Stock Trading

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 23 May 2024, 10:55
Del wrote: 23 May 2024, 07:54
sweetandsour wrote: 23 May 2024, 05:46 SO, if I buy 1 share before 6/10 ...
Then you'll have 10 shares after 6/10 AND qualify for 10 cents in the dividend payout on 6/11 !!!!
Or I may buy half of a share, and earn a nickle. Anyway the price is way too expensive now; but I still may buy a share.

BTW, a couple of friends that invested in copper a year or so ago finally saw some gains recently.
I forgot about copper! Biden was going to see Russia kicked quickly out of Ukraine, and then we could make back on the rebuilding boom. Remember that?

I bought 100 shares of NVDA in my IRA last September when it was $484. Been selling calls. More than double now. 118%

Thanks to you for urging me to watch NVDA, and thanks to Mr. Piper for encouraging me to sell calls in my IRA.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 23 May 2024, 11:39
Del wrote: 23 May 2024, 07:54

Then you'll have 10 shares after 6/10 AND qualify for 10 cents in the dividend payout on 6/11 !!!!
Or I may buy half of a share, and earn a nickle. Anyway the price is way too expensive now; but I still may buy a share.

BTW, a couple of friends that invested in copper a year or so ago finally saw some gains recently.
I forgot about copper! Biden was going to see Russia kicked quickly out of Ukraine, and then we could make back on the rebuilding boom. Remember that?

I bought 100 shares of NVDA in my IRA last September when it was $484. Been selling calls. More than double now. 118%

Thanks to you for urging me to watch NVDA, and thanks to Mr. Piper for encouraging me to sell calls in my IRA.
You're doing great!
What a wild ride yesterday. I almost bought Snowflake again yesterday when it went to 154. If I'd done so, I could have sold this morning at 159, and made $60, since I was playing with 10 shares. I'm looking at getting back into options, if I can land on a stock that I like, that isn't out of my price range.
The Indians will not bother you now, on account of ... you are touched.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 24 May 2024, 08:40

You're doing great!
What a wild ride yesterday. I almost bought Snowflake again yesterday when it went to 154. If I'd done so, I could have sold this morning at 159, and made $60, since I was playing with 10 shares. I'm looking at getting back into options, if I can land on a stock that I like, that isn't out of my price range.
I have a lot of CAVA in my IRA as well. It has been spectacular. It was trading in the 30's and 40's and 50's a few months ago. Now it's over 80.

I had calls at 83 that expired today (Friday). CAVA closed at 82.93, but it snicked up to 84.1 in after-market trading, so I will get called out.

Now I want to buy it back next week. Market is closed on Monday, so buy on Tuesday. I really want to get it back, because CAVA reports earnings on Tuesday evening, and it looks like Mr. Market expects it to gap up..... no other reason can explain this Friday surge.

Just one problem: I will be in Ireland on Tuesday when the market opens.... at 2:30 pm local time, while I'm trying to drive on the wrong side of the road with my wife & family and my daughter-in-law's family. Ain't nobody gonna want to stop so I can watch the market.

Best I can do is to program Vanguard to buy at whatever price when the market opens and hope for the best.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 24 May 2024, 21:51
sweetandsour wrote: 24 May 2024, 08:40

You're doing great!
I have a lot of CAVA in my IRA as well. It has been spectacular. It was trading in the 30's and 40's and 50's a few months ago. Now it's over 80.

I had calls at 83 that expired today (Friday). CAVA closed at 82.93, but it snicked up to 84.1 in after-market trading, so I will get called out.

Now I want to buy it back next week. Market is closed on Monday, so buy on Tuesday. I really want to get it back, because CAVA reports earnings on Tuesday evening, and it looks like Mr. Market expects it to gap up..... no other reason can explain this Friday surge.

Just one problem: I will be in Ireland on Tuesday when the market opens.... at 2:30 pm local time, while I'm trying to drive on the wrong side of the road with my wife & family and my daughter-in-law's family. Ain't nobody gonna want to stop so I can watch the market.

Best I can do is to program Vanguard to buy at whatever price when the market opens and hope for the best.
CAVA could go either way I think, but I may buy a few shares like I did for Snowflake, but watch it a little closer and be ready this time to bale out. Another food related stock to watch may be SG, (Sweetgreen, the salad place). It's current price is a little lower than CAVA.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 25 May 2024, 08:24
CAVA could go either way I think, but I may buy a few shares like I did for Snowflake, but watch it a little closer and be ready this time to bale out. Another food related stock to watch may be SG, (Sweetgreen, the salad place). It's current price is a little lower than CAVA.
Buying before earnings is a roll of the dice. It could gap up or down.

