Optics

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
Hovannes
Usher
Usher

Optics

Post by Hovannes »

So there I was, cleaning out a hall closet so a contractor could access our attic to blow in more insulation, when I discovered two pairs of long lost binoculars, a 7x50 and a 7x24 neither what I'd consider mission appropriate for observing a mountain climber (my son) on El Capitan, a 4,000 ft granite wall in YNP.
I'm wonder what you knowledgeable folks would suggest. I have nothing against spotting scopes, if that matters but economy does matter quite a bit.
Any suggestions as to power, field of view, that sort of stuff?
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Optics

Post by Biff »

One word: Vortex.

Great glass, UNBEATABLE warranty. Bass-Pro is your friend. Tell `em I sent ya.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Optics

Post by FredS »

I started with a cheap pair of 8x42 Tascos someone gave me for Christmas when I was about 14 years old. I still have them and it's set me up for a life of settling for cheap optics. Lately I've bought a couple pairs of compact models (Bushnell and Simmons) to keep at the cabin and in the vehicles. They're all subpar so I suppose I'm issuing a cautionary tale rather than a positive one like Biff.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Bloodhound
Usher
Usher

Optics

Post by Bloodhound »

I have always settled for inexpensive binos and spotting scope. 2 years ago we went to Oregon to watch the whales and before the trip, I started research on "Best bang for the buck" so that I could take good glass on the trip. I discovered the Bausch and Lomb 28-1042. A very nice set of glass if you can get a pair that were made in Canada. But these are only available on the used market, as they are out of production. (I found 2 pair on the bay and bought them both one for my truck and one for my son in law)

I also discovered the Nikon "Aculon"...Even better than the B&L. I took both the B&L and the Nikon to Oregon and used them both. I really like them both, but the Nikons have better glass and are easier to adjust, the B&L are sturdy & tuff as nails.

The resort where we stayed in Oregon is on the beach and they have Nikon Aculon 8x42 binos in every unit. I asked the manager about them, and he said that after a bunch of research, they were the best glass for the money and they had tried several brands and models before settling on the Nikons.

I like the Nikon "Aculon" and have it in 10x42 and 8x42. I found mine on line for less than $80 a pair.
Do Justice...
Love Mercy...
Walk Humbly with your GOD