The Election Thread

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Del
Deacon
Deacon

The Election Thread

Post by Del »

FredS wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 13:03 One remembers, while looking back, that Mrs Obama was off limits for public critique. Personally, I think all first ladies (and men when that happens) and first children should be off-limits for late-night comedians and paparazzi.
I whole-heartedly agree.

But Dr. Jill has stepped up to be Joe's stand-in at campaign rallies and media events.
And Hunter is a middle-aged adult (less than ten years younger than my senior self) who sits in with Dad at staff meetings, in spite of his sordid recent-past.

So I don't mind if reporters, political commentators, and late-night comedians take their shots at them.
FredS wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 13:03But will Harris, a black women who's a DEI seat-filler if there ever was one, be pampered by the media and comedians? I think our media system is so out of whack that the left media will fawn over her as the New Hope, while the center will be afraid to be critical because she's in a protected class, and the right media will shred her as unfit for the job. Hell, maybe she'll set the world on fire and pick Mrs Obama as her running mate! Or Hillary. President Obama is ineligible for the Presidency so he can't be VP. What's Bernie up to these days?
Harris is nobody's First Lady. If Biden and/or Harris win in November, it will be President Harris soon enough. She's gonna get the full Presidential Candidate treatment. It has already started.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

The Election Thread

Post by Del »

sweetandsour wrote: 10 Jul 2024, 19:36 God help us.
Perhaps He already is.
Del
Deacon
Deacon

The Election Thread

Post by Del »

Looking at the Senate:

Republicans are almost certain to take control of the Senate by at least a narrow margin.
There is a strong possibility that Democrats could lose big... a number of seats that they thought were safe are now vulnerable.

Especially if Biden stays in the race and suppresses the enthusiasm of Democrat voters. Democrats rely on a high turn-out of barely informed voters.

If Republicans get a strong hold on the Senate, it will be difficult for Democrats to wrest it back in the next decade.

CNN breaks it all down:

How Biden’s 2024 choice could reshape the Senate and Supreme Court for years

Justices Thomas, Alito, and Sotomayor are all in their 70's. Control of the White House and Senate will determine whether the Court is dominated by activist ideologues or Originalists (interpreting the Constitution and legislation according to how it was intended when it was passed).
Wosbald
Door Greeter
Door Greeter

The Election Thread

Post by Wosbald »

+JMJ+
Del wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 05:10 […]

… will determine whether the Court is dominated by activist ideologues or Originalists (interpreting the Constitution and legislation according to how it was intended when it was passed).
Unless the Justices are spiritist mediums — variously inhabited by the shades of Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, et al. — then Originalism must be lumped-in with all other interpretive judicial philosophies, viz., all having the same latent potential for " 'activist' ideologoguery".

The More You Know.
🌠

Del
Deacon
Deacon

The Election Thread

Post by Del »

Wosbald wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 10:26 +JMJ+
Del wrote: 11 Jul 2024, 05:10 […]

… will determine whether the Court is dominated by activist ideologues or Originalists (interpreting the Constitution and legislation according to how it was intended when it was passed).
Unless the Justices are spiritist mediums — variously inhabited by the shades of Washington, Jefferson, Hamilton, et al. — then Originalism must be lumped-in with all other interpretive judicial philosophies, viz., all having the same latent potential for " 'activist' ideologoguery".

The More You Know.
🌠
That's always a risk, I suppose.

Fortunately, the conservative Right have not yet started behaving like the activist Left.

There's no guarantee of immunity. Conservatives could embrace insane ideologies and pursue them unjustly and violently, as the Left does. We could easily become the thing we hate by daring to imitating their success. I hope we have all learned our lesson after Jan 6.