Gun Control 2022

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

Biden has been delivering a message of hope to those mourning in Texas, promising to "do something" about gun control, and that there is "no rational basis for buying high caliber weapons." Here's my idea: Ban all high-caliber guns, say 15 inches in diameter or more, from the public. He could probably get Republican support, and then claim a great victory with regard to school shootings.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
jmg
Resting Mercenary face
Resting Mercenary face

Gun Control 2022

Post by jmg »

coco wrote: 30 May 2022, 10:12 Biden has been delivering a message of hope to those mourning in Texas, promising to "do something" about gun control, and that there is "no rational basis for buying high caliber weapons." Here's my idea: Ban all high-caliber guns, say 15 inches in diameter or more, from the public. He could probably get Republican support, and then claim a great victory with regard to school shootings.
I see what you did there.
"When you're dumb, you've got to be tough." -My dad

"No reserves. No retreats. No regrets." -William Borden
Biff
Darth Floof Floof
Darth Floof Floof

Gun Control 2022

Post by Biff »

Canada doesn't have a 2a. But I sure wish we did. Trudeau is riding the coat-tails of Uvalde to rob our rights and destroy our freedoms. His worth would be greater if he were underground inspiring cabbages.
Here I stand. I can do no other. :flags-wavegreatbritain: :flags-canada:
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

jmg wrote: 30 May 2022, 13:07
coco wrote: 30 May 2022, 10:12 Biden has been delivering a message of hope to those mourning in Texas, promising to "do something" about gun control, and that there is "no rational basis for buying high caliber weapons." Here's my idea: Ban all high-caliber guns, say 15 inches in diameter or more, from the public. He could probably get Republican support, and then claim a great victory with regard to school shootings.
I was just following Biden's lead.

(For those who may not know, the AR-15 is .223, which is the smallest readily available caliber.)
DLJake
Sunday School Superintendent
Sunday School Superintendent

Gun Control 2022

Post by DLJake »

coco wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:47

(For those who may not know, the AR-15 is .223, which is the smallest readily available caliber.)
Hold on there cowboy.

Your specs on the AR-15 are correct. However, we qualified with .22 longs. Yeah. That's right. 0.003 WRONG!

:auto-gmcredsmiley:

just trying to see all the smilies, one at a time.
Nothing destroys cowboy boots faster than mare's urine. - JimVH as published in Equine Quarterly September 2022
Del
Usher
Usher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Del »

Biff wrote: 30 May 2022, 15:25 Canada doesn't have a 2a. But I sure wish we did. Trudeau is riding the coat-tails of Uvalde to rob our rights and destroy our freedoms. His worth would be greater if he were underground inspiring cabbages.
Yup.

Canada Introducing New Extreme Gun Control Measures
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced on Monday that his leftist government was unveiling new attempts to restrict the rights of Canadians, including banning the sale of handguns.

“New gun control legislation the federal government tabled today includes a national freeze on the purchase, sale, importation and transfer of handguns in Canada — the government’s most ambitious attempt yet to restrict access to firearms in this country,” the CBC reported.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

DLJake wrote: 30 May 2022, 18:01

Hold on there cowboy.

Your specs on the AR-15 are correct. However, we qualified with .22 longs. Yeah. That's right. 0.003 WRONG!

:auto-gmcredsmiley:

just trying to see all the smilies, one at a time.
Strangely enough, the the lower limit on .22 long rifle is .223 in diameter. Technically at least, you are still correct if you want to say that the .223 is bigger than a .22LR, since the .222 Remington and .223 Remington are actually .224 in diameter.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

Troubadour wrote: 30 May 2022, 20:35
jmg wrote: 30 May 2022, 13:07 I see what you did there.

Are you sure that's the only caliber? I read that the AR-15 can use rounds such as 5.56 NATO. Not that I'd know.
He didn't write that .223 is the only caliber, but yes that rifle can also be chambered for 5.56 NATO because they are essentially, but not exactly, the same dimensions.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

Troubadour wrote: 30 May 2022, 20:35

Are you sure that's the only caliber? I read that the AR-15 can use rounds such as 5.56 NATO. Not that I'd know.
It was originally designed by Colt for the .223 Remington. The original patent expired, and many manufacturers (including Colt) have modified the design so that a wide range of calibers are now available. The interesting point is that Biden said "high-caliber" guns, not understanding that "caliber" refers to the diameter of the bullet being used.* His use of "caliber" in this context reveals his utter ignorance of the subject, and the gleeful repetition of his faux pas by the media and gun control supporters reveals their ignorance. "Caliber" isn't relevant to the gun conrol discussion.

Gun control lawmakers seldom understand that which they seek to ban, and thus there is a danger that they write laws that have unintended consequences. They would probably be fine with the unintended consequences, to be sure, since they proceed from the presupposition that any ban is a good one. Those who actually use guns for valid pursuits might not be as pleased.

*At least for diameters less than 0.8 inches, which would include all cartriges that would relevant to the discussion
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:13 . . .The interesting point is that Biden said "high-caliber" guns, not understanding that "caliber" refers to the diameter of the bullet being used.* His use of "caliber" in this context reveals his utter ignorance of the subject, and the gleeful repetition of his faux pas by the media and gun control supporters reveals their ignorance. "Caliber" isn't relevant to the gun control discussion. . .
I'd give Ol' Joe a pass on this and presume that he misspoke - saying "caliber" when he meant "capacity". He does that a lot.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson