Absolutely useless facts about you nobody cares about

The part of the forum where the silliest things happen. Conversations that sound like they belong here, will be moved here. Maybe.
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

Hovannes wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 18:55 I did a head plant into the curb in front of my house Friday.
I've scabbed up pretty good.
Not that anyone should care.
Sorry to hear, Hov. Any ring cam footage?
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
Bloodhound
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Bloodhound »

Jocose wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 23:35
Hovannes wrote: 12 Feb 2024, 18:55 I did a head plant into the curb in front of my house Friday.
I've scabbed up pretty good.
Not that anyone should care.
Sorry to hear, Hov. Any ring cam footage?
I lost it while shoveling this weekend. The neighbor came out as I was getting to my feet and told me, "I knew I should have asked Santa for a Ring Doorbell cam...That was epic"

I was not amused...

Hov I hope you are healing up from your fall
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Post by Hovannes »

I'm very fortunate not to have taken it in the chops, or a headlight. My skinned nose is just a flesh wound, as they's say in the old West.
I'm still flyin' with the dirty side down.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

I made a couple crystal radios sets when I was a kid. One from a kit and one from scratch with a crystal potted by my dad's buddy who was a ham. That was probably 55 years ago, when Radio Shack was really Radio Shack. I'd ride my bike probably 7 miles one way to RS to get parts for the radios and the various antennas I built. The hobby shop was on the same block, so I'd buy a plastic model kit or hop up parts for slot cars while I was over there if I had the cash. Surfing the web today I found there's still a lot of guys (always guys I think) fiddling with these things.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Jocose
Usher
Usher

Post by Jocose »

FredS wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 08:13 I made a couple crystal radios sets when I was a kid. One from a kit and one from scratch with a crystal potted by my dad's buddy who was a ham. That was probably 55 years ago, when Radio Shack was really Radio Shack. I'd ride my bike probably 7 miles one way to RS to get parts for the radios and the various antennas I built. The hobby shop was on the same block, so I'd buy a plastic model kit or hop up parts for slot cars while I was over there if I had the cash. Surfing the web today I found there's still a lot of guys (always guys I think) fiddling with these things.
I made xtal radios as a kid as well. One time I rode my bmx bike down to Radio Shack to get a crystal diode to build a set and the guys at the desk didn’t know what I was asking so I explained what I needed for what I was building.

They found me the part and asked what batteries I needed for it and laughed at me when I said crystal radios don’t need batteries.

They really laughed and tried to explain that there is no such thing as a radio or anything at all that doesn’t need power. I politely tried to explain that an AM crystal radio needs no power. They continued to laugh.

They eventually apologized after I asked if they had a kit in stock that they could look at for themselves.

It’s a core memory.
The views expressed here are either mine or not my own, not sure.
The opinions expressed here may or may not be my own.
I post links to stuff.
Make your own choices.
joegoat
The Naughty Grand Poobah
The Naughty Grand Poobah

Post by joegoat »

Jocose wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 22:38
FredS wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 08:13 I made a couple crystal radios sets when I was a kid. One from a kit and one from scratch with a crystal potted by my dad's buddy who was a ham. That was probably 55 years ago, when Radio Shack was really Radio Shack. I'd ride my bike probably 7 miles one way to RS to get parts for the radios and the various antennas I built. The hobby shop was on the same block, so I'd buy a plastic model kit or hop up parts for slot cars while I was over there if I had the cash. Surfing the web today I found there's still a lot of guys (always guys I think) fiddling with these things.
I made xtal radios as a kid as well. One time I rode my bmx bike down to Radio Shack to get a crystal diode to build a set and the guys at the desk didn’t know what I was asking so I explained what I needed for what I was building.

They found me the part and asked what batteries I needed for it and laughed at me when I said crystal radios don’t need batteries.

They really laughed and tried to explain that there is no such thing as a radio or anything at all that doesn’t need power. I politely tried to explain that an AM crystal radio needs no power. They continued to laugh.

They eventually apologized after I asked if they had a kit in stock that they could look at for themselves.

It’s a core memory.
That was back when Radio Shack was cool. I remember Radio Shack moving into more RC cars and cellphones, but still had a decent corner devoted to electronic components and DIY. I tried to get a thermal fuse there in 2010ish. The guy behind the counter had no clue what that was. They folded soon afterwards if I recall.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati (When all else fails, play dead)
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Post by FredS »

joegoat wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 08:48
Jocose wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 22:38

It’s a core memory.
That was back when Radio Shack was cool. I remember Radio Shack moving into more RC cars and cellphones, but still had a decent corner devoted to electronic components and DIY. I tried to get a thermal fuse there in 2010ish. The guy behind the counter had no clue what that was. They folded soon afterwards if I recall.
It's sad really. If they had been able to forecast trends worth a damn, they'd be yuge. Young people today are still in to electronics - building computers, raspberry pies, robots for fun and competition, gaming systems, hacking devices, home security systems, wireless networks, etc - and Radio Shack would be the most well established geek store in the world if they'd evolved. The same way Blockbuster could have been first on the scene if they'd evolved into a streaming service. Or how IBM could have owned the PC market. I know the internet came 'round 20 years ago and made all this stuff easy to get online, but I like to go down to Denver to visit Micro Center in real life a couple times a year just to nose around. The place is always packed with DIY'ers. From guys like me who just need a cooling fan and a new set of speakers to stoners in pajama pants building AI girlfriends or sim rigs, there's a market in every mid-sized town for an electronics store.

Heck there's even old guys like Jo who still mess with, you know, actual radios.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Post by Biff »

FredS wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:16 I know the internet came 'round 20 years ago and made all this stuff easy to get online
30 yrs for regular folk, 50 for nerds & geeks
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:44
FredS wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:16 I know the internet came 'round 20 years ago and made all this stuff easy to get online
30 yrs for regular folk, 50 for nerds & geeks
I remember when Al Gore clicked the first mouse.
Del
Usher
Usher

Post by Del »

About three or four times a month, I help out a friend with her house-cleaning business. Stacey is a cute little pistol with an ornery sense of humor. She delights in teasing me about how I am so old, fat, out-of-shape, and generally stupid.

She has regular staff for regular jobs. But sometimes a contractor calls needing a one-time job to clean up after a remodel project, and that's when she presses me into working with her.

Last week, she called me with this: "Del, are you available to help me on Tuesday, Feb. 20? Or will you be too hungover from celebrating President's Day?"