$20/hr

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

$20/hr

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 06:57 "I never thought leopards would eat my face" sobs the woman who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party.
Elitist Democrats don't seem to understand how people live and work together. Employers, employees, and customers live together in a social ecosystem. If they hurt one segment, they hurt them all. They can't help employees by hurting the employers.

Marxist theories that we can help employees by killing employers is what killed the Soviet Union.

The converse it also true. If government leadership can help one segment without harming the ecosystem, it helps everyone else as well. Trump cut corporate tax rates, telling manufacturers that they can profitably build more factories and hire more workers. Hundreds of thousands of new jobs in manufacturing and energy production were created in the most fiercely depressed areas of the nation. Everyone with a 401K benefited as well.

Democrats hue and cry about "Tax Cuts For the Rich" because they are cynical. The trust that we don't know that employers and employees thrive or starve together. And because Democrats have long controlled our eduction system, their faith in our ignorance is well-founded.

Thus people will continue to vote for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party. Death to the Bourgeoisie!
Del
Usher
Usher

$20/hr

Post by Del »

While they're at it....

Biden Pushing Menthol Cigarette Ban, Could Devastate Jobs In Convenience Industry
... the FDA “set a deadline for publishing its final ruling on menthol by August 2023. That was delayed in December and then rescheduled for March 2024.”

According to the National Association of Convenience Stores (NACS), banning menthol cigarettes would reduce non-tobacco sundry sales $72,285 a year and tobacco sales $160,107 for the average convenience store; the convenience industry could lose $2.16 billion in sales.
I'm pretty sure this will get delayed yet again until after November.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

$20/hr

Post by FredS »

Presuming a 10% store profit, the money made on selling $73K in menthol cigs a year is about enough to pay a full-time $20/hour employee for a week. So, the feds taking away that single product means, in real effect, that somebody will be laid off for a week. It seems a goofy equation, but that's how it works. The money lost will be recouped by saving somewhere else, and $h!^ runs downhill, so who (besides the millions of people who enjoy menthol cigarettes) do they suppose is going to take the hit?
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Del
Usher
Usher

$20/hr

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 11:39 Presuming a 10% store profit, the money made on selling $73K in menthol cigs a year is about enough to pay a full-time $20/hour employee for a week. So, the feds taking away that single product means, in real effect, that somebody will be laid off for a week. It seems a goofy equation, but that's how it works. The money lost will be recouped by saving somewhere else, and $h!^ runs downhill, so who (besides the millions of people who enjoy menthol cigarettes) do they suppose is going to take the hit?
You math needs some checking. But your conclusion is still solid enough.

$160K in cigarettes, plus $72K in "sundry sales" (gotta buy a soda with those cigs) is $232K. 10% margin is $23K, or about 6 months FTE. One half-time employee gets fired -- if all of those menthol smokers just plain quit.

But... a lot of those menthol smokers will switch to plain cigs, and life will carry on for the convenience stores.

Now.... what if the FDA comes out with a rule that bans aromatic flavors on tobacco altogether?
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

$20/hr

Post by FredS »

Del wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 12:40 You math needs some checking.
This is why I flip burgers for $20/hr. I'm not good with word problems.
Also, your spelling needs checking but hey, I can't do math so who am I to mention it?
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

$20/hr

Post by coco »

Look, inflation has been tough on everyone, but there is a simple solution: Print enough new money that everybody gets a million dollars. Problem solved!
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
SlowToke
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

$20/hr

Post by SlowToke »

coco wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 18:29 Look, inflation has been tough on everyone, but there is a simple solution: Print enough new money that everybody gets a million dollars. Problem solved!
If everyone is a millionaire then no one is a millionaire. :)
Hovannes
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

$20/hr

Post by Hovannes »

You've got to be a billionaire these days, LOL!