The Holy Land Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Usher
Usher

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Del »

Hovannes wrote: 24 Apr 2024, 16:15 Case in point:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/is ... c64e&ei=29

Does anyone believe Hamas will permit the civilian population to evacuate to safety?
Early in the conflict, IDF would phone the office of an apartment building and urge everyone to evacuate as the building was about to be targeted for the HAMAS assets underneath. Apartment managers would respond in panic, as HAMAS had the bsurrounding streets blocked off and would shoot anyone who left.

IDF eventually fought and defended an escape corridor so residents of northern Gaza could evacuate.

I am certain that if Israel has erected a tent city to house refugees from Rafah, the Israelis have also planned a way for non-combatants to escape to safety.
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

Fratelli Tutti

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: America
Link: americamagazine DOT org/faith/2024/04/23/cardinal-dolan-palestine-israel-gaza-247772
Cardinal Dolan: In the Holy Land, I saw broken hearts — and dreams for a better future [Analysis, Opinion]

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Apr 23, 2024 — Everybody able to visit the Holy Land observes how the prayers of the Bible come alive when spoken there. During my recent visit, I often halted at Psalm 34, “The Lord is close to the broken-hearted, and saves those who are crushed in spirit.”

“Here we speak not from our mouths, but in tears and trembling hearts,” as one woman told me.

One of the Franciscans with whom I chatted was worried about a “low-grade depression” haunting those who bravely minister in the Holy Land. “I’m not talking about clinical depression, although I guess there’s some of that,” he went on to explain. “I mean more the daily drudgery of frustrations, as we learn never to say, ‘Well, at least it can’t get worse,’ because it sure will.”

Those of us familiar with the hallowed narrative of salvation realize this has ever been the case in those acres chosen by the God of Abraham as his special arena of revelation. Yet even the longtime experts and observers admit it seems especially dismal now.

Because I went over to mark the 75th anniversary of the Pontifical Mission for Palestine, a major initiative of the Catholic Near East Welfare Association, much of my visit was with the tiny and beleaguered community of Christians, here since ancient times. Yet because of my love for and cooperation with the Jewish community here in New York, I could hardly pass up the chance of spending time with Israelis as well.

[…]

To be sure, there is plenty of heartbreak and crushed spirits to go around. Likewise, there are a lot of “experts” suggesting how the tense situation should be healed. I’m not one of them. However, three steps seem essential:
  • the immediate return of the hostages held by Hamas.
  • an immediate cease-fire.
  • a turning away from the extremes on both sides — that is, both the cutthroat Hamas who dance and cheer as they behead Israelis and others, vowing to exterminate all Jews; and the unbending Israelis, a minority indeed, who autograph missiles headed for Gaza and want to reduce that land to a parking lot.
I remember two grandmas. One came in the group of Jewish survivors of Oct. 7 with whom we visited. She is now in residence at a hotel because her home was destroyed by Hamas fanatics, her granddaughters spared from rape and beheading while hidden in the “safe room,” her son-in-law murdered. “I’m sure thankful for the care I’ve gotten and the nice hotel room where I’m staying,” she said, “but … I just want to go home!” Will she ever be able to? When?

Then a second grandma at the Palestinian refugee camp I visited near the ominous wall separating Israelis and Palestinians in Bethlehem. She wore around her neck the actual key to the house in Jerusalem from which she had to flee in 1948. Seventy-six years ago and she still had the key! “I just want to go home!” Will she ever be able to? When?

The dream of those two grandmas, one Israeli, one Palestinian, in a land of nightmares.

The daily rocking of babies by those sisters in Bethlehem.

The hidden prayers from the cloistered contemplative nuns on the Mount of Olives.

Good medicine for broken hearts and crushed spirits.

Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Holy Land Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+

Source: National Catholic Reporter
Link: ncronline DOT org/news/catholic-relief-services-rep-gaza-fears-possible-rafah-invasion
Catholic Relief Services rep for Gaza fears possible Rafah invasion

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

May 2, 2024 — If Israel launches a ground invasion in Rafah, as Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed this week, the nearly 1 million displaced Palestinians there will have few or no safe places to go, said a Catholic Relief Services official who recently visited the southern Gazan city.

"The logistics associated with moving that many people is just massive," said Jason Knapp, CRS' country representative in Jerusalem, West Bank and Gaza. He spoke to NCR from Jerusalem after returning from a six-day trip to Gaza that included a stop in Rafah on Monday (April 29).

"People say, 'I don't know where I can go, where it's going to be safe,' " Knapp said. "That is the biggest concern on everybody's mind."

Knapp said he is fearful not only about the loss of life, but also that a ground invasion would affect the movement of humanitarian workers and aid. "We don't know what supply lines will remain open," he said. "That's an important discussion that still needs to happen."

Although U.S. administration officials have been pressing Israel to avoid a major assault on Rafah to minimize Palestinian casualties, Netanyahu threatened Tuesday (April 30) to go forward with the long-planned attack, even amid cease-fire negotiations.

United Nations chief Antonio Guterres urged Israel not to proceed with the military assault, saying it would "be an unbearable escalation, killing thousands more civilians and forcing hundreds of thousands to flee."

[…]

The New York Times has reported that some Palestinians in Rafah have been moving north in anticipation of an Israeli ground offensive. But Knapp said in Khan Yunis, which is about 5 miles north of Rafah, he witnessed "staggering" levels of destruction.

"You see areas that were totally leveled," he said. "The hospital that we used to support during COVID days is entirely burned out, every single floor."

In the northern half of Gaza, where the United Nations estimates about 300,000 Palestinians remain, conditions are dire, Knapp said. "We are very concerned about hunger in Gaza … and by far the biggest concern is in the north," he said.

Although some U.N. aid convoys have reached the north, Catholic Relief Services is not currently working there. "We're hoping soon we'll be able to send assistance to our partner organizations in the north," Knapp said. "It's still a very complex environment in the north, and security is still a big concern."

[…]

Knapp said the people in Gaza appreciate the solidarity of Catholics around the world and he praised Catholic Relief Services donors who have stepped up for "the huge resource need with a crisis of this scale."

He also praised Pope Francis and the U.S. bishops for their "clear message that this needs to end."

A prophetic voice based on Catholic social teaching, which can cut through the political narratives, is key, he said.

"When I talk to my colleagues on the ground, they say, 'Just make the bombs stop.' "