Gun Control 2022

Where Fellowship and Camaraderie lives: that place where the CPS membership values fun and good fellowship as the cement of the community
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

FredS wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:17
coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:13 . . .The interesting point is that Biden said "high-caliber" guns, not understanding that "caliber" refers to the diameter of the bullet being used.* His use of "caliber" in this context reveals his utter ignorance of the subject, and the gleeful repetition of his faux pas by the media and gun control supporters reveals their ignorance. "Caliber" isn't relevant to the gun control discussion. . .
I'd give Ol' Joe a pass on this and presume that he misspoke - saying "caliber" when he meant "capacity". He does that a lot.
High-power is a nother possibility that came to mind. However, in order for him to have misspoken, he would have to actually undertand the difference between caliber and capacity. I'm not under the impression that any of these guys get such fine distinctions.
I am not as cool as JimVH. Nor or you. Well, unless you ARE JimVH.
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

So, Canadians can no longer buy, sell, transfer, or import handguns if the legislation is passed. What happens to legitimately owned handguns when the owner dies?
coco
JimVH from the old site
JimVH from the old site

Gun Control 2022

Post by coco »

CNBC wrote:House Democrats will try to advance a raft of gun control bills on Thursday in the wake of two mass shootings that rocked the nation earlier this month.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., has summoned lawmakers to mark up gun legislation that combines eight separate bills.

The Raise the Age Act would lift the purchasing age for semiautomatic rifles from 18 to 21, while the Keep Americans Safe Act would bar large capacity magazines.

Senate Republicans are nearly certain to block the legislation if it passes the House.
Note the tightly-worded language here: "I know that it makes no sense to be able to purchase something that can fire up to 300 rounds.” - Biden
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 10:35
CNBC wrote:House Democrats will try to advance a raft of gun control bills on Thursday in the wake of two mass shootings that rocked the nation earlier this month.

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jerry Nadler, D-N.Y., has summoned lawmakers to mark up gun legislation that combines eight separate bills.

The Raise the Age Act would lift the purchasing age for semiautomatic rifles from 18 to 21, while the Keep Americans Safe Act would bar large capacity magazines.

Senate Republicans are nearly certain to block the legislation if it passes the House.
Note the tightly-worded language here: "I know that it makes no sense to be able to purchase something that can fire up to 300 rounds.” - Biden
Biden misspeaks a lot. We all do, at least from time to time. What’s the context of the above quote? Biden is a gun owner, so is Kamala Harris. But sure enough, lots of Democrats tend to say some dumb things about guns because many aren’t familiar with them. Think about it from a big city POV. Apart from a few enthusiasts, there is virtually no practical use for guns for most people. They don’t farm, they don’t hunt and getting access to a firing line is often difficult and expensive. But gun control advocates understand one thing very well. THEY DON’T WANT TO GET SHOT. They really hate kids getting shot! The gun lobby wants to demonize gun reform advocates as people who hate freedom. No, kids frequently getting shot at school isn’t freedom. Gun reform advocates don’t want to get shot or see others get shot.

I own guns, about 20 of them. As much as I hate gun control and hate the culture of irresponsibility, I also know we need gun reform and various other reforms. It is madness to believe that the only solution to these mass shootings is creating conditions of harder targets. It’s just nuts! There is different kinds of gun culture, and a lot of gun culture we have today isn’t good. Technology and tools change people’s behaviors. The “tactical” fashion is a sick one.

On the other hand, there are good things about gun use and gun ownership too. Big city liberals ought to consider that more too. But they are no more thoughtful than the typical red state country boy.

The liberals and leftists in Canada are taking the most extreme measures possible against gun ownership. They are strictly to be used for sport, hunting and pest control. It’s a sad time for law abiding gun owners there. Such is the way it must be because unfortunately, there are too many people out there with guns who shouldn’t have them.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:25
coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:13 . . .The interesting point is that Biden said "high-caliber" guns, not understanding that "caliber" refers to the diameter of the bullet being used.* His use of "caliber" in this context reveals his utter ignorance of the subject, and the gleeful repetition of his faux pas by the media and gun control supporters reveals their ignorance. "Caliber" isn't relevant to the gun control discussion. . .
I'd give Ol' Joe a pass on this and presume that he misspoke - saying "caliber" when he meant "capacity". He does that a lot.
High-power is a nother possibility that came to mind. However, in order for him to have misspoken, he would have to actually undertand the difference between caliber and capacity. I'm not under the impression that any of these guys get such fine distinctions.
Even if he (and others) don't understand the completely disparate meanings, they know what they don't want and that's guns that "hold a lot of bullets". Within reason - excluding, say, bazookas - the caliber doesn't matter to them and the typical non-gun-owner doesn't know or care what the differences are between a .223 and a 30-06.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
tuttle
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by tuttle »

I have a theory that all these liberal pundits and politicians are purposefully not accurate about their descriptions of guns so that when they create policy to begin restricting certain types of guns, their inaccuracy will extend to more than they've let on.