The options expired 5 hours ago (11 am central), and so far neither my Vanguard account nor my trading account indicate that I got assigned and called out. Maybe the computers just look as the price at the bell, and expect option holders to call in and say "exercise anyhow"?

In any case, I am holding on to CAVA for the long term. I don't care if it gaps down after earnings. I expect it will perform well in coming years, so not concerned about fits and bumps along the way.

My retail stocks (Target TGT and Ulta Beauty ULTA) are lagging the market under Biden's economy. They are both "discretionary consumer spending," and consumers don't have money for luxury and extras at this time.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

NVDA will split 10:1 on Monday.

New trading price will be roughly $120 per share.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

Del wrote: 06 Jun 2024, 09:35 NVDA will split 10:1 on Monday.

I almost bought 1 share today. I put in a limit order for 1185 but then cancelled it. I'll wait and buy 10 shares Monday morning and watch it. Meanwhile I sold CAVA again; this time I bought at 86, and sold either yesterday or Tuesday at 91. It ended up getting to 92 before dropping back down, and today it's trading at ~84 +/-. Last week I sold CALM when the price reached up into the 60s. So, now I'm on the sideline again with my active trading acct, while my Fidelity equity fund rides the SP500 wave of NVDA, Microsoft and Apple.
sweetandsour
Usher
Usher

Stock Trading

Post by sweetandsour »

sweetandsour wrote: 06 Jun 2024, 11:13
Del wrote: 06 Jun 2024, 09:35 NVDA will split 10:1 on Monday.

I almost bought 1 share today. I put in a limit order for 1185 but then cancelled it. I'll wait and buy 10 shares Monday morning and watch it. Meanwhile I sold CAVA again; this time I bought at 86, and sold either yesterday or Tuesday at 91. It ended up getting to 92 before dropping back down, and today it's trading at ~84 +/-. Last week I sold CALM when the price reached up into the 60s. So, now I'm on the sideline again with my active trading acct, while my Fidelity equity fund rides the SP500 wave of NVDA, Microsoft and Apple.
I caved and bought a share of NVDA this morning, at 1190. I almost caught it at the dip during premarket, at 1179, but that's another story. Anyway, Monday morning it'll be 10 shares, at 120.8/share. It's been a long time since I messed with NVDA. We shall see what happens, but I'll have my finger on the trigger Monday morning for sure.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 07 Jun 2024, 15:52 I caved and bought a share of NVDA this morning, at 1190. I almost caught it at the dip during premarket, at 1179, but that's another story. Anyway, Monday morning it'll be 10 shares, at 120.8/share. It's been a long time since I messed with NVDA. We shall see what happens, but I'll have my finger on the trigger Monday morning for sure.
Last September, I bought 100 NVDA in my IRA after our discussion with Mr. Piper. And I am grateful to you for bringing NVDA to my attention when you started this thread.

I bought NVDA at $484.

NVDA closed on Friday at $1209. That's 150% gain in 9 months.

NVDA market cap is just shy of $3 trillion.
=================================================

NVDA has seen a significant surge over the last three weeks. $925 on May 17 to 1209 on Jun 7. 31%.

I believe this is real value, based on earnings and outlook reported on May 22. I am sticking with NVDA, as the AI boom is just getting started.

However, it is possible that some of this recent growth is mere speculation -- a run-up before the stock split, hoping for more run-up after the stock split. There is a risk of a pull-back shortly after the split, as speculators close their play.

Be patient with NVDA. I believe it is still a solid buy-&-hold stock. It will be interesting to watch what happens before and after the next earnings report in August.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

Stock Trading

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 07 Jun 2024, 15:52ping
Heads up for Wednesday, June 12: It's going to be a wild market day.

May CPI inflation data drops before market opens.

FED rate meeting decision and press conference in the afternoon.

Last week's employment data was a mixed bag:
Unemployment was up, more than expected -- asking FED to lower rates sooner.
But new jobs were also up, more than expected -- inflationary pressure, tempting FED to keep rates high.

Mr. Market is going to be wracked with fear and giddy with exuberance. He's schizoid like that. Anything and everything could happen. Especially when SPX is already trading at new-record levels.

My iron condors close on Tuesday. I don't want anything risky on the table when the walls and floor start shaking.