy, potential restrictions of claiming asylum and rumors of the CBP One app being discontinued — denied by U.S. officials — also spurred crossings.

“These fears around not having access to protection are driving at least the timing of people’s decisions,” Joanna Williams, executive director of the Kino Border Initiative, a binational Catholic project serving migrants in Nogales, Arizona, and the Mexican state of Sonora, told OSV News.

Williams pointed to a drop in the number of migrants passing through the Darién Gap, the thick jungle separating Colombia and Panama, along with large numbers arriving at the border during the Christmas period — when migrants usually stay put — as signs of a migration peak.

The peak “might be due to people who are in situations of instability and violence believing that this is their last chance to seek safety before policies change,” she said. “There is a little bit of an attitude that ‘this is the moment.' ”

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate | Breaking News

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Title: Supreme Court allows Biden administration to remove razor wire on US–Mexico border in 5–4 vote
Source: CNN
Link: cnn DOT com/2024/01/22/politics/supreme-court-texas-razor-wire/index.html

The Money-Quotes:
The Supreme Court is allowing US Border Patrol agents to remove razor wire deployed by Texas GOP Gov. Greg Abbott’s security initiative at the US–Mexico border while the state’s legal challenge to the practice plays out.

The vote was 5–4.

[…]

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh said they would have denied the federal request.

Jocose
Usher
Usher

The Right to Migrate | Breaking News

Post by Jocose »

Wosbald wrote: 22 Jan 2024, 15:51 +JMJ+

Title: Supreme Court allows Biden administration to remove razor wire on US–Mexico border in 5–4 vote
Source: CNN
Link: cnn DOT com/2024/01/22/politics/supreme-court-texas-razor-wire/index.html

The Money-Quotes:
The Supreme Court is allowing US Border Patrol agents to remove razor wire deployed by Texas GOP Gov. Greg Abbott’s security initiative at the US–Mexico border while the state’s legal challenge to the practice plays out.

The vote was 5–4.

[…]

Justices Clarence Thomas, Samuel Alito, Neil Gorsuch and Brett Kavanaugh said they would have denied the federal request.
https://x.com/SteveScalise/status/17495 ... 75795?s=20

The same White House that wants you to think they’re serious about border security just went to the Supreme Court so they could TAKE DOWN the border barriers Texas put up.

What a joke.

Texas is trying to actually uphold our laws—but the Biden Administration is blocking them.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1749836 ... 54572?s=20

NEW: Naperville, Illinois Councilman Josh McBroom calls on liberals who support open borders to host illegal immigrants in their homes.

Brilliant 🔥

“We do have a very affluent community, a lot of big homes, and what I'd like to do is direct staff to create a signup sheet for individuals that would be willing to house migrant families.”

“I think we need to find out who would be willing to house migrant families.”

Video:
@EndWokeness
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Jocose wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 08:08 https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1749836 ... 54572?s=20

NEW: Naperville, Illinois Councilman Josh McBroom calls on liberals who support open borders to host illegal immigrants in their homes.

Brilliant 🔥

“We do have a very affluent community, a lot of big homes, and what I'd like to do is direct staff to create a signup sheet for individuals that would be willing to house migrant families.”

“I think we need to find out who would be willing to house migrant families.”

Video:
@EndWokeness
My first thought is to wonder how many illegal immigrant families the affluent city council members have welcomed into their homes.

As a practical matter, this could work -- but only if there is a program in place that moves the migrant families out of the guest rooms and into housing of their own within a week or less. No reasonable American family is going to host refugees for an open-ended stay.
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

This begs the question, if it's unconstitutional to quarter British troops who illegally migrated to the US in private homes, why not illegal Nicaraguans??
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Right to Migrate

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Hovannes wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 11:24 This begs the question, if it's unconstitutional to quarter British troops who illegally migrated to the US in private homes, why not illegal Nicaraguans??
The first are State Actors.

The second are Civilians.

:D

Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

https://x.com/charliekirk11/status/1750 ... 28369?s=20

Texas Governor Greg Abbott has released a statement outlining states' rights to constitutional self-defense when dealing with a "lawless president":

"James Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and the other visionaries who wrote the U.S. Constitution foresaw that States should not be left to the mercy of a lawless president who does nothing to stop external threats like cartels smuggling millions of illegal immigrants across the border."

I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Del
Usher
Usher

The Right to Migrate

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 11:40 +JMJ+
Hovannes wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 11:24 This begs the question, if it's unconstitutional to quarter British troops who illegally migrated to the US in private homes, why not illegal Nicaraguans??

At this point, no one is proposing to compel private homeowners to quarter unwelcome migrants.

The clueless Illinois council-mumbler imagines that homeowner-families will volunteer to host unknown illegal aliens. Not that he has taken any illegals into his own home....
mcommini
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

The Right to Migrate

Post by mcommini »

Del wrote: 25 Jan 2024, 15:38
Wosbald wrote: 24 Jan 2024, 11:40 +JMJ+

At this point, no one is proposing to compel private homeowners to quarter unwelcome migrants.

The clueless Illinois council-mumbler imagines that homeowner-families will volunteer to host unknown illegal aliens. Not that he has taken any illegals into his own home....
We're speaking of affluent suburban Illinoisians. There are plenty of illegal immigrants welcomed into their homes.

"And when you get done dusting the chandelier, Consuela, the guest linens need changing."