For example:

CNN's definition of 'assault rifles' covers some handguns.
"tuttle isn't saved" - Legion
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

tuttle wrote: 31 May 2022, 13:31 I have a theory that all these liberal pundits and politicians are purposefully not accurate about their descriptions of guns so that when they create policy to begin restricting certain types of guns, their inaccuracy will extend to more than they've let on.

For example:

CNN's definition of 'assault rifles' covers some handguns.
I suppose you also have a theory that Biden stole the election too? Of course I’m taking a big guess and leap, but at this point I’m truly convinced that the average Republican today are so ideologically driven that objective reality is all but gone.

Now, I’ve seen CNN try to explain the dangers of assault weapons. They sometimes bungle it, but again, they get the basic idea that some of these guns are capable of laying down more fire than any civilian needs.

It’s baffling to me how the social conservatives claim to be pro-life then turn around and positively refuse to acknowledge that easy access to guns is fundamentally deadly. They refuse! I have heard some the dumbest excuses put forth by Republicans lately for why mass shootings are happening and what to do about it. Everything from arming teachers, to installing bullet proof glass, having every student get into school through one door, having armed security behind that one door. It’s absolutely absurd!
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

FredS wrote: 31 May 2022, 12:29
coco wrote: 31 May 2022, 06:25
Even if he (and others) don't understand the completely disparate meanings, they know what they don't want and that's guns that "hold a lot of bullets". Within reason - excluding, say, bazookas - the caliber doesn't matter to them and the typical non-gun-owner doesn't know or care what the differences are between a .223 and a 30-06.
The average non gun owner doesn’t know or care the difference between the 223 and 30-06 because when it comes to killing kids they’re about equal. Lots of bullets in a short amount of time and the sense of power the malcontents have with them are more the issue. The 223 compares quite favorably to the 30-06 in its ability to dump energy into deer or human sized targets. That is quite good when hunting deer. Of course such concerns of dispatching deer are not on the mind of most folks these days. Not the typical liberal or progressive and not even most gun buyers today.
FredS
A Rotten Mexican Woman
A Rotten Mexican Woman

Gun Control 2022

Post by FredS »

There's a large disconnect between your average republican and your average mass murderer. Many republicans hold to the "guns aren't the problem, godless schools and society is the problem." Of course they're right. Murder is illegal, but evil men (it's almost always men) do it anyway. Many of us here own guns and we've never murdered anyone, so having a gun isn't the root issue. Having a closet full of semi-automatic rifles doesn't turn us in to mass murderers. Having a 9mm in your belt doesn't turn you into a shooter when someone cuts you off in traffic. But the shooters aren't like you and me. They're broken. They're off. They're disconnected. Relatively easy access to semi-autos makes it easy for them to kill a lot of people when they finally go over the edge.

In short, times are different than they were when I parked in my high school lot with a shotgun hanging in my truck. My high school had maybe two wackadoodles. Schools now have a dozen. Bullying is way worse. There are reasons why every parent who can find an alternative, doesn't send their kids to public schools. Bullying and mental health are at the top of the list.

I don't know how to fix this. I don't want to take your guns. I just don't want bad guys shooting our kids like fish in a barrel. Surely we can agree that they need to be stopped. Don't let them have guns. Identify and arrest them before they kill. Put them in the hospital. Shoot them at the schoolhouse door. Whatever. Just stop saying "Guns aren't the problem". We're too far past that now.
If we ever get to heaven boys, it ain't because we ain't done nothin' wrong. - Kris Kristofferson
Thunktank
Sunday School Teacher
Sunday School Teacher

Gun Control 2022

Post by Thunktank »

Fred, I completely understand what you just said, mostly agree with it, to a point. Most folks regardless of political affiliation don’t murder people or have any desire to. I also used to take guns to school to go hunting with friends after class was out. It was wonderful. It’s a shame we can’t have that anymore. Things have changed including gun toting, God proclaiming Christians. You and I used to see guns as tools or sporting equipment on the farms and in the woods. In a pinch they could defend the home. But I remember when most God fearing conservatives weren’t all that concerned about having bigger magazines and carrying guns around all the time. But somewhere along the way, we learned how to make our trucks bigger and bigger, our guns easier and easier to reload and found the money to do it. Then we became more urbanized, fewer hunted, more people became more interested in “self defense” to the point they made a hobby of it! After all, with all these guns around we better be ready with the latest and greatest guns and techniques!

There are a few very dangerous people. They will always be dangerous. But I steadfastly stand by the belief that “guns” are part of the problem too. They have become an outsized part of our lives. The fact is, there are just too many folks out there with guns and an idea about guns that simply shouldn’t be. It’s not sane or healthy collectively. While some Democrats would like to see all guns gone, must of us don’t. Most Democrats I know have no issue with me owning the guns I do for the reasons I own them. But we have every right to call into the question the current attitudes about guns and “self defense” and how ultimately, they end up where they shouldn’t far too often. We really are outliers in the first world about the sheer per capita gun violence for mass shootings. The easy access and types of guns being sold have something to do with it.